Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 09:59 AM

577 posts, read 1,902,048 times

Advertisements

This is bad news, how many of these do you think are related to people moving here thinking its cheap and then not making enough to survive? Or not even able to find jobs because they moved wityh out one. Home foreclosures skyrocket in North Carolina – up 127% from 2007 :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 10:05 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
i think it is true that some people come down here thinking what a great deal the homes are --compared to where they are from. they have a vision of what they would love to have, they get it and forget that the stress was what they were trying to get away from in the first place.
when we moved down here, i made sure we spent under a certain amount because i didnt need a 2500 sq ft house, and what i really didnt need was all the stress that i had back home.
the whole point for me was to get away from all that, be able to stay home and still have a house of our own.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:11 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
How many of these people really knew in their gut that they couldn't afford the payments, but since the banks approved them anyway they jumped off the deep end anyway figuring 'something will work out'.

And by golly something has worked out, energy and food costs soared and people sink. It is NOT the place of government to bail out people that choose to make bad decisions, nor to bail out banks that made risky loans out of greed.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:34 AM

The headline qoute from wral: The surge in real estate actions in the state is more than double the U.S. increase, which jumped 55 percent, a tracking firm said Thursday............................Nc has doubled the us average for foreclosures wow what a mess. what state do you think the flippers are thinking about rigt now.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:10 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
i honestly dont think flips would work here. many of the older homes are in bad neighborhoods and need to just be torn down. the rest are new.
i feel like as long as builders keep building new, no one is going to want a flip, when they can get a better deal new.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:28 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Wink Less than you think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
This is bad news, how many of these do you think are related to people moving here thinking its cheap and then not making enough to survive?
I would say less than 5%. I think it has more to do with people who were already in NC for whatever reason and they got in over the head with homes they couldn't afford in the first place or bad loan programs that they should have known better than to have signed.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:32 PM

I have to disagree here based on a couple of facts. Homes in the area were alot more affordable pre transplant surge(4 years ago). Most of the forclosures in this area (Raleigh) are high end, and newer homes. also (i would assume)exsisting residents of nc had jobs that payed nc salary, compared to transplants whom see a 1300 sq foot house at 180,000 as a deal because salary much higher in the NE ,but not the case for people who are from here. And lastly the last one in the door first one out, in regards to job cuts, new residents would be more at risk of losing there jobs and homes then a long term resident working inthe same job for many years. But if you find facts to go the other way I will bite.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:37 PM

36 posts, read 149,397 times
I agree with you that it is all the yankees who moved down South and can't pay the bills. People dont' understand that while everything is cheaper, you don't make as much. I think all this is temporary though, NC is booming.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:44 PM

Im not saying its Yankees or westies or florida halfbacks; but it is the whole crazy move here without a job, Nc is cheap you will have a better life thing going down in flames. It makes no sense to think that people who lived in a place all their lifes and worked in the state at state wage would over price themselves in homes at a rate of 127 %. you can see all over this board that people are running for the light from other states and not making good choices in a state they are clueless in. wages equal home price thats why ny nj ca are so expensive..also Im not going to blame some one just because they are from some where else, alot of these transplants are good folks and are struggling because they followed the hype.

Last edited by NC man; 08-14-2008 at 06:54 PM..

Old 08-14-2008, 10:00 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
Homes in the area were alot more affordable pre transplant surge(4 years ago).
Surge started only 4 years ago???

I'm thinking the surge started more like 20 + years ago when IBM came to town. Definitely way more than just 4 years ago.

FWIW, the foreclosure numbers I've seen for the triangle point more towards the lower end of the market in areas of more affordable homes for first time buyers like in SE Raleigh and outlying areas of Wake County like Fuquay.

I still think it has more to do with people who got in over their heads with bad 0% down loans and adjustable ARMS. Like the rest of the country, that is unless you think everyone across the country is going into foreclosure because they moved without a job. I doubt it myself. The foreclosure crisis is a national phenomenon, hardly isolated to NC or Raleigh for that matter.

Also, I know many 40-50 year old career workers who would strongly disagree with your "last in first out" theory about job cuts. That is hardly the case these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina