Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2010, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,635 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to build a house in the near future in Bismarck and are having a tough time trying to figure out which builder to use. I have not lived here that long to know who has a good rep of quality work and who does not. If anyone has any comments or suggestions on what builders are good, in the price range of $200,000 to $250,000, and why or which builders to steer away from and why would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 09:13 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,218,221 times
Default Overbuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfaninND View Post
My wife and I are looking to build a house in the near future in Bismarck and are having a tough time trying to figure out which builder to use. I have not lived here that long to know who has a good rep of quality work and who does not. If anyone has any comments or suggestions on what builders are good, in the price range of $200,000 to $250,000, and why or which builders to steer away from and why would be greatly appreciated.
Your price range in Bismarck (using Billings, MT as a guide) would buy you a large house in a newish subdivision. Not a McMansion but the next size down. I think you'll wish you hadn't built that size as the top end is overbuilt nationwide, even in North Dakota (outside of the oil areas).

My advice would be to buy something in the 150-200k range that is already built reguardless of situation. I don't believe housing in the US is a good investment unless you are going to live there for the next 15 years or are building in the oil areas such as Williston (good luck getting a plat approved) or Dickinson (just annexed a decent area north of town). There are too many clouded title properties and trashed homes in high end markets to have any price appreciation anywhere statewide, again oil boom areas excluded.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,663 times
There aren't a lot of bad quality builders in Bismarck. I would say there are those builders that are overpriced such as a ziegler or mitzel. I would just make sure to get a few quotes from different builders compare square footage and what you are given inside the home to others. For instance couple builders build exterior walls 2x4 make sure you are getting 2x6 exterior walls. I would say three pretty good builders I've seen are MK Home Builders, SunLite Homes, and Kodiak. I think you'd do fine contacting any of them. Good luck to you and don't listen to the previous poster ND housing is strong and it's not getting any weaker with oil so close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota