Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2006, 12:34 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,266 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about the current zoning laws in Charlotte and Raleigh regarding businesses and residential areas? I've tried to research it but I'm hoping someone living in NC can help me with finding this info as I'm not having much luck.

I'm trying to find out if Charlotte and Raleigh have (or don't have) any special zoning laws for businesses (i.e. could someone put an adult themed store in a largely residential area).

Also, are there any building zoning laws for where Trailer Parks or Trailer Homes can reside from other residential areas or is it scattered site everywhere?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2006, 12:48 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,254 times
Most cities of any decent size will have zoning....residential, commerical, retail, office, wharehouse/factory, etc. Then you have special cases, like adult businesses you mentioned. (In Raleigh, they can't be put near a church, school, residential area, etc...however, if the adult business comes first and the church or homes come after, the adult business doesn't get penalized. Which makes sense.)
There's also many cities pushing "mixed-use" zoning for the urban areas: buildings that have stores/restaurants on first floor with apartments above. That's increasing in popularity these days thankfully.
As far as trailers, most cities in NC have restrictions on where they can go. Rural areas usually don't.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:44 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob
Most cities of any decent size will have zoning....residential, commerical, retail, office, wharehouse/factory, etc. Then you have special cases, like adult businesses you mentioned. (In Raleigh, they can't be put near a church, school, residential area, etc...however, if the adult business comes first and the church or homes come after, the adult business doesn't get penalized. Which makes sense.)
There's also many cities pushing "mixed-use" zoning for the urban areas: buildings that have stores/restaurants on first floor with apartments above. That's increasing in popularity these days thankfully.
As far as trailers, most cities in NC have restrictions on where they can go. Rural areas usually don't.
Thanks for answering my post. I'm surprised I couldn't Google any real articles on the subject.
Maybe that's a good sign if noone complains or writes an article on it?

Old 08-03-2006, 06:20 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,335 times
Check with the local zoning authorities. They are usually quite helpful. Also be sure to check deed restrictions on any property you may be considering purchasing. What isn't covered by zoning is very often covered in the deed restrictions. It can often be restricted for any kind of commercial business to operate in an area that's zoned residential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick
Does anyone know anything about the current zoning laws in Charlotte and Raleigh regarding businesses and residential areas? I've tried to research it but I'm hoping someone living in NC can help me with finding this info as I'm not having much luck.

I'm trying to find out if Charlotte and Raleigh have (or don't have) any special zoning laws for businesses (i.e. could someone put an adult themed store in a largely residential area).

Also, are there any building zoning laws for where Trailer Parks or Trailer Homes can reside from other residential areas or is it scattered site everywhere?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me with this.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 8,648 times
Hello
i have land (3 acres) in
a residential area of shan quarter N.C. in the area of (27885) what
im looking to do if the zoning permits or if it will be changing so i can
do (ground leasing) for the most part my land is in a farmilg area but i
need to know if i can do the leasing now or even a little later

A- will the zoning allow me to use to
open farmland to do ground leasing
B- what businesses are
cominginto the area just looknig to lease (banks,drug,stores ect,)
C- the names and address of thse compaines or their acting real estate
brokers
D- any local goverment agencies looking just to lease land
E- whats the overall projection of the economic outlook in this area
realted to what im trying to do
F- what is the square foot rate charege on the average ground leases
G-can you operate this type of set up through an LLC CORP.
H-whats on the agenda of the local planning board and local goverment
and how it might affect what im looking to do

I need these information.. If anyone can help me. it would be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina