Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 10:01 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
doesn't almost every county in NC have a prison?
First, note that this thread is 4 years old. But yeah, what an odd question, "Any prisons near NC area?" Did they not think there were any prisons in the whole state? It's amazing the (apparently) "Mayberry" imagine so many from out of state must have of the 10th (soon to be 9th) most populous and 28th largest state in the US. Where do they consider "NC area"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 11:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
moderator note http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u158/joglynne/Christmas/santa_smiley.gif (broken link)

the OP was banned noted under there name. However we have alot of useful information in this thread this thread will remain open.
See Tutorial Guide below in my signature regarding old threads.

Read this thread and contribute if you like.

You will see alot of our pioneers contributed who still post today

This thread is in first year this forum was created.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-13-2010 at 11:33 PM..

Old 12-15-2010, 06:23 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,337,266 times
OMG!!! I xcapedfrom NJ and you tell me there are prisons in NC?

ok, so where in NC does Bernie reside these days?

Old 12-15-2010, 06:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
http://www.doc.state.nc.us/DOP/list/county.htm (broken link)
Quote:
Cabarrus Correctional Center
Box 158
Mt. Pleasant, NC 28124
(704) 436-6519

Built in 1929, Cabarrus Correctional Center is a minimum security prison for adult males.

Cabarrus was one of 61 field unit prisons renovated or built during the late 1930's to house inmates who worked building roads.

In the original prison, inmates were housed in a building that had two dormitories. A modular dormitory was added in 1978 and later removed. A chapel was built in the early 1970's by the Cabarrus Christian Ministries Association and religious services are provided seven days a week by volunteers.

Lawmakers provided an additional 100-bed dormitory at Cabarrus as part of the $10 million South Piedmont Consent Decree construction authorized in 1985.

Rowan/Cabarrus Community College works with the prison to provide vocational classes in horticulture and pre-employment training. Classes for adult education and preparation for the GED tests are also offered.

Inmates work in a number of jobs. They may be assigned to Department of Transportation road crews or work under contract for local government agencies. Inmates may also be assigned to maintenance or kitchen duties. Inmates nearing parole may participate in work release, leaving the prison for the part of the day to work for a business in the community.

Visitation: Visiting hours are Saturday 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm for inmates whose last names begin with A - E, Sunday from 9:30 am - 11:30 am inmates F - P, and Sunday from 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm for inmates Q - Z. Request for special visits can be made by calling the facility at (704) 436-6519 ext. 227 or ext 231. Special visits are scheduled Monday - Friday between the hours of 9:00 am - 11:00 am or 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm. They are usually scheduled for one hour.

DIRECTIONS: Take I-85 to Concord and head east on N.C. 73. The unit is three-quarters mile east of Mt. Pleasant on the left.
Quote:
Mecklenburg County

Charlotte Correctional Center is a minimum security prison for adult males.

A U.S. Army base was built in 1917 on a 2,340 acre site in southwest Charlotte. The base was named Camp Greene in honor of Revolutionary War hero Nathaniel Greene. It closed March 4, 1919. From this tract of land, E.A. Sing and H.A. Sparrow deeded property to Mecklenburg County for a convict labor camp in the early 1920's. The labor camp was one of 61 field unit prisons renovated or built during the 1930's to house inmates who worked building roads.

The prison's original housing units are still in use today. The 23-acre prison compound sits on a 66 acre site. A dining hall was added in 1975.

Lawmakers provided an additional 146 bed dormitory at Charlotte as part of the $28.5 million Emergency Prison Facilities Development program authorized in 1987. In 1989, one of the old dormitories was converted into an education building.

Central Piedmont Community College works with the prison to provide vocational classes in pre-employment training. Classes for adult education and preparation for the GED tests are also offered.

Inmates nearing parole may participate in work release, leaving the prison for the part of the day to work for a business in the community. Inmates may also be assigned to maintenance or kitchen duties.

Visitation is held on Saturdays and scheduled by the first letter of the inmate's last name according to the following schedule:

A through M 10:00am to 12:00pm
N through Z 1:00pm to 3:00pm

Special visits may be scheduled for out of state visitors with 48 hours advance notice by calling (704) 357-6030. All special visits must be approved by the Superintendent or his designee. Legal visits must be scheduled 24 hours in advance.

DIRECTIONS: Take I-85 to the Billy Graham Freeway. Then take the Billy Graham Freeway to the Tyvola Road/Coliseum exit. Make a right at the first traffic light and another right at the entrance to the Wyndham Garden Hotel. Take a right at Meadow Oak Lane and follow this road to the unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
Not really close, Mt. Pleasant is 30 miles away from Davidson. Most people in the country probably live within 30 miles of a prison and don't even know it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariqgurl View Post
There's Central Prison in Raleigh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
I am surprised that no has mentioned the Federal Prison Complex and Juvenile facilities in Butner, NC (Granville County).
Quote:
All in Butner:

Polk Youth Institution - High Security (State)

Umstead Correctional Center - Minimum Security (State)

Butner Federal Correctional Complex - Low & Medium Security (Federal)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Yes, we have prisons, and grocery stores, and paved roads, and garbage trucks, and schools, and banks, and motels, and gas stations, and just about everything else that every other state in this country has.

Does NC have prisons?......... that's a good one (God I hope that wasn't a serious question)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdie3 View Post
yikes theres one in Elizabeth City....where we are looking at buying a house....thats really nerve racken to me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The original question was "Any prisons around NC area", and the answerer is like DUH, yea.... we got prisons.

As to living next to or near one, that is really a non-issue, other than they aren't the best looking architecture around. If I were looking for home in a new area, I would be scouting out the housing projects (especially if they are like the ones in Asheville) where the thugs, the shiftless, the drug dealers, and the rest of the dregs of our society live when they are not in prison.

I have talked to a guy that unknowingly purchased a house 6 blocks from Pisgah View housing project in Asheville. He has to clean up the drug paraphernalia (mostly needles) out of his yard before mowing or letting his kids play. He has been repeatedly threatened by these "youth" who do nothing but deal drugs and leach off of the system. He has called the cops time and time again, yet nothing changes. He calls, the cops drive by, the rats scurry off, only to be repeated again, and again.

So don't worry about a prison, where bad guys are locked up, supervised, and under control, worry about where they live between time in prison, typically government sponsored housing projects, and Asheville has dozens of these cesspools.

And before some rabid liberal jumps all over this, yes I recognize that a minority of the people that live in "public housing" are really in need of assistance, and would be in desperate straights without them. They too deserve better than being required to live in such a cesspool. I really feel for the good people that are just 'trapped' in these projects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
laws regarding juvenile offenders
North Carolina (http://www.ncjj.org/stateprofiles/profiles/NC06.asp - broken link)

detention centers
ncdjjdp.org | The North Carolina Department of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
There are prisons all over this state, just like anywhere else. Where the OP lives now, there is probably some kind of detention facility of some type near him/her now - just isn't noticeable.

Most offenders are not violent criminals - they are druggies or thieves who stole to get money for drugs.

I knew people who lived a short distance from the prison in Alexander County. (in very nice homes). Every so often someone would break out and steal clothes off someone's clothes line. Guess it isn't so easy to get the clothes now that everyone uses dryers.
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u158/joglynne/Christmas/santa_smiley.gif (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
OMG!!! I xcapedfrom NJ and you tell me there are prisons in NC?

ok, so where in NC does Bernie reside these days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina