Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2007, 10:48 AM

254 posts, read 983,328 times

Advertisements

My hubby wants to move to a warmer climate, although I am quite happy in Cincinnati. I thought NC may be viable, but I have been hearing horror stories about Charlotte..the influx of new people being so great that the city is not keeping up(schools, infrastructure). Good schools are especially important to me, since I am currently in an excellent district. I also dont want to be sitting in traffic all day..can anyone elaborate????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 05:09 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Asheville Native, while I am very sympathetic to some of your concerns - this constant negativity on every single thread you post on reduces your credibility immensely. You just come across as an angry, bitter person - is that what you really want?
People need to understand the reality, not the candy coated stuff you get from the chamber of commerce. Drug trafficking and the crime it generates IS a problem in Asheville, and the Asheville Police Department are not giving it the attention it requires.

Telling everyone from the police chief to those that are considering moving here that things are just peachy keen in Mayberry on steroids is simply a lie of omission.

I love the mountains also, I love what Asheville was, I grew up here, and unless and until the ugly side is brought into the light of day, it will thrive without challenge.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:10 AM

254 posts, read 983,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Cincylifer, if you are "quite happy" where you are, and the only reason to move is the weather, don't come here - please No offense, really, but those of us who love our state are really tired of people coming here just to take advantage of what we have here. It's just a little insulting...
Its not about taking advantage of what you have, its about making an informed decision..as I mentioned, my hubby wants to move, and I am in a happy 15 year marriage, so I owe it to my husband to at least consider his request! The weather is not the only reason.....

Old 04-12-2007, 06:40 AM

713 posts, read 3,929,917 times
There is no doubt that Charlotte is growing very quickly, but my youngest daughter lives on the shores of Lake Norman, and they love it. Charlotte is a big area, and as is the case in many areas, the neighborhood where you live determines your experience not what you read in the paper.

I was born in North Carolina, and one of the things that I love about North Carolina is the vast majority of natives welcome newcomers. It makes for a very open society.

Just because you're are in Cincinnati now doesn't mean you should be sentenced to a life of almost never ending cold winters. (We have neighbors who lived there and now have a daughter there) You can find relief in North Carolina, South Carolina, or Virginia.

If you want more of a small town existence you might want to try a place like Mount Airy, NC which is near enough to Winston-Salem to commute but has a view of the mountains. The Blue Ridge Parkway is just a few miles away. Or if you want to be surrounded by mountains look at Roanoke, Va.

North Carolina has its urban problems, but it is a great place to live. This post on Mount Airy will get you started in that area. The image at the top of the page is of the Roanoke, Va. area. There lots of local Roanoke information in the blog. The Roanoke metro area has a very low unemployment rate. We have a place in Roanoke and on the NC coast. We grew up in Mount Airy.

This post, "What makes me happy?" is about what I think is special about NC and Virginia.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:22 PM

240 posts, read 1,033,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincylifer View Post
My hubby wants to move to a warmer climate, although I am quite happy in Cincinnati. I thought NC may be viable, but I have been hearing horror stories about Charlotte..the influx of new people being so great that the city is not keeping up(schools, infrastructure). Good schools are especially important to me, since I am currently in an excellent district. I also dont want to be sitting in traffic all day..can anyone elaborate????
The Charlotte area is definitely growing at a rapid pace. My wife and I relocated here from PA a couple of years ago, and almost everybody we meet is a "transplant" as well. Compared to most large cities, the traffic around Charlotte isn't all that bad. There are a few rough spots for traffic, but nothing that I would consider a "nightmare." As far as schools go, Union County and Cabarrus County schools are generally regarded as very good. Charlotte Mecklenburg schools aren't generally as good, and a bunch suffer from overcrowding... but there are good schools in Mecklenburg too (Huntersville, Matthews, and Mint Hill areas come to mind). It's a really nice place to live, and we're glad we made the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina