Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 07:47 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times

Advertisements

Sheesh, but what's NOT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 07:52 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
ausmerika - You say "Carolina" around here to natives or long-time residents and it means one thing - UNC-CH. No native would refer to the state as simply "Carolina" as it is always differentiated. It's North Carolina, or NC.

Perhaps new residents are calling it "Carolina"?

Then there's Greenville. As there is one in NC and SC, one always says Greenville South, or Greenville North. If you say Greenville, be prepared to explain which one
And to confuse you just a bit more -- there's BO-fort, and there's BUU-fort. Knowing which is NC, and which is SC, separates the natives from the newbies.

In Wilmington, folks still argue over how to pronounce 'Kerr,' but Wilmingtonians defer to the pronunciation of the Kerr family there for whom the thoroughfare was actually named.

And lastly, re: "Carolina." Of which was James Taylor singing when he penned in my mind, I'm going to Carolina?

Old 04-12-2010, 05:18 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
I think the whole UNC-CH thing is more relevant within the state than outside of it. Most people from outside the state aren't usually aware that the consolidated University has many campuses that are distinguished by the -x designations. Within the state, it's safe to assume that if one doesn't say -CH, one is referring to the flagship in Chapel Hill. I hear UNC, UNC-Chapel Hill and just "Chapel Hill" being used interchangeably. The same is true for NC State. One hears State, NC State, NCSU and (sometimes by oldtimers) State College. Nobody from either school should be offended by any of the designations.
BTW, I call myself a State Alumnus.....and, yes, I am relevant.

Speaking of relevancy, did anyone notice what city was missing from the story?

Old 04-12-2010, 08:46 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,680,497 times
The Carolina thing confuses me.

I graduated from the University of South Carolina.

I moved to North Carolina and instantly shed my garnet and black for Carolina blue.

I don't know which one is the true Carolina, but they both rock compared to those other schools--Duke, NC State, and definitely Clemson!

Old 04-14-2010, 01:06 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
He wrote of the "mint-fresh forests of towering pine" and that the air seemed scented with azaleas.

Was he on drugs? Pine trees smell like pine (not mint), and azaleas have no aroma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina