Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 02:51 PM

175 posts, read 459,875 times

Advertisements

I was quite shocked when I heard about the news segment on 10/31. I thought to myself I learned of this great secret, Williston, and would have time to get my CDL and head down there and grab a job.

Then the news segment aired... which I purposefully am not naming because I'm attempting to avoid Google's spider. And I think, "Great. :/ There's going to be a huge influx of ppl." Sure enough there was.

Is it still crazy there with applicants? Like as crazy as after the news segment?

I was hoping to show up and start working but the longer I it's taking me to get there the more I think that will not be my reality. Just looking to prepare for it if that is the case. It's different for any job type... as for what I'm looking for, in order of preference:
  • Crude hauling
  • Water/Sand Hauling
  • Working on a rig
  • $18/hr ~80+ hrs/wk (Lower overtime tolerable)
  • I'll go as low as $15/hr + 20+ hr OT but I'd leave as soon as I found something higher paying. Although I would keep said job to work during the "off" week or two if I'm on rotation and the employer allowed.

Comes down to I basically need a pay check sooner than later. I can't sit and wait one month for my first check to arrive after I get to ND. And I need to make a decision on when to go. I prefer in the winter because there, ideally, will be less competition. But I will have no money for bills. If I wait 'til spring I'll have money to sit and wait around for my check but I'll be a water molecule in an ocean of job seekers. An exaggeration for sure, but pretty much encapsulates how I feel.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 03:34 PM

91 posts, read 294,942 times
Yep, its true. Theres still lots of people flooding here, and not many people leaving because of the weather like in the past. Lots of people coming up here everyday, and most of them seem to be toughing it out.

I was broke when I got here almost a year ago, and didnt have much of a choice but to neglect my bills until i got my first paycheck, it wasnt a wise decision but I literally had $40 to my name and waited damn near a month before i got my first check.

There are still tons of people here looking for work.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:44 PM

25 posts, read 41,601 times
Damn, i was also hoping people would leave before i got there the first of the year!

Old 12-13-2011, 07:47 AM

454 posts, read 940,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubC View Post
Damn, i was also hoping people would leave before i got there the first of the year!
I'm no weather expert, but so far this winter season has been unbelievably mild compared to what my memory has stored of the last three. I don't think many people who took the time and spent the money to come up to N.D. are going to turn tail and leave until we get a real cold snap, accompanied by some wind - then, we may see people leaving in droves. Last forecast I heard was for seasonable to above temps, through Christmas.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:55 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubC View Post
A lot of people are hurting financially. If this job boom took place a few years ago when jobs elsewhere where plentiful, you wouldn't be seeing this kind of influx of job seekers. A lot of them do not any other choice than to "make" it. It's going to have to get pretty cold before many of them give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
View detailed profiles of: