Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 02:01 PM

3 posts, read 8,334 times

Advertisements

I will be moving soon to NC-Kenly.
Need help, any advice or wisdom is immensly appreciated.
I have done research, but don't really know anyone with children. (Mine is a girl & 13 yrs.)
How are princeton hs? How is Kenly? I know Wilson is about 20min out,
how is Manpower temp service, are there any other good temp services
for jobs?
What about car insur, any good companies?

Thanks alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2006, 06:30 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,173 times
Well, this might be your lucky day. My husband is from Kenly, NC and we lived in Johnston County for 7 years after we were married. The temp jobs would be available in Raleigh which is about an hour commute from Kenly. I use to hit Hwy 222 and then take a left onto Hwy 231 and go through Wendell and then finally hit Hwy 264 and came into Raleigh through Knightdale. But it is a nightmare once you hit 264 to Knightdale during the morning rush hour. I feel like I should warn you that at least when I was living there the drug scene is high and the conviction rate for DWI (driving while impaired) is one of the highest in the state or so I was told. Kenly is booming a little now with the easy access to Hwy 95. There are a lot of motels that have popped up. Be sure and check out the pottery outlet stores near Smithfield. That is one of the best things about the place. And also there is JR outlet near Selma off of 95 that has some amazing things in there as well. Basically it is a cigarette outlet but they have a lot of other things as well. I don't know a lot about Princeton as it is on the eastern end of the county and Kenly is on the northern end. Wilson is straight down 301 to the north of Kenly. About the time you get out of the Kenly city limits going north on 301, you are in Wilson County. The first little town you will come to which is about halfway between Kenly and Wilson is Lucama (LOU-comma). Very small little town. As for car insurance, stay out of the one that I believe the name is the Insurance Shop or something like that. I would go to Wilson to Nationwide or some other well known company. State Farm is excellent. My daughter had a wreck back in 1995 and the other driver was insured by State Farm. The accident was his fault and they paid us the value of the car, which was totaled, left the car with us and also paid every bit of her doctor bills and prescription. We had the check in 2 days. Kenly is largely rural. Most of the people there have been there generations just as my husband's family had been. My MIL lived on Bunn Rd off of Hwy 222 before her 2004 death. They are about to do some development there of houses as this area was hit by a tornado during Tropical Storm Kyle in 2002. We own Chris' mother's farm with his two brothers and when the development starts, we are hoping to sell the farm for this as well.
As for the children, I would be very careful about their friends and try to find out as much as you can about their home life before allowing extented visits. And that might sound snobby but I am telling you the DWI rate along with the almost casual use of marijuana and God only knows what by now would scare the living hell out of me after we lived there from 1985-1992. The schools in the area that you are going to be in are fairly new. So that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Most of the nicer homes are going back out of town towards Fremont on 222. There are some more that are on 222 in the opposite direction as well. And I think that Bunn Rd has some construction going on as well. Ask me after the weekend. My husband is going down there to his mother's house to clean out some things so they can rent the house out at least until the development starts and we can sell the property. Hope this helps you. And you can PM me if you need to. Welcome to North Carolina.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:58 AM

3 posts, read 8,334 times
Thank you so much. I will email after the weekend. Hope all goes well
with the cleaning.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:20 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,631 times
maggie,

Kenly will be a major shock for you.

Don't want to scare you, but Kenly is not a very nice town. You would have liked Clayton or Wilson a lot better. Kenly will be a huge culture shock.

Will you be in the city itself? or closer to Micro, or further north to Lucama?

I'm sorry. I honestly have nothing positive to say about Kenly.

There are many differeny ways you can get to Raleigh. It depends exactly where you will be living though.

I am from the area, so if you need any help, just ask

Oh yeah, I use Nationwide insurance. They have been great

You will not completly leave the snow behind. Expect to see one 6-10 inch snowfall every other year or so. Sometimes way less. This decade, the Kenly and eastern NC area has seen some pretty significant snowfalls.

Good luck

Old 09-24-2006, 08:54 AM

Let me warn you here as the above poster has, when it snows here, even if it just barely covers the ground, it can put life at a complete standstill. Johnston County had a horrible ice storm in 1989 and it lasted for probably a week. I was working in Raleigh at the time and got stranded there for 3 days and had to stay at work. By the time I did get home I was exhausted because I was having to cover shifts on the physician's answer's service because the girl that normally worked the night shift couldn't get there. No one else had the medical training that she had to do that side and because I was a former nurse, I got the honor of doing it. The biggest snow storm I have seen and I was in Greene County at the time was in April, 1980. They predicted 2 inches and we got at least 2 feet or more. And talk about bringing everything to a screeching halt it did. I can remember my former husband riding a cabbed tractor to the little store that the owner lived beside of to just get milk for the two babies we had.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder View Post
Let me warn you here as the above poster has, when it snows here, even if it just barely covers the ground, it can put life at a complete standstill. Johnston County had a horrible ice storm in 1989 and it lasted for probably a week. I was working in Raleigh at the time and got stranded there for 3 days and had to stay at work. By the time I did get home I was exhausted because I was having to cover shifts on the physician's answer's service because the girl that normally worked the night shift couldn't get there. No one else had the medical training that she had to do that side and because I was a former nurse, I got the honor of doing it. The biggest snow storm I have seen and I was in Greene County at the time was in April, 1980. They predicted 2 inches and we got at least 2 feet or more. And talk about bringing everything to a screeching halt it did. I can remember my former husband riding a cabbed tractor to the little store that the owner lived beside of to just get milk for the two babies we had.
Oh yeah,

the blizzard of 1980! I will never forget that one. I lived in Wilson at the time. We had at least 20 inches. It was something! One thing is for sure, it does not happend often, but we can get some big snowstorms. This decade we have seen several approaching 12 inches. I think 2000, 2001, 2003 and the one during christmas 2005. All the storms dumped between 8-12 inches across the areas from I-95 north and east. The 2000 storm was more from Wilson west though. But that was also 20 plus inches of snow. Hope this year brings some good ones.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:52 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,923 times
The bilzzard of 2000 had 27 inches, the all-time record I believe. Raleigh has a higher all-time record overnight snowfall than Manhattan (which had it's largest ever this january with 26 inches). School was closed for 2 weeks in Wake County and even longer in the rural counties. While you may be getting less of it, you definitely aren't leaving snow behind with a move to NC; unless you are going to the Outer Banks or something.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
The bilzzard of 2000 had 27 inches, the all-time record I believe. Raleigh has a higher all-time record overnight snowfall than Manhattan (which had it's largest ever this january with 26 inches). School was closed for 2 weeks in Wake County and even longer in the rural counties. While you may be getting less of it, you definitely aren't leaving snow behind with a move to NC; unless you are going to the Outer Banks or something.
Not leaving it behind at the Outer Banks either. They got 36 inches from a Blizzard back in the 60's. And don't forget the pre-christmas blizzard of 89, when they got over 20 inches at the Outer Banks. They also had a foot plus a few years ago. That was the year the sound froze over (kind of), and the ocean foam was slushy. The banks get their share as well. It is more rare there though. 1980 had a Blizzard also

Old 09-24-2006, 02:28 PM

I don't know if either of you remember the ice storm of 1968 but I was a junior in high school then. We were without power for a week I know and I believe schools were closed for probably two weeks or close to it. Like they said usually when we get snow it is more than we can handle because it doesn't come that often. But unlike Florida perhaps it is not impossible for it to snow in North Carolina and the further west you go particularly in the mountains, the more likely you are to get snow. During that Christmas blizzard you are referring to of 1989, I was in Johnston County and we got ice and lots and lots of it. I don't recall a lot of snow though.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder View Post
I don't know if either of you remember the ice storm of 1968 but I was a junior in high school then. We were without power for a week I know and I believe schools were closed for probably two weeks or close to it. Like they said usually when we get snow it is more than we can handle because it doesn't come that often. But unlike Florida perhaps it is not impossible for it to snow in North Carolina and the further west you go particularly in the mountains, the more likely you are to get snow. During that Christmas blizzard you are referring to of 1989, I was in Johnston County and we got ice and lots and lots of it. I don't recall a lot of snow though.
Ahh, you were in Johnston Co. in 1989. The ice storm you are referring to is not the storm I am talking about. The ice storm in 89 struck in early December that year. The big snowstorm I am talking about started on December 22, and lasted through christmas eve. Johnston Co. got nothing but flurries from that storm. The big snows were from New Bern and Washington eastward. Christmas morning at my house in New Bern, the temp was -4!

I was at my grandmothers house in Wilson during the ice storm you were talking about. It was something. I would say at least 8 inches of sleet fell. That is insane for sleet. I remember huge ice cycles like three feet long hanging from the house. It was crazy. The coast had rain during that storm. I was in New Bern for the snowstorm of 89 though.

I remember the storms from the late 70's till today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina