Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 06:59 AM

67 posts, read 128,169 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Florida for around 25 years and have been wanting out for the last 5 or so. I think living without a/c when the power was off due to hurricanes in 04 was the last straw. We live in downtown Orlando and hate it. Heat, traffic , crime, bad schools, gangs, all bad. The only thing that keeps us here is that both my husband and myself have good jobs . I would like to move to NC. It's my favorite State and we spend a lot of vacations there .What is the job situation for engineers up there at the moment? Are there any high-tech job? Any construction going on ? ( I am a PE) . I would prefer to live in or near the mountains , but living in one of the cities within an hour or 2 from western NC would be ok also. How difficult would it be to meet new people? What are the schools like?

Last edited by sgs123; 11-16-2009 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: font information was on post, not sure why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 07:05 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
I think you'll find the Triangle a bit far from the mountains to suit your needs. Might want to post in the Western NC section. Asheville (or even Greensboro/Winston Salem) might be perfect for you but I can't speak to jobs there. The job situation in the Triangle is not very good right now either.

Frank

Old 11-16-2009, 07:07 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Sounds like you would want to live near Charlotte.

Why not contact recruiters there?

Old 11-16-2009, 07:20 AM

thanks Yes, Charlotte would be ok also, there are absolutely NO jobs for my husband near Ashville...

Old 11-16-2009, 07:46 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times
If you both have good jobs in FL, I would stay there quite honestly and try to make the best of things. NC is far from being a crime-free, cheap, jobs-rich paradise the national media often cracks it up to be. It is a pleasant place to live on the whole, but I've encountered plenty of people who have left other places (particularly Florida and the Northeast) to escape various ills there and ended up disappointed with NC.

Unless you move to Chapel Hill/Carrboro or send your kids to private schools, I seriously doubt you'd see any improvement in the schools over what you have in Florida. Lots of overcrowding and mediocre standards on the whole.

I write all this as someone who really enjoys living in NC, for the most part, but also as someone who would gladly move to Florida (Miami) if circumstances warranted. Your state has its problems, but it's a fascinating place with lots of opportunity if looked at the right way.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
If you both have good jobs in FL, I would stay there quite honestly and try to make the best of things. NC is far from being a crime-free, cheap, jobs-rich paradise the national media often cracks it up to be. It is a pleasant place to live on the whole, but I've encountered plenty of people who have left other places (particularly Florida and the Northeast) to escape various ills there and ended up disappointed with NC.

Unless you move to Chapel Hill/Carrboro or send your kids to private schools, I seriously doubt you'd see any improvement in the schools over what you have in Florida. Lots of overcrowding and mediocre standards on the whole.

I write all this as someone who really enjoys living in NC, for the most part, but also as someone who would gladly move to Florida (Miami) if circumstances warranted. Your state has its problems, but it's a fascinating place with lots of opportunity if looked at the right way.
I love western NC, the area around Boone, or Ashville. I love skiing, snow and mountains. I don't really like to live in any large city at all if I had a choice, but there are not many jobs in rural areas. At least living in some city in NC those areas are closer than a day driving. I really hate the weather in Florida. Plus people in NC seem much nicer than people ( on average) in Florida. But maybe that's because we are always on vacation when we are up there.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:14 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
I wonder if an area like Greenville SC might also be worth checking out.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:17 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
You've posted this in the Triangle forum, when it appears to be more of a "General NC" question, particularly if you're looking towards the mountains. There is also a sub-forum for the Mountains and one for Charlotte, since they seem to be the direction you are thinking?

To answer your question, the job market here is ROUGH and if you both have jobs, I would not recommend jeopardizing that by moving unless you both find something. Besides the layoffs of people who are already here, we have literally hundreds of newcomers moving to the state every day, many looking for work, as your competition.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You've posted this in the Triangle forum, when it appears to be more of a "General NC" question, particularly if you're looking towards the mountains. There is also a sub-forum for the Mountains and one for Charlotte, since they seem to be the direction you are thinking?

To answer your question, the job market here is ROUGH and if you both have jobs, I would not recommend jeopardizing that by moving unless you both find something. Besides the layoffs of people who are already here, we have literally hundreds of newcomers moving to the state every day, many looking for work, as your competition.
I figured there would be more jobs in the area around Raleigh, that is why I posted my thread there...but thanks. We would not move unless at least one of us had a job first. I was just wondering if it was even worth it to look at this time. Maybe we just need to wait a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina