Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 01:56 PM

52 posts, read 130,346 times

Advertisements

Hello NC!! Well, the time is finally here... we put our house on the market in hopes to move down to NC with our famiy. I am now officially scared. We would like to be down by the new school year but selling a house here in NY i'm told is slow right now. Last year we sold our first home in 2 weeks so i'm hoping that will happen here with this one. If not.. i'm out to pick up a St.Joseph's statue. We were looking in the Raleigh area we went down a few months ago and almost signed a contract in Holly Springs. While we were there we checked out other surrounding areas.Reading these posts though, I would like to know more about Matthews... I am so confused.lol. After convincing this would be the best thing for our family, I am so scared of moving down and not being happy with the area. We would obviously do some research online since there is no way we can go back and forth to see. We are trying to see if these new built communities would be okay for our large family or are we better off getting an older house that is already fenced in and broken in so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2006, 02:38 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Well, for one thing, Matthews is nowhere near the triangle, it's outside of Charlotte lol. I'd suggest renting for your first year here in case you don't like it. Then it would be easier to move back if you decide to. There are a lot of nice townhomes in the area that would be a decent place for a family to live in while renting.

Old 06-03-2006, 07:13 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,830,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurasnuthouse
Hello NC!! Well, the time is finally here... we put our house on the market in hopes to move down to NC with our famiy. I am now officially scared. We would like to be down by the new school year but selling a house here in NY i'm told is slow right now. Last year we sold our first home in 2 weeks so i'm hoping that will happen here with this one. If not.. i'm out to pick up a St.Joseph's statue. We were looking in the Raleigh area we went down a few months ago and almost signed a contract in Holly Springs. While we were there we checked out other surrounding areas.Reading these posts though, I would like to know more about Matthews... I am so confused.lol. After convincing this would be the best thing for our family, I am so scared of moving down and not being happy with the area. We would obviously do some research online since there is no way we can go back and forth to see. We are trying to see if these new built communities would be okay for our large family or are we better off getting an older house that is already fenced in and broken in so to speak.
Well, same here in Orange County, CA. Houses last year sold in days, have had ours up since Feb and not even a bite. Hubby did bury the St Joseph Statue and it hasn't done diddly squat. We are hoping tomorrow our lucky "13th" open house will do something, but I have lost all hope on open houses. We aslo have a black cat which is bad luck but he has 6 toes which is suppose to be good luck. Maybe I should rub his lucky cat butt all over the house and yard! I'll try about anything now. Gotta go check the internet to see if their is a write up on lucky cat butts, I'll keep you posted.

Old 06-03-2006, 07:20 PM

195 posts, read 217,534 times
I agree. This last summer or even months ago, if your house didn't sell in 10 days or less something was wrong with it or priced to high. Now, wife (RE Broker) is saying she is seeing houses sitting for 120 days! The buyers asking for closing costs too. Which was rare or not heard of months ago.

Old 06-03-2006, 08:18 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,697,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound4NC
I agree. This last summer or even months ago, if your house didn't sell in 10 days or less something was wrong with it or priced to high. Now, wife (RE Broker) is saying she is seeing houses sitting for 120 days! The buyers asking for closing costs too. Which was rare or not heard of months ago.
The house we're buying in Holly Springs was on the market for several months. New homes are still being built in this particular subdivision, which I'm sure didn't help. We asked for the seller to pay for all of our closing costs, and she agreed. It doesn't hurt to ask...

Old 06-03-2006, 08:23 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
lol, you suckered that lady. Good Job! Yeah, houses in this area tend to take a long time to sell because most people want to build.

Old 06-03-2006, 08:36 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,697,311 times
I wouldn't say suckered. There's just a lot more bargaining power with existing homes since there is so much new construction. In our case, we wanted a house that already had the landscaping, deck, fenced-in yard, etc. done. Plus we asked for, and got, all the appliances. Just one less thing to buy! Now we can just move in and enjoy the place....

Old 06-04-2006, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
Well, same here in Orange County, CA. Houses last year sold in days, have had ours up since Feb and not even a bite. Hubby did bury the St Joseph Statue and it hasn't done diddly squat. We are hoping tomorrow our lucky "13th" open house will do something, but I have lost all hope on open houses. We aslo have a black cat which is bad luck but he has 6 toes which is suppose to be good luck. Maybe I should rub his lucky cat butt all over the house and yard! I'll try about anything now. Gotta go check the internet to see if their is a write up on lucky cat butts, I'll keep you posted.
Thanks so much for the laugh this morning! I wish you luck today with your open house.. let us know how it goes!

Old 06-04-2006, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Well, for one thing, Matthews is nowhere near the triangle, it's outside of Charlotte lol. I'd suggest renting for your first year here in case you don't like it. Then it would be easier to move back if you decide to. There are a lot of nice townhomes in the area that would be a decent place for a family to live in while renting.
I know that the Matthews area is nowhere near where we were originally looking.. however, seeing that people on this board have said it's a nice place...i'd be interested in looking there also. We are not against renting the first year...the only thing with a town house is we have alot of children. They need room, kwim? I'm only going by what town homes are like here.. maybe they are different down there but a townhome here are no bigger than 3 small bedrooms. I know I have to go down to see but doing lots of work online doesn't hurt.lol.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:26 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,830,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurasnuthouse
Thanks so much for the laugh this morning! I wish you luck today with your open house.. let us know how it goes!
So much for the open house today, 1 person! It was funny after we came back our realtor said she bought 3 St Joseph Statues off of E-bay. Keep me posted on your sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina