Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 10:59 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,727,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
North Carolina and progressive in the same sentence.......Yeah right....
You really shouldn't be so hard on your home state! By the way, how are you enjoying our "winter" so far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 11:10 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,991,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Yeah the drivers in the RDU area are pretty bad/aggressive. I've lived in Massachusetts, Florida, California, New Jersey, Arkansas, South Carolina and North Carolina and the drivers here in NC are probably the worst/most aggressive. LOTS of tailgaters, even on one lane roads in the middle of a long line of cars. LOTS of left lane hogs.
Whaaat???? I agree with you about the left lane hogs (it's legal in this state) but in terms of aggressiveness, RDU drivers can't hold a candle to Massachusetts drivers. There's a reason they're called "M*******s". Try sitting at an intersection in MA for two seconds after the light turns green and you'll hear car horns behind you. Here, they won't even honk at you if you space out and miss the entire light cycle.

MA drivers are constantly turning left in front of you or pulling out of side streets in front of you and I've almost never seen that there.

You can take your life into your hands crossing the street with a Walk sign and a crosswalk because people don't want to wait to turn right (or left). Here, I cross a one-way street every morning on my way to work where drivers calmly wait for everyone to cross before they turn right (even if the peds are crossing against the light and the drivers could legally turn right on red). Even the UPS drivers wait!

The biggest problem I have in NC are the *non-aggressive* drivers, e.g., the left-lane hogs, the people calmly driving the speed limit when I want to go 5-10MPH over, and the people who are afraid to move at a 4-way stop or roundabout if there are any other cars anywhere in sight.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:21 PM

444 posts, read 582,288 times
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Whaaat???? I agree with you about the left lane hogs (it's legal in this state) but in terms of aggressiveness, RDU drivers can't hold a candle to Massachusetts drivers. There's a reason they're called "M*******s". Try sitting at an intersection in MA for two seconds after the light turns green and you'll hear car horns behind you. Here, they won't even honk at you if you space out and miss the entire light cycle.

MA drivers are constantly turning left in front of you or pulling out of side streets in front of you and I've almost never seen that there.

You can take your life into your hands crossing the street with a Walk sign and a crosswalk because people don't want to wait to turn right (or left). Here, I cross a one-way street every morning on my way to work where drivers calmly wait for everyone to cross before they turn right (even if the peds are crossing against the light and the drivers could legally turn right on red). Even the UPS drivers wait!

The biggest problem I have in NC are the *non-aggressive* drivers, e.g., the left-lane hogs, the people calmly driving the speed limit when I want to go 5-10MPH over, and the people who are afraid to move at a 4-way stop or roundabout if there are any other cars anywhere in sight.
I rather deal w/ MA drivers any day of the week than these left lane hogs!

Old 12-08-2014, 09:00 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
NC is a very red state where gays are really not welcome and where you will see more Confederate flags in a weekend than you will see in the NE in a lifetime and cognitive dissonance is rampart among conservatives.

There is sales tax on food and clothing, however the property taxes are lower, but not low unless you are out of the RTP in another county like Granville. Same for Mecklenburg county (center for rich rednecks in the Southeast).

Lots more obese people, smokers, uneducated people, in the areas outside the metro areas. Fashion has overlooked NC, especially anywhere outside the metro areas. There is no public transportation, too few roads and not a lot of shopping. At least everyone has access to Amazon.

The weather is nice in the Fall and Winter, however from late April to October it is hot, humid and buggy. Forget living in the mountains unless you are retired, since that's where a whole new group of retirees are going in addition to the Floridians who cannot stand the Summers.

I guess if you are moving from the NE or the Upper Midwest, NC looks a lot better than it does from someone who has lived many places including many in NC (RTP, ENC and WNC) and may be just what you are looking for.

From experience, I would choose the RTP over all of the other areas, but I would choose Oregon.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:07 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,991,336 times
Was Target having a special on stereotypes?

For the record, I've seen plenty of confederate flags in New England. The south doesn't have a monopoly on jerks with pickup trucks.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:00 AM

Default agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
North Carolina and progressive in the same sentence.......Yeah right....
lol...well, i visited richmond, va and they seem pretty horrible when it comes to a city moving forward...but politically charlotte still has the good ole boy network going for it.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:27 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Was Target having a special on stereotypes?

For the record, I've seen plenty of confederate flags in New England. The south doesn't have a monopoly on jerks with pickup trucks.
Why are confederate flags and pickup trucks a sign of jerks?

Old 12-08-2014, 05:06 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Why are confederate flags and pickup trucks a sign of jerks?
If you have to ask the question?..

Let's just leave it at that.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:15 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
If you have to ask the question?..

Let's just leave it at that.
It seems that drivers of trucks with large tires tend to be aggressive here on the West Coast, but they don't fly Confederate Flags though.

If you want to be scientific about this, you're going to have to isolate your variables.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:26 AM

Default flag

I am from NH and only the idiots (those in and out of jail, etc.) flew the confederate flag. So, being here I assume they are the same type of people. If you see the KKK carry the confederate flag and then you see some dude with a truck, huge tires, protected by Glock sticker, and a confederate flag, I make the safer assumption they are a troublemaking hick. In other words, a few jerk northerners see it as a way to display their intolerance, be stupid/tough. I would also like to point out that here in the south when you see some house in the woods surrounded by a chain link fence, no trespassing sign every 10 feet in bright yellow, dogs barking, and confederate flag, it is safe to assume in my yankee mind that they they are most likely armed, intolerant, probably have poor social skills, and are just waiting for someone walk onto their property. Very few educated and open minded people fly the confederate flag...very few...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina