Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 03:15 PM

858 posts, read 2,993,425 times

Advertisements

I Heard a caller on a NJ radio station who indicated he moved to NC to escape the high NJ taxes, and recently moved back beacuse of the devastation (not sure what he meant, and he did not elaborate)

Anyway, we are considering moving to NC from NJ, and are just wondering how many of you guys moved from NJ to NC, are are now looking to move back to NJ; what don't you like about NC, or what have you found in NC that is worse than NJ.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 08:00 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
I Heard a caller on a NJ radio station who indicated he moved to NC to escape the high NJ taxes, and recently moved back beacuse of the devastation (not sure what he meant, and he did not elaborate)

Anyway, we are considering moving to NC from NJ, and are just wondering how many of you guys moved from NJ to NC, are are now looking to move back to NJ; what don't you like about NC, or what have you found in NC that is worse than NJ.

Thank you

From what I hear, the biggest problem is that people underestimate how much they will miss their extended families and support system. When it comes down to a nice big house with lower taxes versus having grandma and gramps right down the street - family is more important to many

Old 07-10-2010, 10:52 AM

168 posts, read 494,474 times
I am in your shoes, we are also looking to move from NJ to NC, and everyone we talked to in NC from NY/NJ said they would never, ever move back. Most of our fam is in NJ, but the amount of people we'd miss probably isn't over 5. We are a family of three (I'm 16, and my two parents in their mid/late forties). I never had grandparents, my mom has one sister in NJ and one brother in NC, and my dad's family is split beetween NJ and CA, but we never see them too much anyway. The only person we have somewhat of a problem leaving is my great aunt who will be 90 in January, but we are hoping she will come down to NC in the next year or two.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:54 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Quote:
Maybe he was talking about the economy.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:55 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Maybe he was talking about the economy.
I feel sure that's what the word "devastation" referred to. With the banking crisis and the recession that followed our economy took a huge hit and our umemployment numbers are still pretty high.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:49 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post

Thank you
I'm not aware of any widespread reversal in migration of NJ people to NC. I'm from Monmouth County NJ and have been very happy in Raleigh for 5+ years. I still enjoy visiting NJ but have not plans to move back. I was just up in NJ a few weeks ago. Newsflash: The economic "devastation" up there is just as bad (if not worse) than in NC. Add to that the housing crash in NJ and I think NC faired a whole lot better in general.

People move all the time. Don't get too hung up on other people's actions. No place is for everyone. Some people change jobs, realize they miss there family too much, or just need a new scene. Others get too caught up in the moment and don't do their research and are dissapointed when reality does not live up to their inflated expectations. Come for a visit, due your homework, and then decide what is right for you.

Good Luck!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 8,060 times
We moved to NC two years ago from NY and it is a nightmare. We moved to Matthews and then looked for a larger place to find one scam after another as a renters. We came here to get settled and then buy a home. We eventually moved to Charlotte and it is crime ridden and racist. The saying "Southern Hospitality" does not apply here. As soon as we can we are moving back to New York. It is not just that the economy crashed, Charlotte is still embedded with a racist infrastructure--that anyone coming from the northern states will noticed--from, jobs, housing, economic, education. The city has grown, but it has not caught up with diversity. Even finding nice ethnic shops, and restaurants--they rarely exist. The place lacks the cultural stimulation you have in the north and if you wanted to either be pushed into all white neighborhoods, or predominately black neighborhoods as your choice of living--it sours the experience. And although there are integrated communities--the essence of what a community is does not exist here. This is a fake city.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:08 PM

35 posts, read 59,698 times
Know how you feel, southern hospital rarely exists also. Good food is very hard to find and they are very stand offish towards "yankees". We open our mouths and the price of the job (home improvement/maintenence) instantly goes up. I say get to the point, don't be fake nice to me, be real. We have 2 neighbors that are really nice to us, so i must say we have been fortunate in that respect. Be sure to have a job lined up and even that is no guarantee.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:24 PM

168 posts, read 494,474 times
I have been to NC 5 separate trips in the past 2 months, and I have to ask where in NC are you??? We are looking in the Greenville/Winterville/Rocky Mount area and we have felt NOTHING but hospitality towards us (except for one transplant, who was a new yorker). Everyone in stores, even RAOKs exist more, people holding doors, people letting you out into traffic, just the atmosphere. "Fake Nice?" Welcome to New Jersey. Home improvement won't be necessary for us since we plan on moving into a gorgeous brand new home

Old 07-19-2010, 01:17 PM

35 posts, read 59,698 times
People in the stores were nice to us also, then again people in ny held doors for me as well as i for them. Trips are a little different than day to day, our trips to different areas in nc were nice also.
brand new homes are sooo nice, especially the ones that have good sized rooms. good luck and have fun in your gorgeous new home.
fake people are everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina