Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 05:07 AM

4 posts, read 8,935 times

Advertisements

hi i am a lesbian and i just love the look of north dakota i am more of a country girl and less of the LA lesbian as is my wife. but i dont want to live/move somewhere we will not fit in. so how gay friendly is it? i dont need it to be gay pride everywhere but i dont want people always giving us mean looks or saying things. we just want to have kids someday and fit in. so what towns are more democratic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 06:58 AM

120 posts, read 313,526 times
I lived in N.D. around 20 years ago. At that time the state was pretty conservative. I don't recall ever hearing of any serious crimes commited against anyone because of their sexual orientation though, if that's what you mean. If you are looking for more like minded people such as yourself, perhaps Fargo would be your first choice simply because of it's larger population.
I think as long as you don't pull a Rosie O'Donnell and cram your lifestyle down peoples throats and tell them to deal with it or call people homophobes because they don't agree with your lifestyle, you should have no problem fitting in no matter where you relocate. Fargo, Bismarck, Minot all have gay people. I'm sure in a smaller town you and your partner would be the subject of much gossip but I doubt anybody would get up in your face about it. Just let people get to know you as a person before letting the cat out of the bag.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:39 AM

419 posts, read 1,398,697 times
It probably would depend on your work/living environment as well. Even in Fargo, which has been mentioned as more progressive, there would be a huge difference between working in construction vs. working in academia or living near downtown (say legislative district 21) vs living in the gated developments on the SW side (districts 41 & 46).

Old 08-27-2011, 09:39 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,365,738 times
I have found that the western part of the state (where I live) is fairly tolerant. They just don't seem to care about your sexual orientation, religious beliefs, or political affiliation. I'm agnostic and liberal, most people I'm friends with don't care.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:46 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,019,836 times
Grand Forks is usually termed the most liberal town in North Dakota politically wise due to UND and other influences. We have a lesbian couple who live down the street from us and I live in a smaller community across the river in East Grand Forks MN. One is a Grand Forks police officer. There have never been any issues in the 8 years they have lived there. People around here tend to keep to themselves often and wont have any issues.

--Dan

Old 08-29-2011, 06:49 PM

231 posts, read 874,156 times
Fargo has a Pride parade every year, and a lot of events. The population tends to be well educated and tolerant. I know some people who like to watch the parade. FM Pride

Of course there are bad apples everywhere. Grand Forks is probably about the same attitude, it's a little smaller though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota