Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2007, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,471 times

Advertisements

My parents are in their mid-60's and looking to retire in NC. They have lived most of their lives in NYC, but have gotten used to a slower pace and southern hospitality while living in Louisiana for the past 2 years. They are considering the Raleigh/Durham area or the Charlotte area. My mother is most concerned with culture (museums, shows, art, etc.) and public transportation or very light traffic (as she is not fond of driving after 40 years of living in Manhattan). My father would prefer a more laid back, suburban, you know all your neighbors type of atmosphere. Also, some semblance of a jewish community would be nice. I have heard that there is a great jewish community center in Charlotte- is there something similar in Raleigh/Durham?

Basically, I am looking for real peoples takes on daily life in these areas for a more mature couple. Is there some other city they haven't thought of that might meet their needs better? Any advice would be great. I have friends who lived in both areas, and have given their opinions, but my parents would like to hear the opinion of people closer to their age in order to make a better decision.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 09:13 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queeene1 View Post
My parents are in their mid-60's and looking to retire in NC. They have lived most of their lives in NYC, but have gotten used to a slower pace and southern hospitality while living in Louisiana for the past 2 years. They are considering the Raleigh/Durham area or the Charlotte area. My mother is most concerned with culture (museums, shows, art, etc.) and public transportation or very light traffic (as she is not fond of driving after 40 years of living in Manhattan). My father would prefer a more laid back, suburban, you know all your neighbors type of atmosphere. Also, some semblance of a jewish community would be nice. I have heard that there is a great jewish community center in Charlotte- is there something similar in Raleigh/Durham?

Basically, I am looking for real peoples takes on daily life in these areas for a more mature couple. Is there some other city they haven't thought of that might meet their needs better? Any advice would be great. I have friends who lived in both areas, and have given their opinions, but my parents would like to hear the opinion of people closer to their age in order to make a better decision.

Thanks in advance!
Based on what you are describing... I would encourage you and them to take a look at Chapel Hill and its sister city, Carrboro. UNC's flagship campus is based there, and it's one of the very best public universities in the U.S., with lots of museums, cultural activities, chances to take classes at the school, etc. Chapel Hill has a mixed feel between being your typical college town and a sort-of suburban feel. Of particular note for someone looking to age-in-place: Chapel Hill has a FREE and quite extensive public bus system that connects the whole city, so if they want to go around town to see something, go shopping, etc., they don't need to drive.

I'm a younger person myself, so I can't speak first-hand to retiring there or one's retirement needs. Also, I don't know what synagogues or other Jewish community there is there. However, based on the needs you've expressed, it'd be the first thing that would come to my mind in the Raleigh-Durham area.

Good luck!

Old 01-29-2007, 09:01 AM

942 posts, read 1,393,058 times
Hi: I saw your post on here, I don't live in North Carolina, but I am doing my own retirement research, Im 57 now. Some of your parents concerns are the same as mine, such as wanting public transit, and know your neighbors type of atmosphere. Im not Jewish, but I want some type of diversity in my life also, whether it be jewish or anything else. I am looking at both charlotte and RDU. I have my concerns, I wont find what I need, some people I have met, have told me alot of the Raleigh area is more less students and very young, thats fine, but will it always be fine, I don't know. Most told me public transit is not of much interest there, they do not want any type of light rail, and the bus systems is not very efficient, time wise or locations served. Charlotte is building their light rail, and has a larger public transit system. I don't know what their infrastructure is there, I understand the metro area is growing very quickly, and most likely will resemble the Atlanta area in the years ahead, but I am beginning more research on Charlotte at present, and see what happens. I prefer a warmer climate for my later years, and have had to cross Florida and Arizona off my list, there are too many of them moving to oregon because of the problems in those states, so that is a red warning flag for me on those places. If you learn anything in your research, please post it, and I will do the same. Good Luck.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:11 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,854,130 times
OREGONRAIN, I too am in the process of researching a retirement location. We currently live in Texas (Houston) and at one time were considering Oregon. My sister lives in Corvallis and she is just about all the family I have left plus we have become very fond of Oregon during our many trips to see her. But for a variety of reasons have now opted for North Carolina, Raleigh especially. We wanted a warmer, four season climate, a city much smaller than Houston for traffic reasons, plenty of good restaurants, theater, shopping, a good sized airport, first class medical facilities and a reasonable cost of living. After visiting several other possible locations we have settled on Raleigh as it meets virtually every one of our requirements. In addition, as both my husband and I would like some sort of employment, the Triangle has a very robust economy. Florida and Arizona were never in consideration but we looked at Tennessee, Oregon, Virginia and Kentucky as well as South Carolina. North Carolina won hands down. Coming from a city that has everything one could ever want except for weather and ease of mobility, it takes a lot to attract us but Raleigh sure did in spades.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:16 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,723 times
In Indianland, SC (a suburb south of Charlotte), there is a Sun City retirement community that is very nice. It's relitively close to the Jewish Community Center in Charlotte (my boys played at a basketball camp there and the campus/facilities are stunningly beautiful. The people there were the salt of the earth. Very nice)!!!

Old 01-29-2007, 11:53 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times
OREGON RAIN, we are also residents of Oregon (Portland area) wishing to relocate to a place suitable for retirement -- not quite there yet. We've considered and visited New Mexico or Arizona and ruled them out. After visiting Raleigh this past fall, we decided it has most of what we are seeking. The Raleigh area is just as lovely as Portland, but better weather, jobs and lower home prices and it's pretty green -- just like Oregon. We loved the fact that there are so many parks and lakes located in close proximity to the city. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina