Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 02:21 PM

146 posts, read 909,788 times

Advertisements

I have been hearing horror stories about NC cops stun gunning people down there. Is what I hear true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 02:32 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ-FROM-NJ View Post
I have been hearing horror stories about NC cops stun gunning people down there. Is what I hear true?
Ah...no. I am sure there are cases where stun guns have been used...but what stories are you talking about? Cause honestly...I've not heard of the police just using them on everyone for anything.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:12 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times
Quote:
This thread was posted on the NC main forum page:
//www.city-data.com/forum/north...ky-alive.html?

Most of the forum contributors concluded it was a hoax because of the incoonsistencies in the story.

On edit: This was a convenience store owner, not the police.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:10 AM

I heard stories from people I work with here in NJ. It's always an "I heard" story but I just wanted to know.

I am going down to NC to leave the fast paced lifestyle and rudeness behind. I know cops down there still have that good old boy mentality. I just would hate to go down there and they pull me over and ticket me just cause I have NJ plates (which won't be for long).

Old 02-02-2007, 07:52 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,445 times
Default plates say it all

Quote:
I heard stories from people I work with here in NJ. It's always an "I heard" story but I just wanted to know.

I am going down to NC to leave the fast paced lifestyle and rudeness behind. I know cops down there still have that good old boy mentality. I just would hate to go down there and they pull me over and ticket me just cause I have NJ plates (which won't be for long).
when I first moved here and had NJ plates on I was followed for approx 10 miles once from Garner into Fuquay. I mean really followed, changed lanes and speed didnt help the cop was right on my tail and I was following all laws. I think he was waiting for me to do something wrong but then finally pulled me over because the little reg. sticker on my NJ plates was old. I explained to him that NJ doesnt use this anymore like NC does, he ran some checks and then let me go.

Now on a more positive note I was pulled over a few weeks later for rolling through a stop sign. The cop pulled me over was very nice and explained what I did. I apologized and then he asked what I was here for and I explained I was looking for a house as I have just relocated. He reminded me about the time to get a NC license and plates and then wished me luck and let me go with a verbal warning.

With the good comes the bad, you cant control every cops mindset (as long as they dont break or bend the law). Try not to blame all NC cops for a single semi-incident. I have not heard of any incidents.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:12 AM

579 posts, read 2,863,856 times
I don't think you'll have a problem if you aren't breaking the law. 2 out of 3 people here are from somewhere else (including the cops! lol) so they are quite used to people from other states here by now. I always used to hear the stories about NC or the south from people in NY, too. 99% of the time, the comments were being made by people who had never been here. Just ask those people when they start talking like that if they've ever been here and you'll see. I have had nothing but positive experiences since I got here. It's pure ignorance.

As a native NY'er, I hate to say this but a lot of people in the NYC metro area think that is the only place in the world worth living in. They think that anything and everyone outside that area is "beneath" them and they are usually negative about anything that doesn't revolve around living there.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:34 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,907 times
Ive been reading the New York Times, ummmmm if the NC cops are stunning people, thats better than what the NY cops do--shoot unarmed men 50 times, or cops sodomizing a man with broomstick---Diallo.

NJ cops pull over blacks just for driving is what I heard

Old 02-02-2007, 08:38 AM

No that's not true. Diallo was a horrible case, what those cops did was absolutely disgusting and they should have been sentenced to life.

The guy who was shot 50 times was shot by black detectives, and thank god they were black b/c you would hear another bs racial profiling story that I am so sick of hearing.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:48 AM

842 posts, read 3,229,967 times
What bugs me about NC cops is that I NEVER see them following basic traffic laws.

They're always speeding. If they need to be speeding to get somewhere fast, that's what their sirens and lights are for.

They never use turn signals. I swear, I have NEVER seen an NC cop use a turn signal. I almost rear-ended one once because he/she stopped suddenly, with no warning, in the middle of NC-55 in Holly Springs to turn around in the median.

I've been cut off by cops several times. They just seem to drive recklessly.

What's up with that?

Old 02-02-2007, 08:54 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,907 times
CJ , it doesnt change anything if the detectives were black or white, they were cops and the original post was about NC cops doing things to NJ people(not NC black cops doing things to NJ black people).

the cops were wrong, period and the NC cops are no worse than jersey cops or NYC cops or boston or philly cops who beat people on a regular basis--i live in downtown Philly and it happens all the time here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina