Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:34 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times

Advertisements

So what does everyone like: the mountains, the city, or the beach? I think we are lucky to have all three (even though I don't really think of Raleigh as big city). And where are some of your favorite spots?

I'm a mountain person, definitely. I enjoy exploring the outdoors and breathing in clean mountain air. Unfortunately, we haven't taken many trips to the mountains, so I'm hoping that some of you can give me some ideas of where to take a fall trip. I enjoyed the beach the few times I was there, but I like the mountains much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 08:51 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
What type of mountain place are you looking for . We have some favorites
I will share, but are you looking for a quiet get away or place for kids??

Old 08-27-2008, 09:00 AM

892 posts, read 3,161,897 times
The mountains. No favorite yet...

Old 08-27-2008, 09:18 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
A quiet get away?? I wish... no I'm thinking with kids. My 5 year old is a surprisingly good hiker and keeps up pretty well. We put the little one in a pack when we go out. So any kid friendly mountain spots would be most helpful.

Any beach lovers out there?

Old 08-27-2008, 09:24 AM

152 posts, read 541,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
What type of mountain place are you looking for . We have some favorites
I will share, but are you looking for a quiet get away or place for kids??

Actually, I'd be interested in both.

To the OP--I vote for the mountains, especially long term. We love going to the beach but it always seems crowded and I think, long term, I'd get annoyed with sand on a daily basis. I'd also be bothered about property maintance with coastal storms. I think that'd be less of a concern in the mountains.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:32 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
It ranks like this for me: mountains, city, beach...but I do like all three. My preference for beaches is tropical rather than the NC coast, but I "tolerate" a week at the OBX each year...its really quite nice.

As for the mountains, I'm a sucker for the NC High Country. Due to its northern locale in the state and elevations ranging from 3000'-5500' the climate is near perfect IMO. You'll generally find temps there are between 10 & 20 degrees cooler than in the piedmont. Most areas are somewhat family friendly there...though Boone & Blowing Rock get very crowded in the fall between all the students & the "leaf lookers".

My personal recommendation would be Ashe County in and around West Jefferson. Quaint small town with decent food and a cool arts scene. Much slower and more laid back than other parts of the High Country, and there are tons of great cabins around that are ideal for a family. Just 30-40 min. north of there in VA, the Mount Rogers NRA & Grayson Highlands State Park offers some of the best hiking on the east coast...and its great for kids b/c there are huge balds and wild ponies everywhere! There's also Mount Jefferson SRA and the New River State Park in Ashe Cty, and the BRP is right there, too!

Old 08-27-2008, 10:56 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
A favorite area of mine is Bryson City. Great place for family car camping, and plenty of houses, cottages or hotels if that isn't your thing. Smoky mountain railroad runs out of there, fun for kids, train ride through the mountains. Ducky/raft trips down the tuckaseegee, a very easy class 1-2 river, great for a 5 year old). Lots of great hiking nearby, but my favorite place is Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest, about an hour from Bryson City, which is an old growth forest that will make you think you've been transported to the pacific northwest. Has a very easy two mile loop, perfect for little ones. Near Joyce Kilmer is the Cherohala Skyway, which is probably the most spectacular drive on the east coast...rises from 3000 feet to over 5500 feet, giving tremendous views of the southern smokies and the santeetah river valley. Several pulloffs along it's 20-30 mile length, with trails dropping off the ridge.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:12 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Things to do in the mountains with kids go towards boone and explore the following in that area

Tweetsie Railroad: North Carolina's Original Family Theme Park Details Wild West theme park located in the Appalachian Mountains featuring a 3-mile ride on a historic steam railroad,

Mystery Hill Mystery Hill, home of the Hall of Mystery and the Mystery House, is the only place where a ball rolls uphill

Grandfather Mountainis privately owned and operated as a nature preserve and tourist attraction and is best known for its mile-high swinging bridge,

Sliding Rock bring some old clothes for this event and change of clothes and towels.

LinvilleCaverns.com explore the underside of the mountains

Gem Mining in North Carolina is Great Fun at The Greater Foscoe Mining Company and Facets search for jewels

Old 08-27-2008, 12:50 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
Thanks for the links, SunnyKayak!

Sandycat, where have you been so far? What did you like about the various places?

Old 08-27-2008, 01:33 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,809 times
Beach, beach, and then night beach. OK so I'm a beach person. Nothing like the ocean waves pounding the surf over and over again on a hot afternoons sun till the sun set for yet anther day. Evening strolls on the beach watching the seemingly endless array of amateur beach fireworks and cool breezes!

I like the mountains that face the beach but none to be had in NC. uhhh-haaa...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina