Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 10:17 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I'm sorry, but a smack in the head is what some people apparently need. Take the post earlier in the week of the couple jumping on a bus for Williston. Really? That's your plan? No car, no place lined up. What are you going to do, walk around town and sleep in the alleyways at night? I'm really worried what is going to happen come January. I have a feeling there is going to be a body count, and not a small one.
Unfortunately I agree Velvet. I appreciate your support.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:17 AM

265 posts, read 686,822 times
Also realize that this site only reaches .05 % of any population that is thinking about or actually moving here. Its all about trying to save our families because unfortunately our society runs on money and the government is not are staunchest Ally your common person is..the government gives out billions in aid to other countries instead of giving out billions to its own people and all it would take is helping our own people with that money which would only consist of 200+ million a far sight cheaper than giving billions away to countries that have no intention of giving any money back once they become solvent..The common insolvent person that lives here once they become solvent is going to spend money where? here of course which would essentially help us all be a solvent country leading ourselves out of debt as a country as well as individually...just sayin..peace...jim

Old 11-18-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
You know what, I'm done for awhile.

I'll still check my PM's so if people want information from someone who actually lives in Williston (Jan does not), knows what the crime rates are (no, you won't be mugged when walking out to your car and people aren't getting raped in the WalMart parking lot), etc. feel free to send me a message.

Jan, I get what you're trying to do, but honestly if people were looking to listen to you they would have the first time.
I honestly do not understand why you are posting to me the things you are. You do not know me, althought I shared some personal information because you asked where I lived. I don't know what you think I am trying to do, other than warn ppl of what to expect if they still come unprepared. I would very much appreciate if you stopped calling me out. We have never had a personal conversation, and you're acting as though I pissed in your cheerios. Anything I posted in quotes, came directly from the other posting. I asked folks about the Walmart "rapes" because it had been posted on the thread by Williston Oilfield Wives. Now, let me take a moment to say, I started this thread to get others to post their experiences. I appreciate the lessons we all have to learn from others experiences. I did not start this thread thinking, How can I **** someone off. These are not my issues. Be safe, and God Bless

Last edited by JanND; 11-18-2011 at 11:09 AM..

Old 11-18-2011, 10:35 AM

454 posts, read 940,367 times
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones
I'm sorry, but a smack in the head is what some people apparently need. Take the post earlier in the week of the couple jumping on a bus for Williston. Really? That's your plan? No car, no place lined up. What are you going to do, walk around town and sleep in the alleyways at night? I'm really worried what is going to happen come January. I have a feeling there is going to be a body count, and not a small one.

I believe that woman's name was Holly and I have been hoping for an update from her since I first read her post about coming up on the bus. I hope all is well for her and her hubby, it's been pretty cold these last couple days and nights.

JanND, I see you and LisaN as offering two different areas of expertise and I don't see why there is an issue either. Still hoping some will share actual accounts of living in a vehicle or a tent in a ND winter.

Last edited by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska; 11-18-2011 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: correct spelling error

Old 11-18-2011, 10:48 AM

231 posts, read 873,113 times
My advice, as a life-long North Dakotan, would be this: Keep enough money in your pocket to return home if you don't find a job and housing right away after your arrival. I understand some people literally arrived in town during the warm months with only a few dollars left. Doing that in the Winter can turn you into a popsicle. I don't know how Williston is set up for emergency shelters, but if there are any, they will become a nightmare once the weather service starts announcing extreme weather condition warnings.

Good Luck, stay safe.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
You know what, I'm done for awhile.

I'll still check my PM's so if people want information from someone who actually lives in Williston (Jan does not), knows what the crime rates are (no, you won't be mugged when walking out to your car and people aren't getting raped in the WalMart parking lot), etc. feel free to send me a message.

Jan, I get what you're trying to do, but honestly if people were looking to listen to you they would have the first time.
Lisan23....As you can see, it was a valid question, that I mentioned in a differant thread, in response to this posting in that thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyscooter
I am not sure where you are from in Texas but there is little to nothing to do in Williston. My husband and I work in the oil field and we were working on a rig near Williston. We went to the Williston Applebee's and it took us 40 mins to be seated and then when we finally were seated no one waited on us for 20 mins. Then we left. We went out back to our car and saw 3 waitresses (hihh school age) taking pulls of vodka. The town is crappy, the people are crappier. The citizens of the town who aren't making money off the oil are constantly squeaky wheels and will make your life miserable knowing you came here for an oil job. Everyone is overweight and a decent/healthy/organic food is non-existent. If you can you should try and live in Bismarck...much better...still not great but atleast it has decent restaurants and responsible high schoolers. Also, do NOT go to the Walmart. There has been several rapes in the parking lot lately.

OK this is where I saw this about the rapes....the Oil Field Wives thread, posted 11/15/11

Old 11-18-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones

I believe that woman's name was Holly and I have been hoping for an update from her since I first read her post about coming up on the bus. I hope all is well for her and her hubby, it's been pretty cold these last couple days and nights.

JanND, I see you and LisaN as offering two different areas of expertise and I don't see why there is an issue either. Still hoping some will share actual accounts of living in a vehicle or a tent in a ND winter.
I think the problem is that she is from Texas, and other than that I do not know what her experience is in Williston, or how long etc. She has yet to share that, and I am still hoping she will share those experiences. The new comers could probibly use the info, if she has wintered here.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:12 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
There are about 5 threads discussing the exact same thing. In the next few days those threads will be merged into one thread. This thread was closed because with 2 pages of posts, half of the posts are argueing and not discussing the topic.

I don't live in Williston, but I can darn sure tell a person that snow is cold and blowing snow is dangerous. To sleep in a car in those conditions if foolish at the very least. I don't have to live there to say that, so get over the fact of where people live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota