Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 05:42 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,605 times

Advertisements

I agree that sometimes those websites that rate apartments are not very reliable (just like some of the hotel ones) because it is one's perception of what's good or bad that determines their rating. That is when you have to physically visit the place for yourself so you know that it's where you want to be.

That's just my opinion because I've been burned when I believed others who told me that certain places are "utopia" but turned out to be duds. For example, a lot of people in Chicago have told me they wish they could move to Phoenix and how wonderful it is there. I really thought it was the place for me based on all the glowing recommendations. After many trips there, I realized that there were too many negatives for me personally and I wasn't going back.

If you post the exact apartment names/locations you were looking at, maybe someone here who is familiar with those areas can give you more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2006, 06:02 PM

320 posts, read 1,557,567 times
Readyforchange-

True that age and life experiene can alter ones perception. I am not any where near 60 but I am a Mom and that does alter my perspective. The things I enjoy and want now are different than the things I enjoyed and wanted before marriage and motherhood. I used to enjoy the nightlife and going out all of the time. Now I prefer dinner parties with friends or eating out in nice restaurants. Although the one thing which has not changed is my style. I have always been a mix of conservative, trendy and eclectic all in one. However, young or "slightly" older, it has always been a priority for me to pick an area to live that feels safe and secure (in the past it was for myself, and now it is for my DD). When I say safe and secure, I do not mean a retirement development. A lot of times those aren't even in safe areas. What I usually look for in a safe area is an area that is a low crime, newer, upscale type of area. An area that is less crowded and even slightly rural with easy access to the city is best IMHO.

It may help you to research the area by first going to the website for NC. I think it is something like ncgov.com. You can also go to the chamber of commerce websites for the counties or cities you are considering. For Raleigh, try raleighchamber.org. For Wilmington, try wilmingtonchamber.org. You can request relocation information from each of these sources. I think there is also a website called erelocationprofessionals that you can order free relocation packages on any area you are considering.

You can check city-data for crime stats, medium income, house price, age, marital status, etc.

Most all areas have an apartment guide. You can probably have one sent to you by mail. You can monitor the paper for the areas you are considering to see what is said about certain areas in the news. You can also check out the local news stations online and see what makes the news there. If there are any college campuses (I know Wilmington has one), you can also read the campus newspaper. You might even be able to find a roommate through the college paper.

Another source to consider is contacting local churches. I do not know if you are affliated with any particular church or denomination, but if you are find a church of the same denomination in the area and ask them to tell you about the area and to refer you to a decent, clean, safe apt complex.

You can also contact the police for info on certain apt complexes. You may even want to try checking out the website for the police department in the area you are considering. Sometimes they will have helpful info. There maybe several depts within an area though. Where I live in KY, we have city, county (sheriff's dept), and state police all for diffferent streets and areas.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick
I agree that sometimes those websites that rate apartments are not very reliable (just like some of the hotel ones) because it is one's perception of what's good or bad that determines their rating. That is when you have to physically visit the place for yourself so you know that it's where you want to be.

That's just my opinion because I've been burned when I believed others who told me that certain places are "utopia" but turned out to be duds. For example, a lot of people in Chicago have told me they wish they could move to Phoenix and how wonderful it is there. I really thought it was the place for me based on all the glowing recommendations. After many trips there, I realized that there were too many negatives for me personally and I wasn't going back.

If you post the exact apartment names/locations you were looking at, maybe someone here who is familiar with those areas can give you more info.
Good points. I have family that moved to Arizona base on the recommendations of others. It turns out that they are not so happy there and are now looking to move again.

Everyone is different and what they want and expect in a hometown and home in general is different. If it is not the same as what we like or want that does not make it wrong, only different.

I also wanted to mention to Readyforchange that apartments located next to college campuses are usually cheaper than others but they are also not as nice. Keep that in mind. It could be that some of the reviews you are seeing are for these type of apartments. Try looking for an apartment complex that is not catering to the college students.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:09 PM

22 posts, read 60,303 times
Oo! Calling the police department is a fantastic idea! They'd know better than anyone where the better places to be are! Jewels, I wasn't discrediting you for any of your advice that you have so graciously given me. I appreciate it more than you know! I was just saying that because I notice that there are some people who have different levels of safety. An old friend of mine was fearless, she carried a can of pepper spray and called it good, if you know what I mean. She could go just about anywhere and not be worried about anything or anyone for that matter! It was wild.

I will definitely look at a more stable, reliable living for adults and nothing geared towards college students.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:46 PM

Readyforchange,

I didn't take offense to what you said, I just thought it might help if I cleared up that I am not a gray haired, old lady and if I gave you a little more info on my standards that way you would know what my advice was based on.

BTW - that was some brave friend you have. I am much more cautious than that. There was a short time that I wasn't (right after high school). I was a little too eager to take risks and probably too trusting as well. Lucky for me, no harm ever came my way. Looking back, I know it could have very easily though. Sometime during college, I started to realize that I was being foolish and should really be more careful. From them on I have always tried to be aware of my surroundings.

Even from the time I was single, I always tried to make sure that I lived in a low crime area. These areas were usually upscale areas. I couldn't really afford a great place in an area like this so I would look for the cheapest place in the best area. Another time I found a roommate (she worked at the mall and we meet while I was shopping, probably not the best way to find a roomie) and we split an apartment in a gated community.

There are lots of options available to you just becareful. Don't be too trusting of anyone or any area. Be aware that bad things happen even in the best of places. Also be aware that city life can offer a lot of great things but it also can offer a lot of dangerous situations.

I know you have mentioned the Raleigh and Wilmington areas as possibilities. You may also want to consider Charlotte.

What other states and cities are you considering?

Old 06-17-2006, 10:56 AM

Jewels36,

It is rather funny, because it seems that I am completely the opposite of what you described. It is extremely hard for me to trust people because of the situation I have gotten shoved into. The way I see it, I feel like if I cannot trust my own parents and relatives... who on this earth can I possibly trust more?! You know?

And I would love to live in a gated community where there are people around always watching and aware of the surroundings but I also do not have a lot of money to spend on a place by myself. Did you ever find yourself or your roomate tied down with expenses at the gated community?! Or was it pretty comfortable for you??

I'll share with you the exact list that I made of possibilities and things I consider fitting for me:

Important:

Safety - drugs, burglary, terrorist target spots
Access to a bigger city area - convience in commuting to work
Lower costs of living and taxes
Closer to a beach or within reasonable driving distance
Careers & jobs are in abundance
City is welcoming to younger audiences (20-30 range)
Chances of accumulated snowfall in the winter are slim
Family is not at arms length - Atlanta & Michigan
Hurricane season will not be feared every year

**That list gets added to every now and then when I think of things but those are a few bits that I find important. Also a note is that I like cold weather, I'm just not a fan of all of the snow we get here from November to March. I know you can never tell where a terrorist is going to plot an attack but the main areas we all have seemed to continue talking about possible threats are New York, Los Angeles and D.C. And Hurricanes are to be feared, but places in the Gulf and near Florida are too risky for me.

Places I have considered:

Wilmington, NC
Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill/Cary, NC
Charlotte, NC
Fayetteville, NC
Charleston, SC

**This list grows and decreases all the time too. And I'm trying to steer clear of the city and look at the little towns outside of the cities to cut down on cost a bit too.

Old 06-17-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyforchange
Oo! Calling the police department is a fantastic idea! They'd know better than anyone where the better places to be are!
Did you call any police stations in the areas you mentioned in your last post:
"Places I have considered:

Wilmington, NC
Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill/Cary, NC
Charlotte, NC
Fayetteville, NC
Charleston, SC"

I just wondered what they information they gave you. If you did find out anything interesting, please post it here or PM me. Thanks!

Old 06-17-2006, 12:32 PM

Itchick, although I did try to call a couple of police stations it seems as though the offices are closed only for emergencies. I'm going to call back perhaps Monday afternoon to see if I can get through and call each individual one. I will record what they tell me and make sure you get a copy. Is there anything specific that you would like me to ask, I wouldn't mind asking any questions you may have while I'm on the line with them?! Let me know!

Old 06-17-2006, 01:02 PM

I think Cary, NC is ranked among the top 10 safest cities.

Raleigh, Charlotte, and Wilmington are ranked among the top in cities to do business but Charlotte and Wilmington rank on the high side for crime. One note, however, Wilmington ranks high in crime due to number of burglaries. They are low in rapes/assults/murders. I think the same goes for Charlotte. Raleigh's crime stats are not that bad.

Of course, if you live in some of the smaller communities surrounding these cities, you won't have to worry about it that much. Those areas are usually much safer.

I don't know if you have ever considered KY, but both Lexington and Louisville are considered fairly safe cities. I remember several years ago that Lexingotn was ranked the #1 city for single women to live.

As far as weather and terrorists risk goes, riskandinsurance.com has a Big City Catastrophe Risk list. They rank cities by their potential for certain risk such as terrorism, earthquakes, hurricanes, bad storms... Charlotte ranks low on the earthquake and terrorism list and medium for storms and hurricanes. Louisville and Lexington are medium for storms and low for all other catastrophes. You can check out the other cities you are interested in on their website.

Oh, almost forgot, the roommate situation worked out great for me. It helped us to beable to afford a really nice place that neither of us could afford on our own. On our own, the place we would have been looking at would have been scary. We split rent, electric, basic phone and cable. We were each responsible for our own long distance - we didn't have the one price long distnace options that are availbale now. Sometimes we bought food together, other times we bought seperately. We never really had any problems with that. The only problem we had is that I was very neat and she was not. It was not a major problem but it did bother me some.

We laid out some ground rules before entering into our agreement to room together. Since I did not smoke, no smoking was to be done inside. All smoking was to be done on the patio, or outside somewhere. Neither of us iused drugs but I laid that down as a ground rule upfront too, just in case it became an issue - no drugs in the apartment ever. No guys sleeping over. No big parties. If she had friends over while I was out, she was to make sure they didn't go in my room and vice versa. If one of us was going to get home very late, or if someone was not going to come home, then that person was to call. This rule was mostly so know one would stay up worried and for the general safety.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyforchange
Itchick, although I did try to call a couple of police stations it seems as though the offices are closed only for emergencies. I'm going to call back perhaps Monday afternoon to see if I can get through and call each individual one. I will record what they tell me and make sure you get a copy. Is there anything specific that you would like me to ask, I wouldn't mind asking any questions you may have while I'm on the line with them?! Let me know!
Thank You! The only questions I guess I would have is what would be the property crime numbers and violent crime numbers for 2005 and the first two quarters of 2006 (if they have it available) for the cities mentioned in my previous post. Also if they have any recent statistics of what the current populations of those areas are.

I've checked Sperlings and a few other sites on statistics for those cities and I worry that they only go to 2004, which although somewhat helpful, isn't enough considering all the large numbers of people moving to NC within the last year or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina