Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 04:22 PM

105 posts, read 391,315 times

Advertisements

OK, I moved to Raleigh last year from Florida and haven't had much time to expierence the rest of the state...BUT from what I've noticed, there seems to be a lot more Northern accents and people than Southern people/accents, especially in the Cary area. I was rather surprised, but I guess it's common in the larger cities with abundant jobs. There really aren't any 'natives'/Southerners in our neighborhood even. I was born in the North (Michigan) and have a 'yankee' accent too, so I could care less, but it's just something that I was curious about.

So is this common in all of NC? What are the most 'Southern' in terms of people, accents, culture, etc and what are the most 'Northern?' I need to do some more exploration in NC....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 04:41 PM

872 posts, read 3,584,749 times
Pretty much anywhere but (Charlotte, Raleigh, Asheville, Wilmington, Big Cities) is where you'll primarily find locals of North Carolina.

Cary = Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:30 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,244 times
Wilmington and Charlotte both have lots of transplants. I've noticed that certain areas (within a city) attract transplants more than others, so in many cases it just depends what neighborhood you're in.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:18 PM

653 posts, read 2,705,086 times
If you want to see the "Southern" side of North Carolina and have time for a road-trip, take U.S. 64 from the Outer Banks to the Tennessee line. Plenty of country-side views, small towns, good eating, and a representation of the entire state while staying on one road.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:32 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,933 times
It's actually easier to list the cities that don't have a lot of Southern charm and accents left than those that do. Most NC towns are still pretty Southern. Thankfully.

You don't live all that far from Clinton and the Goldsboro/Kinston/La Grange area. Drive to those towns and you'll hear plenty of deep Southern accents. Well, deep southeastern NC accents. There are several different Southern accents just within NC.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:17 AM

105 posts, read 391,315 times
Hey, just an update, had to go to Fayetteville with the wife to get a piece of furniture we wanted yesterday and I found my Southerners. LOL It's a very nice place, sorta like the typical Southeastern medium-sized city. Everyone was very friendly!

Old 01-29-2010, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 7,892 times
Well, if you go to Raleigh there are a lot of northerners that come down and they are around the Durha/ Raleigh line....then if you go inside the beltline, you will hear more of the traditional sound---the "old raleigh" people

Old 01-29-2010, 08:49 PM

3,306 posts, read 8,559,230 times
There are parts of Raleigh and Wake County that are still very Southern. I work with all native southerners in southeast Raleigh. If you look more at eastern Wake county, Garner, Clayton, and even south east Raleigh you will find a more "southern" feel to these areas.

I live in Northwest Raleigh and that area has many more transplants then the other areas mentioned.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:32 PM

41 posts, read 92,596 times
what about the Fuquay Varina, Willow Springs, and Angier areas? Looking to relocate to that area and am hoping for lots of southern hospitality since I am a southener by birth

Old 02-16-2011, 02:11 PM

1,352 posts, read 3,914,785 times
Most rural areas are Southern along with most of Eastern NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina