Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 11:22 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,855,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S.
They are up to date, I took those pictures on sunday evening.
Curious, send link or PM it to me...Pleeeeease
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2006, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
Well goodbye Lake Norman it's off to Gastonia. How far is that from Lake Norman?
Really, what did I miss Crime rate there is a 7!

Old 07-17-2006, 11:25 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley
Really, what did I miss Crime rate there is a 7!

Just kidding I can't part with Norman or Birkdale as this point.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Just kidding I can't part with Norman or Birkdale as this point.
You're killing me!!!

Old 07-17-2006, 11:32 PM

Quote:
You're killing me!!!

Like the old Rolling Stones song.........Wild horses couldn't drag me away.

But a big fat killer tornado could.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Like the old Rolling Stones song.........Wild horses couldn't drag me away.

But a big fat killer tornado could.
I will build my house down wind from you, since you will be there first.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:35 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,745,012 times
The media have been talking about a RE bubble bursting for several years. About two years ago a friend decided to sell and buy a bigger house. When he sold his neighbor was convinced that the bubble was about to burst so he sold his house and decided to rent and wait. The house sold for just around $400k and my friend bought a bigger house for $550k. Now my friend’s house is worth about $950k and his old house is around $650k. His brilliant neighbor who is still waiting for the bubble to burst has lost about $250k in appreciation and he is still renting.

The last real estate “bubble” where houses lost value was in the early to mid 90’s. In Orange County, CA it was about a 21% loss. This was due to a recession and the loss of several hundred thousand high paying aerospace jobs. It’s not likely that another recession like that is going to happen anytime soon. If it did and houses lost 21% then if you had purchased two years ago you would still be ahead. Of course if you bought now and prices dropped then you would be upside down until the house appreciated again.

If you are banking on adjustable loans being the killer of the RE market I wouldn’t bank on it. There have always been adjustable loans, but I can’t remember them ever being the reason for a housing crash. The fed raised rates all through out the late 90’s, but that didn’t kill the RE market in fact it enjoyed record appreciation. Even through out the 2000 recession RE appreciated.

I do think we are in for an adjustment, but I doubt it will be anything more than no appreciation for this year and modest 2-3% a year for a couple of years.

If you are waiting for homeowners to give their houses away because of a slow market you are in for a long wait.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I will build my house down wind from you, since you will be there first.

Yeah I bet. Don't pick one of those houses on the hills. I don't know how people buy those lots. Mine is completely level. I want to be able to use the lot and not sit on a cliff.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:38 PM

336 posts, read 513,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener
What I don't understand is people who keep "waiting to buy" biting their nails in expectation for the bubble to burst. Sure, there have been market adjustments in a few markets, but I've been hearing about a bubble burst for 10 years. So if you're (very) patient, go ahead and wait. But it might be a while...
My parents say that people told them to wait for the "bubble to burst" when they built a home for $65,000 in 1986 in the Minneapolis suburbs. The price of that house never went down in the past 20 years. They would still be waiting for the "burst" now 20 years later if they had not built at that time.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
The media have been talking about a RE bubble bursting for several years. About two years ago a friend decided to sell and buy a bigger house. When he sold his neighbor was convinced that the bubble was about to burst so he sold his house and decided to rent and wait. The house sold for just around $400k and my friend bought a bigger house for $550k. Now my friend’s house is worth about $950k and his old house is around $650k. His brilliant neighbor who is still waiting for the bubble to burst has lost about $250k in appreciation and he is still renting.

The last real estate “bubble” where houses lost value was in the early to mid 90’s. In Orange County, CA it was about a 21% loss. This was due to a recession and the loss of several hundred thousand high paying aerospace jobs. It’s not likely that another recession like that is going to happen anytime soon. If it did and houses lost 21% then if you had purchased two years ago you would still be ahead. Of course if you bought now and prices dropped then you would be upside down until the house appreciated again.

If you are banking on adjustable loans being the killer of the RE market I wouldn’t bank on it. There have always been adjustable loans, but I can’t remember them ever being the reason for a housing crash. The fed raised rates all through out the late 90’s, but that didn’t kill the RE market in fact it enjoyed record appreciation. Even through out the 2000 recession RE appreciated.

I do think we are in for an adjustment, but I doubt it will be anything more than no appreciation for this year and modest 2-3% a year for a couple of years.

If you are waiting for homeowners to give their houses away because of a slow market you are in for a long wait.
I agree with everything but the last part. 100% actually. While you may hold out, there are others that have houses in escrow and want to sell and will deal to close escrow. Lady bought a house recently, appriasal came back $35k less. Thought deal was lost and seller sold it for $35k less! You just never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina