Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 11:48 AM

9 posts, read 36,768 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Michigan, live in Mass. now, and have been considering moving to the Triangle area. Now, I know this question may seem strange, but I would like to know people's opinions of women (physically and personality-wise) in their 20's and early 30's in the Triangle area. I'm single, and 27 years old. I know how women are in the Midwest and Northeast, and would like to know how they are in NC. What can I expect? I hear southern women are very good looking. What do you think? I love those Southern accents too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2006, 11:58 AM

478 posts, read 2,303,389 times
Hate to burst your bubble, but the Triangle has long been a transplant magnet (at least, for the last 20 years). As a result, there are many people from around the country and world here, and so I personally find your question hard to answer because the answer is that the stereotypical Southern girl that you reference is in the minority nowadays.

So, I guess the answer is that the girls here are representative of the world at large, and vary wildly.

Sorry.

Old 06-28-2006, 11:59 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,063 times
I grew up in Detroit and now live in NYC. However I spent 12 years in NC.
Generally the women there are fairly traditional. Like anywhere, they have their share of Lookers - But don't expect them to dress like the girls in the Northeast. They will generally have lower hemlines and show less cleavage.
Remember it is the Bible Belt. I think you will find the girls there sweet and probably more romantic than the Midwest too. Of course, that varys from person to person. One thing to be aware of is that Southerners in general are a bit higher strung than Midwesterners. We're a pretty low key bunch. They get pretty easily exercised about things.

PS-Don't tell them how you did things up north. You will always be a Yankee to them on some level, and that will just make it worse.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:44 PM

10 posts, read 34,340 times
You have got to be kidding. I hope you have found that midwestern girls have found you to be annoying, condescending, juvenile and pathetic. I hope that any self respecting north carolina girls will find you to be similar.

Old 06-28-2006, 08:04 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,095 times
seems to have struck a nerve?

Old 06-28-2006, 08:44 PM

138 posts, read 786,797 times
I suggest not asking NC women what NC women are like. Some of them might take offense.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:06 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,775 times
I read this article in the Island Gazette online (Carolina Beach) several years ago. I liked it so much, I saved it to my computer.

Ohldepharte For June 27th, 2001
Posted Monday, July 2, 2001

By Terry Moore

When I used to live back in Yankeeland, if a gal I didn’t know smiled at me, I figured either she was a hooker or my fly was unzipped.

Later on, when I traveled to Wilmington and Charleston quite a bit, I noticed lots and lots of women smiling at me.

They couldn’t all be hookers, I thought, so there must be some other reason. Maybe they’re just being pleasant and cheerful.

Unaccustomed to that kind of behavior from Northern gals, I found I rather liked it.

When I flew down here from Cleveland or Pittsburgh, I’d notice the difference as soon as I got into the airline terminal – women were pleasant and gracious – they’d actually even talk to me. It was weird. Maybe they were on drugs.

I probably should have known about this Southern charm thing with the women down here – I went to college in the South. I tried dating Southern girls, and they were delightful, but they were always two steps ahead of me, so I never got to first base.

I gave up on them and went back to dating Northern girls. They were sort of mean and hostile, but they were predictable and I understood them. They didn’t smile much, though.

Come to think of it, I wonder if Southern gals smile at other women the same way they smile at men, and if they do, does it mean the same thing? I suspect I’ll never find out – but I digress.

Why, then, do all the Southern Belles lay that Mona Lisa look an all us poor, helpless fellers? Probably it’s a cultural thing – a heritage from the good old days before the crazy, radical ideas of education, thinking and voting *****ed up women’s lives and cursed them with liberation.

Yes, those beautiful smiles probably stem from the good old plantation days when there wasn’t much else for a young lady to do but be charming and make pretty for the menfolk.

They attained fulfillment by making their men happy and feeling good about themselves.

Chances are, when their mammas gave them that coming-of-age talk, it went something like, "Look, Honeychile – you ain’t too smart and you ain’t all that pretty, so you’re gonna have to smile a whole bunch if you expect to land a man, ‘cause the competition is fierce out there."

Taking their mammas’ words to heart, Southern ladies learned that it doesn’t really matter all that much what they say, as long as they dazzle and bewitch guys with their beautiful smiles.

Unfortunately, this resulted in a traditional male characteristic – failure to listen to what females say – which may account for why all that make-nice training gets flushed down the commode after the gals are married – at least, as far as their husbands are concerned.

I have to admit, though, that I’ve learned to cherish and appreciate this marvelous attitude of the Southern female toward men.

And it’s not just superficial. Gals down here just seem to want to be nice to the bumbling male animal and help us out whenever they can.

For example, if I’m in the supermarket, and I’m standing there in the aisle looking confused or puzzled about something like what kind of laundry detergent to buy, chances are good that some wonderful Southern lady will stop and ask me if I need help, or maybe she’ll make a suggestion.

In the same situation up North, some gal would probably yell, "Get the hell out of the way, Mac, or I’ll run you down with my cart."

That’s if you’re lucky – some women just send their kids out to bite you in the leg.

------------------------------

I hope it was okay to share that, moderators.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:36 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
I can honestly say that the only difference I have ever noticed between northern and southern women is the accent. If you find the accent attractive, then I guess they would be more attractive. If someone believes that there is any other major difference, favoring either northern or southern woman for any other reasons (such as the guy in that article) it's pretty much all in their head, because they want it that way for one reason or another. Women are women everywhere (not going to comment on if that's a good or a bad thing. lol)

Old 06-28-2006, 10:48 PM

799 posts, read 3,226,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki
I read this article in the Island Gazette online (Carolina Beach) several years ago. I liked it so much, I saved it to my computer.
Hey Niki! I liked that article, it was cute. But you know, the southern charm thing really is no myth. My MIL is from Georgia and she was taught from earliest on to sit up straight, to be helpful and courteous and to never, *ever* be rude. If someone crossed you though, family got involved and you stuck with your family, too.

When I lived in Florida and Missisippi and Georgia myself, I can tell you all with the utmost certainty that there is BIG difference between northern women and southern women. Northern women dress more sleekly, and dress up to go to the store, but in the south you can start a conversation with just about anybody, anywhere, about anything. Especially while waiting in line.

I miss when I am crossing the hall, the street or walking down a aisle and I make eye contact with someone, that line that comes "how ya doin'? or "howzit goin'?" Here in DC, sometimes you just don't get a reactino at all. That IS rude and it drives me crazy.

Everything is a trade-off though. Nowhere is better or worse. It's just...different. The question is, does that "different' fit in with your "different"? LOL

Old 06-29-2006, 12:28 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,775 times
I'mInformed (and anyone else),
The article I pasted in isn't meant to be serious. I hope you understood that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina