Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 06:11 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,114 times

Advertisements

When a land owner doesn't have mineral rights, How does the mineral rights holder to that land get to the oil beneath the land he doesn't own?

If you own land with the mineral rights in the Bakken region, are you almost guaranteed to walk away a millionaire?

What kind of money is realistic to expect per/acre?

How close are the wells?

Last edited by Greg_IA; 03-08-2012 at 06:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 08:19 PM

477 posts, read 1,506,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
When a land owner doesn't have mineral rights, How does the mineral rights holder to that land get to the oil beneath the land he doesn't own?

If you own land with the mineral rights in the Bakken region, are you almost guaranteed to walk away a millionaire?

What kind of money is realistic to expect per/acre?

How close are the wells?
Companies pay the landowners topsoil to drill on their land. Usually around 60,000 or so. The mineral holder really don't have anything to do with it other than signing their minerals to lease them to a company that will then have a rig drill on land for it.

Not necessarily guaranteed to be a millionaire, depends on how many mineral acres they hold and how good of a producing well it is.

Hard to say what to expect, but figure out what a barrel of oil goes for and how many the well is producing and what your percentage is. I got a link for ya to research a bit more. Mineral Rights Forum - America’s conversation place for mineral & royalty owners

How close are the wells? LOL, well I believe they usually are drilling 2 well per section, but I am a bit unclear on the regulation of that. I was talking to another person the other day on that very subject, but can't remember what they said it was.

Why you asking so many questions?

Don't ask to buy my minerals!

Old 03-08-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncogirl View Post
Companies pay the landowners topsoil to drill on their land. Usually around 60,000 or so. The mineral holder really don't have anything to do with it other than signing their minerals to lease them to a company that will then have a rig drill on land for it.
But the companies can't drill without consent of both land owner and the holder of the mineral rights, correct?

Do the landowners ever negotiate some royalties from the mineral rights owner, in addition to the topsoil payment from the oil company for allowing the company to drill on his land?

Quote:
Not necessarily guaranteed to be a millionaire, depends on how many mineral acres they hold and how good of a producing well it is.

Hard to say what to expect, but figure out what a barrel of oil goes for and how many the well is producing and what your percentage is. I got a link for ya to research a bit more. Mineral Rights Forum - America’s conversation place for mineral & royalty owners

How close are the wells? LOL, well I believe they usually are drilling 2 well per section, but I am a bit unclear on the regulation of that. I was talking to another person the other day on that very subject, but can't remember what they said it was.

I'm curious... just like George.

Thanks for the link.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:56 PM

80 posts, read 272,134 times
Quote:
But the companies can't drill without consent of both land owner and the holder of the mineral rights, correct?

Do the landowners ever negotiate some royalties from the mineral rights owner, in addition to the topsoil payment from the oil company for allowing the company to drill on his land?

I'm curious... just like George.

Thanks for the link.
If the land owner doesn't own the mineral rights they don't have any say on what goes on below the surface.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:57 PM

80 posts, read 272,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncogirl View Post

Are they really getting $60,000 for locations up there?

Old 03-09-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafeeder View Post
If the land owner doesn't own the mineral rights they don't have any say on what goes on below the surface.
But they can refuse to allow drilling on their land.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:12 AM

154 posts, read 412,828 times
Quote:
But they can refuse to allow drilling on their land.
Nope.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinj View Post
Nope.
ah, that is what I was wondering.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:23 AM

154 posts, read 412,828 times
It's an ingress/egress thing. If I own land that is surrounded by your land you can't legally prevent my access (road, bridge, etc.) to my property. Same goes with minerals (9-5/8", couple miles long, hole in the ground).
Spacing varies. This explains it better than I can.
Million Dollar Way (All Bakken All The Time): FAQ: "160-Acre Spaced Wells" and "320-Acre Spaced Wells"
Potential $ varies too. A stab at explaining it here.
NDPC :: Royalty Owner Information Center
I can tell you that in my area as little as 5 years ago mineral leases were in the $350/mineral acre range. Couple of years ago it was around $550 and now some are double or triple that. Lease terms have changed a lot too. 10+ year leases used to be common but now you can lease for as little as 3. Partly explains why they are pushing so hard to get the holes drilled right now.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:02 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,231,372 times
Precisely. Which is why, if you own your mineral rights, you don't want to ever sell them!
Lease only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
View detailed profiles of: