Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:31 PM

57 posts, read 101,271 times

Advertisements

I'm taking another trip to Dickinson and the surrounding areas on Friday and will stay for one week. I'll fly in and plan on driving rental car to every single bar, church, apartment complex, mobile home park, rental agent, relator etc searching for a place to stay. I'm heading out in a 30 miles circle from Dickinson max. Will hit all the little towns. This will be my second trip out there as the first trip yielded no luck. The cheapest I found was $2000 a month and I can't swing that. I'd be working for free. There are very few houses for sale at any price either and most people are buying new. That is my goal also but I can't afford to move out there and jump right in and buy a house. Plus no bank would give someone a mortgage being a new hire, even with excellent credit and a large downpayment. I already checked.

The local classifieds are full of people literally begging for a place to stay. The locals told me there are better options than Dickinson as it's to expensive to rent or even buy here. Really like the area though and this is where the work and training is so I'm trying again. Running out of cash doing these trips but it's better to be safe than ending up homeless in the ND Winter. This is my last try. If I can't find a place, I'm going to have to take a pass. The company will have to provide housing and then I'd take it. Otherwise it's not worth it.
One more try...wish me luck and I will let you know how it went. I'll also try and post some pictures when I get back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 12:55 PM

625 posts, read 1,882,651 times
Look at jobs in other areas of the state. Yes, they don't pay as well, but living expenses are not nearly as high either. 2 br apartments run $500-$800 here. $500 for a basic apt. w/paid heat & water & outside parking...you pay your own electric, cable & internet. $800 for a place w/dishwasher, garbage disposal, laundry hookups, and 2 indoor parking spaces.

I know, because I just called a realtor yesterday for someone else on these forums that decided to look for a job away from the oilfields.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Oaks View Post
Look at jobs in other areas of the state. Yes, they don't pay as well, but living expenses are not nearly as high either. 2 br apartments run $500-$800 here. $500 for a basic apt. w/paid heat & water & outside parking...you pay your own electric, cable & internet. $800 for a place w/dishwasher, garbage disposal, laundry hookups, and 2 indoor parking spaces.

I know, because I just called a realtor yesterday for someone else on these forums that decided to look for a job away from the oilfields.
I may eventually end up doing that. This job is offering paid training that I can't get anywhere else. Once I have it, I can go anywhere in the USA and get a job. No other place in the USA is offering what they are in regards to training and I'm willing to pay a premium in cost of living for this. They want me to live in or near Dickinson as a condition of emplyment for a couple of years. My biggest concern is ending up homeless in the ND winter, not being able to save any money as I'm paying it all out in rent, not having money to send back home to the wife until she joins me here as I'm paying it all out in rent, etc. This move is a one shot deal for us. We have money to put down on a house once we get here and that's it. As long as the cost of living doesn't eat it all up and we are stuck. We can't afford to do this twice.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:04 PM

9 posts, read 30,181 times
Good luck to you- I have been reading your story as you posted it- I hope you are successful this time! Keep in mind that there are plenty of people (like me) who are trying to come out there and are also looking for an affordable place to stay. If you need a like-minded roommate to make it work, I bet you could find one by posting here... who knows, maybe it'd be me

Old 01-10-2012, 04:07 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
NDRelocation....Good luck on this trip. I sure hope that you find a place. Keeping fingers crossed and prayers out for you. Make up some sort of flyer, or card to hand out, w/ your cell number. what may happen is after you leave, someone will think of somebody that is thinking about renting GMa's house....etc. You may get a call that week. Also, check the boards on the college campus, sometimes people put notices up. Talk to them at job service, explain that you have a job, just no place to live. Start calling today, and then follow-up next week, may give em time to think of something. I would print out a list of realtors for the area you described, the churches. Contact them, you never know churches will sometimes mention so and so is looking for a small place, bla...bla....in the church bulletin. Worth a try. In small towns, Mott, Richardton, Gladstone, etc. the bartender/waitress may know someone. Good luck, travel safe.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
NDRelocation....Good luck on this trip. I sure hope that you find a place. Keeping fingers crossed and prayers out for you. Make up some sort of flyer, or card to hand out, w/ your cell number. what may happen is after you leave, someone will think of somebody that is thinking about renting GMa's house....etc. You may get a call that week. Also, check the boards on the college campus, sometimes people put notices up. Talk to them at job service, explain that you have a job, just no place to live. Start calling today, and then follow-up next week, may give em time to think of something. I would print out a list of realtors for the area you described, the churches. Contact them, you never know churches will sometimes mention so and so is looking for a small place, bla...bla....in the church bulletin. Worth a try. In small towns, Mott, Richardton, Gladstone, etc. the bartender/waitress may know someone. Good luck, travel safe.
That's very sound advice Jan and I thank you very much for your prayers. the flyer idea is great also. I'll print a few pages out right now. I actually found a place to stay for a few days about 15 miles from Dickinson that is not a hotel. Hotels are all booked solid anyway. Way cheaper also but no long term stay allowed. I plan on asking them lots of questions in regards to rentals. Weather is supposed to be pretty good also so I may get lucky. The company is trying to help me and maybe some of the people I will be working with will feel better once they meet me in person with possible help. I have ONE lead for a place to stay that's not way overpriced. Hope it's still available. I'll get some photos this time as I don't have to drive back and forth from Bismarck because I have a room pretty close to Dickinson.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:02 PM

Sounds like you've got a good handle on it! I can't imagine that you wouldn't end up with exactly what you need, sooner or later. Perseverence is a wonderful thing!

Old 01-10-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldstream04 View Post
Sounds like you've got a good handle on it! I can't imagine that you wouldn't end up with exactly what you need, sooner or later. Perseverence is a wonderful thing!
Man I hope so. Thanks for the encouragement and kind words! If I find a place and get some additional tips, I'll PM you. Photos coming for sure. I'll try and focus on the good, bad and ugly....a well blended montage of reality in regards to housing and quality of life. I will make sure it's an honest observation.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:11 PM

Awesomesauce.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:11 PM

625 posts, read 1,882,651 times
Best of Luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota