Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,393 times

Advertisements

KayMom - I have to disagree. I have lived in North Dakota for over half my life. I'm close to retirement age, so that is a long time! I have lived in Eastern ND, Central ND, and now Western ND. I have never met such friendly, helpful, trustworthy people. My husband and I travel a lot and we never find another place as friendly. Currently we live in a very small western ND town that is being bombarded by oil field workers, truck drivers, developers, etc. They all comment on how friendly we are in ND. Maybe your attitude brings out the worst in people. You should work on that! If you come on the attack and dish out your BS, you should expect to get it back. Before you cut down an entire state of people, you would do well to find out if who you are addressing is actually from ND!

Old 10-14-2011, 11:21 AM

95 posts, read 291,107 times
There are a lotta good folks in Nd.Having been all over the state ive never had a bad experience.Unfortunately you've discovered the very few.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:34 PM

481 posts, read 865,174 times
I have learned one thing in this life journey of mine, that there is never a place with perfection, being good or bad.

You have to look for the good in all people, no matter the circumstances.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:16 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,909 times
I moved back to North Dakota after being away for 40 years. So, new and decent people just arriving to North Dakota, I would say: In conversation with your new found neighbors, say " We just moved back after 40 years". But you have to watch the movie Fargo and say it with just a little accent like that, don't over do it. Then say, " where can we get some good lutefisk, or who makes the best head cheese in town? They will never bother you again.,..

Old 10-14-2011, 03:19 PM

481 posts, read 865,174 times
I do respect many responses here, and especially get a chuckle out of that last comment by 'MikeyToo'... As my family is getting ready to move up to the Bismarck/Mandan area this coming spring (2012), but not for the oil industry/work. We are moving to find real life again that is not here in FL along with a more peaceful and less populated way of life with Gods creation for us and our son.

I have to throw something in for all here to understand, because I respect all you from ND and the ones are trying to make home there now.....

I have lived in Louisiana and some of the Gulf Coast communities for years and I have seen the extensive damage done by the energy & petroleum field throughout many states, so I can fully understand and sympathize with the concerns of the natives of ND. This is new to them and not only is it new to them, there is the concern of their life style changing, which is slower and more peaceful than like here in my neck of the woods. I also understand their concern in population growth which in turns brings less peace, more crime, higher prices, etc. etc.. Everyone from everywhere moves here to FL. I am a native Floridian, so I have seen drastic change to our ways here, and the whole atmosphere has changed here, and for the worse I must say. No Joke!

The natives of ND will get use to it, or at least most will come to accept the new changes in their communities. I pray that they will, as ND is a very unique and beautiful state. Traveled through there a few times when I was younger and on my way to Montana for gem follicking.

I wish the best to all for a smooth transition. Wishing the best!

Old 10-15-2011, 09:55 PM

198 posts, read 400,245 times
Default Beautiful ND

As a descendant of people who homesteaded ND, I like to visit. I love the people, the open space and the towns.

I am happy to see that people are doing well in ND with the boom. Yet, can't help but feel sad to see it change.

I hope those who come will respect the place and care for it in the way it has been cared for. It is a gem.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:13 AM

23 posts, read 94,818 times
Default Can't blame it on being German

You can't blame the attitude on being German.... I am of 7/8 German descent myself, and Germans are friendly people. It's the Norwegians who tend to be not so welcoming of outsiders, quite honestly.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:29 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
You just don't understand the Norwegians.
They are overly polite with a hint of aloofness.

It's not that they are unfriendly.

Example, If you are asking a Norwegian to go for coffee you will have to ask them 3 times to get their real answer.

1st time. Hey, Sven ya want to go get some coffee?
Response, eh, no thanks Ole.

2nd time, Ya, sure
response, ho Ya, I'm sure

3rd time, Well, I'm going, do ya want to go.
response, Eh, ho ya, coffee, good idea lets go.

Their just being polite.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:44 AM

203 posts, read 602,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
I agree with the OP. People in ND are not warm and accepting. Sometimes they can be polite but it is forced and they don't really want to talk to you. My husband is stationed at Minot AFB and we are just "basers". Not to mention, if the base wasn't here...where would the town be? Probably non-existent or much smaller than it already is. I think it is just a different in culture, but in the south, people are generally very nice and welcoming, generally not all of them. Generally, people up here...are not so much. I am so glad I am getting out of here in a little over a month! Hope things work out better for you.
Honestly, I haven't found that at all with the adult, but maybe at the college they're more used to transplants. The kids in school are a bit more cliquey, but most of them haven't been to many places outside ND, except maybe Minneapolis. And most of them plan on going to the local college, and settling in the same town as their parents. I've seen this in more than a few out of the locales.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:59 PM

125 posts, read 645,388 times
I friended a "local" on facebook. All was good until I made the comment I am proud to be oil trash, she was making comments all weekend long about the OFT around here. She then proceeded to tell me that all outsiders are trash and pedophiles and need to leave we aren't welcome here anymore. She can call me OFT and its ok but as soon as I say well yeah we are and I'm proud, I then get all her local friends saying crap. To me OFT ppl are hard working willing to go the distance to bring home the bacon for their family. All I have to say is us outsiders are now the majority so maybe you should be nice since we are rtuhless pieces of trash who knows what we might do if you don't play nice....Come on really "locals" you are part of the country that chased the true locals out so pull up your big girl panties and get over it.....

Needless to say I didn't say anything back to her I just unfriended her. I am past high school name calling. I am not sure of how long you have to be out here to be a local but all of these people have been in north dakota 10 years or less....I am just tired of the do as we say not as we do mentality around here. Is it that hard to just play nice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota