Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:39 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I am with the person that said the first snake looks like it has a triangular head. That is what I look for. But the picture of the rat snake seems to have a triangular head too. If the head is rounded and seems to be just an extension of the body, the snake is nearly always harmless. One exception would be the black racer. They can be harmful to small children. They choke their prey. My brother was in the cornfield hoeing corn once when a black racer tried to crawl up his leg. It took my mother, my other brother and him to pull the snake off him. They finally got the hoe in between the snake and his leg and pulled it off.

A black snake is fat and will run away from you. A racer is very long and thin and runs towards you.

If you want to stop the snakes from sunning on your rock driveway just sprinkle it with lime. Make it a thick layer. If it is cement, put trips of two sided tape on it. As they crawl across the tape, it will stick to them and trap them so you can kill them without their being able to strike.
Why would you want to kill a snake? They are God's creatures too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 05:39 AM

836 posts, read 3,382,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddinker View Post
ok , now I am totally freaked out. we were think of taking a job in nc, but is the state crawling with snakes??
Every State has snakes,... we have seen more in our neighborhood due to a guy behind us clearing land off the mountain. His clearing trees rocks etc has alerted the snakes to find new homes.. we have seen more deer coyotes and other creatures these past 2 years since he started this but no NC isn't full of snakes..lol You can still move here.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:33 AM

836 posts, read 3,382,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
Why would you want to kill a snake? They are God's creatures too.
Blah blah.. Don't be coming at us and bringing religion into this! This is NOT the religious thread so take it somewhere else!

Old 08-24-2009, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,377 times
I can hardly believe the hatred toward snakes being expressed by many people in this thread.

The first snake is a Black Ratsnake and is harmelss at any size to any person. There is absolutely no reason to kill them, even if they are big and in your house. Yes, if you pick it up, it might try to bite, but their teeth are like the size of tiny little pinheads and will scratch you at worse. 9 times out of 10 ratsnakes won't bite even if you pick them up. Compare that to a squirrels. I've seen a squirrel, unprovoked, send someone to the emergency room. For the record, a Ratsnake only goes into people's homes if there is food in there (mice and rats mostly) for them. If you want to prevent ratsnakes from entering your home, seal any holes and get rid of the rodents. I understand your concern for your child, especially given the recent media attention on snakes after that girl was killed by a captive python, but please understand how completely different the situations are. The python that killed the girl was over 12-feet long, as big around as a human leg, used to the smell of humans, and seriously underfed.

The second snake is a Brownsnake though I don't know what subspecies. Also completely harmless and also a very small species.

Even venomous species do not need to be killed. Did you know that in the northeast, the only people to have been bitten by Timber Rattlesnakes in the past few decades were ALL trying to either kill them or pick them up? It's a perfect example of the saying 'if you leave it alone, it will leave you alone'.

Quote:
I am with the person that said the first snake looks like it has a triangular head. That is what I look for. But the picture of the rat snake seems to have a triangular head too. If the head is rounded and seems to be just an extension of the body, the snake is nearly always harmless. One exception would be the black racer. They can be harmful to small children. They choke their prey. My brother was in the cornfield hoeing corn once when a black racer tried to crawl up his leg. It took my mother, my other brother and him to pull the snake off him. They finally got the hoe in between the snake and his leg and pulled it off.

A black snake is fat and will run away from you. A racer is very long and thin and runs towards you.

If you want to stop the snakes from sunning on your rock driveway just sprinkle it with lime. Make it a thick layer. If it is cement, put trips of two sided tape on it. As they crawl across the tape, it will stick to them and trap them so you can kill them without their being able to strike.
I'm sorry, but as scary as your brother's experience may have been, he was still in no real danger. As scary as large racers may be, they too are not a threat to children and do not choke their prey. It may be hard to believe but racers have a hard time eating mammals, even rodents. Racers cannot constrict their prey to kill it and thus need to swallow it alive. This limits them greatly in what they can eat because a rat, once grabbed, would be able to inflict serious injury upon a racer with its teeth. For this reason, Racer feed mostly on other reptiles and amphibians. They are very deffensive though and if they feel threatened AND cornered, may try to scare you away or even charge in rare cases. I can't imagine what the snake was doing trying to get up your brother's shorts.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:19 PM

16 posts, read 49,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Every State has snakes,... we have seen more in our neighborhood due to a guy behind us clearing land off the mountain. His clearing trees rocks etc has alerted the snakes to find new homes.. we have seen more deer coyotes and other creatures these past 2 years since he started this but no NC isn't full of snakes..lol You can still move here.
good to know, my jack russell would try to take anything on , not to mention my 7 yr old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina