Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 07:53 AM

125 posts, read 645,271 times

Advertisements

My husband came out here (Watford City) 1 year ago and is working in the oil fields. I came out here in December with our kids. All I hear from the locals is that they want us people gone we are trash. My kids 11 & 7 have come home in tears because local kids aren't allowed to play with those kids. WTH? We are not trash we are working paying taxes trying to contribute to the community. I hear it at work, and where I work they have ran all the outsiders out of and now sit and complain about how they are so over worked because of all the outsiders here. I know a few families that the wife and kids have moved back home cuz they can't deal with the comments. I know its an adjustment for the locals and it is hard to deal with all the growth but it's an adjustment for the families too, geeze I moved 1500 miles from home. We are not trash and what does that say about North Dakota people when they are saying stuff like that to children. Come on pull up your big girl panties and deal with it. Just because some people are bad don't mean all the people are bad. I don't discriminate against all black people because once we were car jacked by a black guy. I am just sick of it, say crap to me is one thing but say the same stuff to my kids and it is unacceptable.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:37 AM

120 posts, read 313,166 times
I'm sorry to hear you and your children are having a rough time. People in N.D. are genereally warm and accepting. Are the bad remarks something people say to your face or just gossip ?
You would think people in Watford City would welcome new residents. Especially the business owners. I'm sure the whole town doesn't feel any animosity towards newcomers. Just a few busybodies with nothing better to do. Have you discussed this problem with school officials ? Normally it takes a little while for children to adjust to new schoolmates but you say they have been there since December. If they are coming home in tears because of harrasment and discrimination something is definitely wrong. I hope you are able to resolve the problem before you feel the need to move out.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:39 PM

231 posts, read 872,892 times
The parents of those kids are resentful, they are just passing it along to their kids. Their lives have been interrupted by a bunch of people moving to their community, driving up prices, increasing traffic, and there is an increase in crime (according to the McKenzie County Sheriff).

They probably aren't making any money from the boom and it's just a hassle to them. It's going to take a lot more time for them to adjust to this intrusion to their lives. The best thing to do is be friendly and not give people a reason not to like you. Until you have broken that ice, they will just see you as oil field trash. Ask any of those who are making a lot more money how they feel, and I bet they welcome the oil boomers.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:01 PM

477 posts, read 1,506,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra dweller View Post
The parents of those kids are resentful, they are just passing it along to their kids. Their lives have been interrupted by a bunch of people moving to their community, driving up prices, increasing traffic, and there is an increase in crime (according to the McKenzie County Sheriff).

They probably aren't making any money from the boom and it's just a hassle to them. It's going to take a lot more time for them to adjust to this intrusion to their lives. The best thing to do is be friendly and not give people a reason not to like you. Until you have broken that ice, they will just see you as oil field trash. Ask any of those who are making a lot more money how they feel, and I bet they welcome the oil boomers.

I agree with Tundra for the majority of trying to explain why some people would be that ignorant. A person really has to take a look of another shoes and try to understand what they are going through. However, it really don't excuse that kind of behavior especially when we are talking about children. I totally despise any kind of bully type behavior!

I'm sorry you have had that kind of experience there! I am a local, well raised in Grassy Butte and went to high school in Watford City now living in Williston for many years. I don't know if there are problems here in the school system like that, I imagine there are cases of it as, of course, people are ignorant. I send my kids to a private school and they were excited to see new kids in their class rooms from other areas. It's exciting, interesting, and they like the "new life" that the "outsiders" bring to their school. We have met some really wonder, kind, respectful out of staters and I love how some guys hold the doors to stores open when we are going in, we can tell they are from out of state because of their accent, lol, we appreciate a door being held open for us very much. Sorry haha but some local guys just don't seem to do that or have not in the past, I notice these things.

I hate to say it, but some people are just nasty, have a clicky way about them and don't seem to want others in their little group. Hey I was a local going to high school in Watford and my experience was not a very good one. I really would rather never sit my foot again in that town or at least that is how I felt when I graduated. Now I am older and know better...the people who were ignorant back then either grew up or not and might still act childish not childlike. I don't know, wish I knew something really profound to write to make you feel better, but just know we locals are not all like that, just like outstaters are not all like...well you know Hold your head up high and be proud you and your children wouldn't treat anyone like that.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:04 PM

Another side note, I always thought that if you were not in sports and in that click, you were not accepted by the kids in that school system!

Old 08-29-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncogirl View Post
Another side note, I always thought that if you were not in sports and in that click, you were not accepted by the kids in that school system!
Clique

Old 08-29-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by come_back_kid View Post
Clique
Haha, shame on me!

Old 08-30-2011, 04:03 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,062,247 times
Maybe Watford City is full of "North Dakota Nazis".

Old 08-30-2011, 08:45 AM

125 posts, read 645,271 times
I totally understand this is a shock to everyone out here including the outsiders. I guess I needed to vent..lol. There are the outsiders that don't respect the area and way of life and there are locals who lable all outsiders as 18 year old party kids coming here to cause trouble. Growing pains suck. I don't like being blamed because the 2 grocery stores have triple prices, blame the person who runs the stores. Traffic scks right now but thats cuz the construction being done to ease traffic.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickey280 View Post
I don't like being blamed because the 2 grocery stores have triple prices,
Sounds Like some people there in Watford City need a refresher course in basic economics.
Hang in there. Christmas is coming. Hearts will soften. Goodwill towards all men and all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota