Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 06:23 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,160,511 times

Advertisements

Congratulations !!! Our house will be listed by Monday ! Unfortunately my husbands job, which requires us to relocate to South Georgia, will start Sept. 1st. I'm a bit nervous leaving the house empty here in Fort Lauderdale. His boss is trying to get us there in 2 weeks- I see it more at the end of this month. Too many things to do !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2006, 09:36 AM

164 posts, read 353,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp
We signed the offer today. We don't have a back up offer though so we are not going to go out to nc until we get past the inspection. But everything looks good. We are so excited!! Seems like today is a lucky day for alot of people selling their houses.

Congratulations Chimp!! Very happy for you and I wish you the best on your new adventure!

BYW - going to Oregon this weekend. My parents bought a summer home in Black Butte Ranch in central Oregon (too hot in Fresno, where we all live, in the summer). They love it! We lived in Eugene for 2 years when I was a kid so my dad could get his MBA at UofO. My brother and his family live in the Bay Area and are considering a move to Bend in a few years, and my parents might move up to Black Butte full time in a few years. Oregon has a special place in our hearts! My husband and I thought about it as well, and have gotten lots of pressure from family, but it seems that even Oregon is getting expensive too??!!

Old 08-03-2006, 09:52 AM

217 posts, read 800,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connie
Congratulations Chimp!! Very happy for you and I wish you the best on your new adventure!

BYW - going to Oregon this weekend. My parents bought a summer home in Black Butte Ranch in central Oregon (too hot in Fresno, where we all live, in the summer). They love it! We lived in Eugene for 2 years when I was a kid so my dad could get his MBA at UofO. My brother and his family live in the Bay Area and are considering a move to Bend in a few years, and my parents might move up to Black Butte full time in a few years. Oregon has a special place in our hearts! My husband and I thought about it as well, and have gotten lots of pressure from family, but it seems that even Oregon is getting expensive too??!!

I hope you have fun in Black butte. The JUST missed the big wildfire they had out there. They had a voluntary evac of Black butte and they where really afraid it would hit it but luckly the wind changed direction and they were able to keep it back.

Bend is INSANE expensive. The problem is there are no real jobs in the bend area but the housing prices are SO high. I have a friend whose husband is a police officer in Bend and they cannot afford to buy a house.

All of Oregon is getting expensive. It may not seem that expensive to others but here the wages are not keeping up. My husband works for the State in the IT field and he is topped out and has nowhere else to go. And here the public is Totally against state workers. Every year they take more away from him. For three years nobody got any type of raise at all. Which would have been too bad but the housing market has gone up so high. We sold our 3bed/2bath 1540sqft home for 225,000. But the next level of housing (4bd/2bath 2000+ sqft) is in the $350,000 range and going up but no raises to match. And that is here in Salem. Eugene and Portland are even worse. That and we just want a change.

I cannot wait to get out there to NC, but we are a bit nervous about making friends.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I cannot wait to get out there to NC, but we are a bit nervous about making friends.
You won't have problems making friends - people from Oregon are universally cool and great people to know!! It's funny - everyone has always thought California was "the" place, but I think Oregon is the true gem. One problem - your speed limits are too slow!! 55 MPH? Are you kidding? I could get out of the car and run alongside just as quick! At least, it feels that way when you drive in Cal with the speed limit at 70 and then hit the border. Please have that changed by this Saturday ...

Old 08-03-2006, 10:10 AM

I will see what I can do about the speed limit.

Let me just call up the gov!

What route are you taking to bend??? The one from Albany to bend and the one from Salem to bend are both bad on traffic in the summer (two lane curvy road)

From what I hear you better get used to the slower traffic...nc is 55mph too.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I will see what I can do about the speed limit.

Let me just call up the gov!

What route are you taking to bend??? The one from Albany to bend and the one from Salem to bend are both bad on traffic in the summer (two lane curvy road)

From what I hear you better get used to the slower traffic...nc is 55mph too.
Driving up I-5 until we get to the fabulous city of Weed, California. Then we take 97 up to Bend. I-5 moves pretty fast, except for the cars with Oregon plates going about 60 mph! NC has a 55 mph limit as well?? Well, we'll just see about that!

Old 08-03-2006, 11:09 AM

Well at least on 97 there won't be as many police. (*Disclaimer: I do not in anyway condone the practice of driving over the speed limit*)

Though on I-5 there are parts that are 65 now.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:27 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Someone needs to send the sold vibe here to us in NC we cant seem to sell our house, and it has a screened porch and large wooded lot, but people say it is too much to take care of!!! need sold now!!!!

Old 08-03-2006, 10:37 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,830,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connie
Driving up I-5 until we get to the fabulous city of Weed, California

I actually have a photo of a sign while driving down the freeway in Oregon.
Boring to the left and Klackamus to the right!

Quote:
NC has a 55 mph limit as well??
Dough!

Last edited by Yac; 08-04-2006 at 12:54 PM..

Old 08-04-2006, 12:26 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1
Someone needs to send the sold vibe here to us in NC we cant seem to sell our house, and it has a screened porch and large wooded lot, but people say it is too much to take care of!!! need sold now!!!!
I must say that, coming from California, it's nice to hear our real estate agent say that NC is a buyer's market (depending on the city, of course). We're looking to buy ourselves since renting sort of lacks real benefits for us. Gregsbabe, do you have a site where I can see your home? What area do you live?

Salaries have certainly not kept up in California either, however. And there are way too many people who are either secretly rich, or lieing on their applications to buy things here. As this market softens, and CA is softening, we should feel some big pain from the downslope. However, it's gonna take a lot of sliding before CA ever becomes affordable again, if ever.

Well, NC here we come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina