Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 01:29 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times

Advertisements

You think the bubble is just heating up, it only takes one or two instances like this to pop the entire thing with the reactionary way lawmakers react to things like this. If I had a home in Williston, I'd sell it, take the money and run. Hopefully we can balance energy production, jobs, and the environment in a way where everybody benefits however.

U.S. News - EPA: 'Fracking' likely polluted town's water
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 06:29 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
You think the bubble is just heating up, it only takes one or two instances like this to pop the entire thing with the reactionary way lawmakers react to things like this. If I had a home in Williston, I'd sell it, take the money and run. Hopefully we can balance energy production, jobs, and the environment in a way where everybody benefits however.

U.S. News - EPA: 'Fracking' likely polluted town's water
Time will tell but I doubt this can be shut down long term. Maybe the bubble will bust for a year but it would come back. I've read oil could go to $150 to $250 per barrel. How would the US economy react to no fracking and $250 oil?

Old 12-09-2011, 08:16 PM

979 posts, read 3,670,321 times
The fracking for gas wells (shallow) is not even comparable to fracking for oil in the BaKken (2 miles down) There aren't even any aquifiers 2 miles down to pollute. This whole "fracking" scare is unfounded and very limited to specific areas of the country where they are using fracking in shallow gas fields. The EPA is not banning fracking, they are just are researching and doing studies to assist states in setting up guidelines. I don't think Obama can afford to have 400,000 energy related jobs around the country lost to an overzealous "fracking" scare.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:19 PM

89 posts, read 167,207 times
I think it is in the oil industry's best interest to do everything within their power for this to be as clean a process that it can possibly be.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:19 AM

454 posts, read 1,242,958 times
It won't do anything. The amount of wealth that is going to be created from fracking is going to be huge. Washington is bought and paid for by the oil companies.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:15 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff75 View Post
I think it is in the oil industry's best interest to do everything within their power for this to be as clean a process that it can possibly be.
Ask the people in PA about all the problems they have had with contaminated drinking water from natural gas fracking.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:40 PM

89 posts, read 167,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Ask the people in PA about all the problems they have had with contaminated drinking water from natural gas fracking.
It is in the oil companies best interest to spend the money now, figure out a better solution so this drama doesn't come up in the future and they can drill in peace. Plus it will open up more opportunities. They use Diesel because it won't gum up in the winter. What's the hurry, stop drilling in the winter and start back up when the weather is better.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:56 PM

394 posts, read 1,170,027 times

Sure, can you point us towards ALL the people who have had problems directly related to fracking? I mean first hand accounts of the people effected. Not someone who is a spokesperson for some group.

What's the hurry, stop drilling in the winter and start back up when the weather is better.

This isn't a snow cone stand. You put personal, and infrastructure in place, which requires massive investment (both public and private). To let it sit idle 6 months of the year is not really practical. Yes, it could be done, just not very effective way to do business. Instead I see the use of alternative lubricants becoming the norm.

BUT with that said, the argument is over injecting DIESEL fuel into a OIL well.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:14 PM

91 posts, read 295,008 times
Why is everybody in denial of the effects fracking has on the environment? Its not rocket science, its fact. Fracking is devastating to the planet, but it provides a good paycheck. I'm not completely gung-ho like "YAAAAAAAAAA FRAC THAT SH** BABY WOOOOHOOO", but my job isnt very environmentally friendly either.

You cant ignore the hazards fracking has on the planet, anyone here will acknowledge that fact.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:21 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbay View Post

Sure, can you point us towards ALL the people who have had problems directly related to fracking? I mean first hand accounts of the people effected. Not someone who is a spokesperson for some group.

[:
Just finished reading a book called "The End of Country." It discusses all of the effects of natural gas fracking from the perspective of the writer who was directly involved with the impact it had on the community. Many wells were contaminated with methane and the company had to "supply" the residents with bottled water. The book mentioned well blowouts and other issues that directly impacted neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
View detailed profiles of: