Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:56 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,986,140 times

Advertisements

I'm glad we have not had that kind of growth. I've seen what has happened to Wake county and do not want that to happen here. I was referring to quality of life not more people moving in. Although that will happen in the next 5 years. I hope Cumberland County never gets as crowded as Wake or Mecklinburg.

The other thing to consider is the military population is not static. Thousands of military familes move in and out each year. That could never be captured in census data. Plus, I wonder if ON-post numbers are counted in the county stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Looks like most of what is being built is apartments though.
In Fayetteville there are scores of subdivisions being built. Many neighborhoods that slowed down last year have opened new sections this year.

Our builders are building and affordable houses are selling. Can't say that about other towns.

Thank goodness we never had a bubble.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:42 PM

351 posts, read 1,069,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
In Fayetteville there are scores of subdivisions being built. Many neighborhoods that slowed down last year have opened new sections this year.

Our builders are building and affordable houses are selling. Can't say that about other towns.

Thank goodness we never had a bubble.
Glad your proud of selling 300 homes at one the cheapest rates in the country
while the Triangle sales 1,500+ at twice the price in a slow market. The only reason your selling any homes in the Fayettteville area is because the area is so deprived the government is making some military people move there. They move there grudingly, hate it and haul ass aflter 4 years. A lot of those folks
will wisely choose the 30 minute drive from Moore and Harnett Counties to avoid living in the cease pool you call Fayetteville. And for good reason, you know as well as I do the crime rate is through the roof, most the schools suck and there's nothing ever positive to do there. BTW, if you want to gloat about an area that is so deprived the government is having to make people move there, go ahead. Please realize that the 30,000 to 40,000(if your lucky) people spread over a 5 county area in 3 to 4 years, is rather weak in a state were 100,000's of people are moving to a couple of areas by choice. That's because the Triangle and Charlotte areas both truely offer an excellent quality of life.

FYI: A nuetral book dedicated to ranking US metros for "quality of life" wasn't kind to Fayetteville at all but I'm sure your not surprised. Rating the 343 biggest US metros from 1 to 343( 1 being the best, 343 the worst) they go by Cost of living, Transportation, Jobs, Education, Climate, Arts, Healthcare, and Recreation. The Triangle proudly ranked 4th, the Fayetteville area not so proudly ranked 338. So you beat out a few F rated cowtowns in Texas

http://www.wral.com/asset/business/2...1/homedata.pdf

Study: Fayetteville is third-cheapest home market :: WRAL.com

Last edited by carolinadreamin'; 09-23-2009 at 01:03 PM..

Old 09-23-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I'm glad we have not had that kind of growth. I've seen what has happened to Wake county and do not want that to happen here. I was referring to quality of life not more people moving in. Although that will happen in the next 5 years. I hope Cumberland County never gets as crowded as Wake or Mecklinburg.

The other thing to consider is the military population is not static. Thousands of military familes move in and out each year. That could never be captured in census data. Plus, I wonder if ON-post numbers are counted in the county stats.
Living in a county(Cumberland) who's quality of life is so bad, more people continue choosing to move out than move in. It's happened there for the last 10 years and for good reason. Almost anyone in the Fayetteville area that is lucky enough to obtain a college degree, choose somewhere like Raleigh, Charlotte or Atlanta to life. Until Fayetteville can offer decent jobs and a truely decent quality of life to raise a family it will never change. It's no where close to that now and never will be. Save your BS'ing about your area for the poor souls being forced to move to such an undesireable place.

Raleigh and Charlotte both offer great schools, pro and college sports, fantastic shopping and dining, decent jobs, concerts galore with all kinds of different music, nightclubs, broadway shows, nice parks and greenways, museums, plenty of trees, tons of excellent, safe neighborhoods, and great Universites and colleges. Also downtowns that are safe and actually attract people at night. That's what real growth with an excellent quality of life will do for you, something Fayetteville will never come close to realizing. No big deal.just deal with it. Fayetteville has always been know as a bad place to visit or live and always will be know that way.

http://www.visitraleigh.com/media/about_raleigh/accolades (broken link)

Last edited by carolinadreamin'; 09-23-2009 at 01:14 PM..

Old 09-23-2009, 01:20 PM

Gee, you are so positive. You seem offended that somehow Fayetteville might be making progress or that folks might like it here. Why the angst?

I chose to move here when I retired. I could have moved anyplace. I don't have any family ties here.

Fayetteville is not Raleigh or Charlotte. I don't think it aspires to be.

You must not like small towns.

I hate the big city personally and could never live in one. Nothing in the world wrong with living in a small town.

We do have one of the highest housing appreciation rates in the country in the last year.

If you would open your mind a bit you would see the county has all those thing you mentioned albeit on a smaller scale.

Using your own link in March of 09 Charlotte lost 13% value and the Triangle lost 3%. Fayetteville had a 1% gain in value.

Our housing prices are cheap because we never had a bubble here. The prices are realistic to the amount of house you can get.

I'm building a 3200 Sq ft. house for less than 250K. You can't get that in most parts of the country.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Gee, you are so positive. You seem offended that somehow Fayetteville might be making progress or that folks might like it here. Why the angst?

I chose to move here when I retired. I could have moved anyplace. I don't have any family ties here.

Fayetteville is not Raleigh or Charlotte. I don't think it aspires to be.

You must not like small towns.

I hate the big city personally and could never live in one. Nothing in the world wrong with living in a small town.

We do have one of the highest housing appreciation rates in the country in the last year.

If you would open your mind a bit you would see the county has all those thing you mentioned albeit on a smaller scale.

Using your own link in March of 09 Charlotte lost 13% value and the Triangle lost 3%. Fayetteville had a 1% gain in value.

Our housing prices are cheap because we never had a bubble here. The prices are realistic to the amount of house you can get.

I'm building a 3200 Sq ft. house for less than 250K. You can't get that in most parts of the country.
I'm not offended at all. Good for you that you like Fayetteville, although I couldn't understand why, somebody needs too. I just don't care for Fayetteville at all, just like many people(read the boards) don't. Good luck to you and your town in the future though and no hard feelings

PS: I like small towns altough I wouldn't choose to live in one. With a current population of 175,000.... Fayetteville is a small city though, not town. Don't forget Fayetteville recently annexed half of Cumberland County to increase their tax base since it dosen't grow.Whoops, but as usually you lost 1,000 of those people in the last 4 years(Down to 174,000).

I have an open mind and like most places, just don't care at all for Fayetteville. How is that hard to believe, most people I know still refer to it as the ,,,,,hole of the south, armpit of the state, what have you.

Last edited by Yac; 11-18-2020 at 03:35 AM..

Old 09-23-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION determine the worth of real estate more than everything else put together. The only reason there so cheap has nothing to do with a bubble but because they are in Fayetteville. Even homes in Goldsboro, Greenville and Rocky Mount bring more. Asheville, Wilmington,
Charlotte and Raleigh are double in value and for only one reason...LOCATION.
Most people would obviously rather pay double than to live in Fayetteville.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:07 PM

72 posts, read 196,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin' View Post
LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION determine the worth of real estate more than everything else put together. The only reason there so cheap has nothing to do with a bubble but because they are in Fayetteville. Even homes in Goldsboro, Greenville and Rocky Mount bring more. Asheville, Wilmington,
Charlotte and Raleigh are double in value and for only one reason...LOCATION.
Most people would obviously rather pay double than to live in Fayetteville.
Did a soldier hurt your feelings or leave you for another guy? Give it a rest already.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth View Post
Did a soldier hurt your feelings or leave you for another guy? Give it a rest already.
That was an uncalled for, below the belt personal attack. How old are you 12?
This is America and I'm welcome to express my feelings about anywhere I want, anytime I want. Deal with it

PS:FYI I have a fantastic wife, thank you very much.

Last edited by carolinadreamin'; 09-24-2009 at 04:18 AM..

Old 10-08-2009, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,238 times
Why carolinadreamin', must you crush on people's dreams and quality of life? you have stated you would never move there, so this really has no concern of yours - except to try to show off the knowledge you think you have, or to just break the spirit. You never have to worry about moving there, so just let it go and stop being an a**!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina