Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 07:31 AM

692 posts, read 1,707,258 times

Advertisements

Observed your forecast this morning. Looks like old man winter is coming to call. Prayers to all without proper housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 08:23 AM

477 posts, read 1,506,707 times
Yes, I really hope that everyone is winterized for this weather. I know there is a 5th wheel parked by their school this morning and I asked if they knew who's it was or if they knew who might be staying it. I was thinking it might be someone related with the school, but they said they didn't know. Actually I was surprised when they said I don't think anyone would be staying in the camper in winter and I said oh yes there are a lot still in campers due to the housing issue. I would have thought they knew that with all the campers sitting all over the town and outside of it, but I guess they assumed that in winter they wouldn't have to stay in a camper.

Yes, it's dang cold out there and I prayer for those with no proper housing!

Old 01-18-2012, 08:29 AM

57 posts, read 101,274 times
I can't even imagine living in a camper in ND. I can't beleive this is even legal to have small children living in such deplorable living conditions. It's borderline child abuse if you ask me. ND needs to get thier act together with these campers and hobos all over the place. It's disgusting.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:45 AM

Well one thing is with most campers is that they were not made to be lived in full time with the furnace blowing nonstop. I know they have some nice all season campers made for this type of weather, but most are not that around here. It's amazing how many older campers are around and I know they are not insulated very good.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:05 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Borderline Child abuse. That made me laugh. Obviously you never lived in one. I did. I lived in a camper trailer for 9 years and traveled all over the US where the job sent me. Yes, I stayed in it during the winter.

My camper was 71 degrees and my son, daughter, and I enjoyed a good movie and popped pop corn. Outside, was -37. No, I didn't freeze up.

In the morning, we'd cook breakfast, the kids would get ready for school and I would take them to school and then go to work. Wow, when we got home, the camper was still 70 degrees. We didn't freeze to death and we didn't blow over.

Until you have lived in one or even owned one and stayed in it more then a day, how can you judge what it would be like????

Right now, across the nation, there are hundreds of thousands of people living in campers, travel trailers, rv's motorhomes, etc and they live a normal life. How about that?

Today's weather is going to get worse instead of better. The cold has hit and now it's time for snow. It's comeing in from the West and I don't know if it will reach Williston, but it might. Prairie area's in Montana are reporting a foot of snow, the mountains to the West are reporting over 2 ft of new snow.

So stay warm, drive safe, and watch out for trucks doing 70 mph with a driver that has never driven on ice, but by golly, he has 6 hours of experience under his belt. There are hundreds of them on the roads around Williston. One of them even went through a trailer court and took out a trailer a while back. So the record shows, that living in an RV, trucks are more dangerous to your life and property than the cold is.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:43 AM

I am hoping we do get a couple of inches at least. Just because I want to use my snowmobile this winter instead of sitting where it is, lol.

Well you knew what you were doing ElkHunter, but it's those that don't that will be having some problems. The thing is whereever you drive you can see campers sitting with no winterization done, like skirting for one thing. I know the warmer weather was unusual for sure and might have gave some people a false sense of being okay. It's those that hopefully don't have any children with them right now.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:16 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
there are people who do questionable things, like take newborns to movie theaters only to have them cry the whole movie, take them out to clubs and festivals when it's time to be settling down not living like one is in high school. The perception that living in a camper would be unsafe is surely there, but I'd imagine every situation is different and not everyone should be painted under one brush.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:04 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
And, it wasn't so many weeks ago those of us that repeatedly issued warnings to job seekers not come to N.D. w/out housing were just about run off the forum by hecklers.
ndrelocation....People have tried to warn folks, Walmart had RV's, trailers hauled off, and ticketed in Williston. There isn't much a town can do beyond ticket and warn folks. People came regardless of the housing shortage warnings. Many on this forum. We now just hope for the best. 45 below w/windchill possible here in Grand Forks overnight and tomorrow

Last edited by JanND; 01-18-2012 at 05:16 PM..

Old 01-18-2012, 07:06 PM

941 posts, read 1,915,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Borderline Child abuse. That made me laugh. Obviously you never lived in one. I did. I lived in a camper trailer for 9 years and traveled all over the US where the job sent me. Yes, I stayed in it during the winter.

My camper was 71 degrees and my son, daughter, and I enjoyed a good movie and popped pop corn. Outside, was -37. No, I didn't freeze up.

In the morning, we'd cook breakfast, the kids would get ready for school and I would take them to school and then go to work. Wow, when we got home, the camper was still 70 degrees. We didn't freeze to death and we didn't blow over.

Until you have lived in one or even owned one and stayed in it more then a day, how can you judge what it would be like????

Right now, across the nation, there are hundreds of thousands of people living in campers, travel trailers, rv's motorhomes, etc and they live a normal life. How about that?

Today's weather is going to get worse instead of better. The cold has hit and now it's time for snow. It's comeing in from the West and I don't know if it will reach Williston, but it might. Prairie area's in Montana are reporting a foot of snow, the mountains to the West are reporting over 2 ft of new snow.

So stay warm, drive safe, and watch out for trucks doing 70 mph with a driver that has never driven on ice, but by golly, he has 6 hours of experience under his belt. There are hundreds of them on the roads around Williston. One of them even went through a trailer court and took out a trailer a while back. So the record shows, that living in an RV, trucks are more dangerous to your life and property than the cold is.
Wow Elkhunter, just when I thought you never left your house in winter...Pretty cool to travel like that.

Here in central MN it is C O L D....Not much snow still though. Tonight is suppose to be a severe cold warning of as low as -18, and another time saw -35 with windchill. Not sure how true that is but will not walk out and find out, lol.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:18 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
Wow Elkhunter, just when I thought you never left your house in winter...Pretty cool to travel like that.

Here in central MN it is C O L D....Not much snow still though. Tonight is suppose to be a severe cold warning of as low as -18, and another time saw -35 with windchill. Not sure how true that is but will not walk out and find out, lol.
I'm outside every day. Today, I went out to work by the barn (not in the barn) from noon until 6 this evening. Our high was 8 degrees.

Yes, it is going to be a tad nippy tonight and tomorrow in your area. Here's the warning for Central Mn:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DULUTH HAS ISSUED AN EXTREME COLD
WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO NOON CST
THURSDAY.

* LOCATION: NORTH CENTRAL MINNESOTA INCLUDING THE COMMUNITIES OF
ELY...VIRGINA...COOK...INTERNATIONAL FALLS...BIG FORK...GRAND
RAPIDS...WALKER...BRAINERD...AND AITKIN.

* WIND CHILL VALUES: READINGS AROUND 40 BELOW ZERO WILL BE COMMON
AFTER MIDNIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING.

* FROSTBITE TIMES: UNDER THESE CONDITIONS...FROSTBITE OF EXPOSED
SKIN OF A HEALTHY ADULT CAN OCCUR IN 15 MINUTES OR LESS. YOUNG
CHILDREN AND THE ELDERLY ARE MORE SUSCEPTIBLE TO THE COLD.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, if you are in the house, or car, or even have a coat, hat, and gloves on, the windchill will have no effect on you. Windchill also will have no effect on vehicles, pipes, etc. It is only a computation on how fast exposed skin can lead to frostbite. So a word of warning, don't be running around outside necked for more then 15 minutes today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota