Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2006, 04:53 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,757 times

Advertisements

It seems tht y'all (practicing my southern accent here) have a great time in the summer, community pools, concerts at Birkdale, etc...

What do you in the winter?

Do kids still play together?
What do the communities do together?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2006, 05:21 PM

787 posts, read 3,584,050 times
Well, we don't ice skate or play hockey unless it is a team that we don't have anywhere near here in the east. Or at least no one I know does it. For the most part, winter is pretty tame by northern standards. I have seen it 80 degrees on Christmas Day. But every once in a while we get a big snow storm or ice in a lot of regions and the kids take advantage of the snow. We have one good size hill they rope off for the kids to sled on. Which is really unnecessary. The first day or so after a snow storm in the east pretty much brings things to a screaming halt. The worse storm I recall was the first week in April of 1980. They had predicted 2 inches and we got over 2 feet of the stuff. And the eastern part of the state is just not equipped to deal with it. Unless it is freezing outside, the kids pretty much do what they do the rest of the year. As for communities, well, we don't have a lot going on here. We have an Ag-festival in October, a Dogwood festival in April, the Christmas tree lighting in December. But that is about all I can recall. Remember I live in a rural poverty county so there isn't a lot of choices. I am sure the other places will probably serve you better.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:24 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,272,317 times
Well, when we get the rare snowfall (above a ½ inch lol), the kids love to play in it. Mostly we get ice here in the Piedmont though. About 1-3 a winter.

There are usually Christmas concerts, the Nutcracker, and Disney on Ice in December. And, of course, Christmas light displays. The one at Tanglewood in Clemmons is nice, but the line to get in can be very long. Oh, and the Christmas parade.

Um, monster truck show at the Greensboro Coliseum every January. I don't go (totally not my thing), but my husband and son like it. My son mostly (he's 9), so my husband takes him. My son loves Grave Digger.

The circus comes in early February usually. I know this because it's always here around the time of my birthday.

I'm sure there's plenty I'm forgetting. Check out the state tourism website for a calendar. (visitnc.com) And the Greensboro Area Convention and Visitors Bureau should have a calendar as well, I would think. (greensboronc.org)

Old 07-17-2006, 06:46 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,409,320 times
I'm sure you'll find a good bunch of stuff during the Holidays: concerts, light displays, craft shows, and tons more. And most larger cities will have big New Years' events. (Raleigh drops the big acorn!)

After that it's pretty quiet till March, really. Rarely have snow, but you can count on a possible ice storm. (Attn: Northerners...just because you may be "experts" at driving in snow does NOT mean you know how to drive in a southern ice storm so get that thru your head right now.)

Old 07-17-2006, 07:08 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,757 times
The people up here do not know how to drive in the snow either (LOL) - they think SUV's can do anything -

Old 07-17-2006, 10:46 AM

741 posts, read 3,511,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob
I'm sure you'll find a good bunch of stuff during the Holidays: concerts, light displays, craft shows, and tons more. And most larger cities will have big New Years' events. (Raleigh drops the big acorn!)

After that it's pretty quiet till March, really. Rarely have snow, but you can count on a possible ice storm. (Attn: Northerners...just because you may be "experts" at driving in snow does NOT mean you know how to drive in a southern ice storm so get that thru your head right now.)
LOL and by the way Your screen name has a nice ring to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina