Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2007, 01:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,926 times

Advertisements

My husband and I and our four children are relocating to NC in the next couple of months and we are going back and forth between Raleigh and Charlotte. I on one hand am very laid back and enjoy staying at home with the children and playing with them in our neighborhood. My husband on the other hand likes going out from time to time to a club or to a bar. Which are would be good for our children is my main concern.

I have four daughters and I've been born and raised in Washington DC and I don't want this for them. My problem is, I've seen so many threads about the crime in Charlotte and believe me DC is no better in certain parts and I'm moving so that my children can breathe better. Hearing gun shots and hiding in my own house is not acceptable, so we are so outta here come February. So if ANYBODY can give my ANY info on good neighborhoods in both Raleigh and Charlotte, that would be good.

Also, jobs are also essential to my relocating and I work in the banking/accounting industry and my husband work general labor/warehouse jobs so that's another concern we have, being able to live in a town that's close to work or within driving distance to work and school.

Lastly, we are looking to rent a 3 bedroom house or apartment and we are at a budget of no more than $825. Is this realistic? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 02:07 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCgirl_20001 View Post
Lastly, we are looking to rent a 3 bedroom house or apartment and we are at a budget of no more than $825. Is this realistic?
For a one bedroom, maybe. Three bedrooms, nope. For a house, unlikely.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:40 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
Raleigh/Durham is a better area than Charlotte, first of all it is much closer to D.C. so you can visit family and friends in D.C. more easily, it also has a more educated population. Wake County (Raleigh) has better schools than Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) and the area doesn't have as much of a "southern" conservative feel. You won't be able to find a 3 bedroom house for $825 a month in a nice area, but bump that up by $100 to $200 and you would find them. $825 will get you a 2 bedroom apartment in good areas of Raleigh.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:20 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,621,549 times
I would say R-DU. Raleigh is one of the most educated areas in the country and has plenty of technological start ups in the area. Both are mid-size cities so theres plenty of bars between the both.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:25 AM

14 posts, read 33,110 times
I Also Wish To Relocate To Nc From Maine To Still Have Seasons But Not Extremes. I'm An Rn With 2 Sons 15&19 My 19 Is In The Marines Though. I Would Like A Nice Area, Job And Reasonable Rent Any Ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina