Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 05:31 AM

8 posts, read 27,270 times

Advertisements

I'm 17, 18 next Friday(Sept 4). I planned on taking my drivers test Friday(Sept 4) and getting my license whenever it comes in. Yesterday(Aug 28) my house was broken into while I was home alone. After filing a police report and my family returning, I beat my self up for it and just wanted to get out. I took my sister's car to my friend house, around 3A.M. I felt guilty and had to check in with my family to assure their safety. On the way home my panic rose and I accidentally ran a stop sign. After talking to a police officer, he gave me a citation for no license and failure to stop at a stop sign.
My court date is in Oct.

My question: Will this citation delay my eligibility for a license?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 06:41 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,986,140 times
I'm sure it would effect your status. If you are 17 why don't you have a provisional license? Of course if you were driving at 3AM then you would have gotten a ticket for that.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
I'm sure it would effect your status. If you are 17 why don't you have a provisional license? Of course if you were driving at 3AM then you would have gotten a ticket for that.
I just moved here, military dad, we paid for the move and couldn't afford paying for my car ****. I didn't get a ticket, just a citation, no fee no nothing, only a court date. I don't even know what I'm going to court for..what're they going to do?

Old 08-29-2009, 09:19 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
I guess legally you have not been convicted of anything yet, only charged. That may change when you go to court, or they may dismiss or reduce the charge to something that won't effect your eligibility.

When you go for your license, I doubt anything will show up when they enter your information.

As for not knowing what you are going to court for, I would try and talk to the solicitor of the court to get a better idea of what is in store when you do go to court. Forewarned is forearmed.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:38 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHighAlumni View Post
.... I don't even know what I'm going to court for..what're they going to do?
From your description above, it sounds as if your are going to court to defend yourself against the charges of driving without a license and running a stop sign.

On your question about it affecting your ability to get a license, I would say this is the least of your worries at the moment. Driving without a license is a Class 2 misdemeanor in North Carolina and technically the judge can toss you in jail if you get a conviction for it. If this is the first time you have been in trouble, it's unlikey the judge will take this approach and you will instead get a fine. He may also suspend your license if you do get it on the 4th. It will also affect the cost of liability insurance that you will need in order to have a driving license, if convicted.

This serious stuff so I would recommend that you seek out a lawyer for advice.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:56 AM

You should be getting a lot of mail from Lawyers this week. I would seriously advise you and your parents to contact one of them and discuss the issue. It can be very serious to your future.

Licensed under 18's cannot drive past 9pm with certain exceptions.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:26 AM

everyone on this other forums says i'll be fine, they're more than likely going to drop the charges, i definitely dont need a lawyer for something like this

Old 08-29-2009, 11:14 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHighAlumni View Post
everyone on this other forums says i'll be fine, they're more than likely going to drop the charges, i definitely dont need a lawyer for something like this
You don't believe you will be prosecuted for breaking the law because someone on a forum told you so? When the judge is delivering his judgement against you, you can interrupt him and let him know what the people on the other forum said he was supposed to do. Opps, welcome to the adult world. The court isn't high school.

Under-aged driving, without a license, in the middle of the night no less, and running a stop sign on top of that isn't something that you can plan on walking out of there without penalties. People get killed by these type of things and it's my guess they won't just say never mind. It's up to you but I sure wouldn't walk in there unprepared.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:54 AM

Please keep us advised on what happens. I'd like to know. BTW have you told your parents? There will be a bunch of letters from lawyers in the mail so it will be hard to keep it a secret.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:08 PM

983 posts, read 3,988,601 times
BTW...a citation IS a ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina