Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 03:54 PM

11 posts, read 32,725 times

Advertisements

Having been born and raised in the south, I have little experience with cold weather. +15 degrees is considered very cold here, and I have never experienced negative digits. To further exasperate my cold weather tolerance, I spent the last 6 years working in Iraq. I am currently out of work, so I will be forced to gear up on a tight budget so Carhhart might be out of my price range.
What I need to know is; what type of clothing would you recommend for some one that would be spending a minimum of halve there time working outside, and how many sets of this type of clothing would you expect one needs.

Any information would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 07:09 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
I wanted to suggest that you might read several of the posts made in
November, or do a quick search "Winter gear" or a whatever. There are several threads that deal w/ this topic, many posts that would be helpful to you, some w/ very lengthy specific items and brands mentioned. Have you gotten a job w/ housing?? Make sure and update us when you have time Good luck and be safe.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:45 PM

692 posts, read 1,706,762 times
The type that keeps you warm would be my guess

Old 01-27-2012, 12:57 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
The type that keeps you warm would be my guess
Really? I was planning on buying a lot of fishnet clothing.

Jasper Hobbs

Old 01-27-2012, 02:07 PM

692 posts, read 1,706,762 times
Fishnet clothing lets the air thru LOL

Old 01-27-2012, 03:14 PM

11 posts, read 32,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
Fishnet clothing lets the air thru LOL
I have plenty of ventilated clothing from my days in the desert, what I really need to know is this. Will I freeze to death wearing Guide Gear 100g Thinsulate work jacket and bibs?

Old 01-27-2012, 04:37 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,080 times
Not so long as you have other layers, also.

Think fleece or silk for primary layers so that it wicks sweat away from your skin. (Cotton long handles really aren't the best if you can find anything else).
Then your usual clothes. Then a spring/fall weight type of jacket. THEN your insulated bibbies and coat.

Layers allow you to pile on or off as needs be...

Old 01-28-2012, 01:18 AM

60 posts, read 156,798 times
I bought plenty of cold weather gear before I arrived from North Carolina. My employer then provided me with even more gear. They even provided me with the -148F Baffin boots for the coldest of days. I think most employers provide cold weather gear as a safety requirement.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:34 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,050,843 times
I wouldn't purchase a lot of foul weather gear. Most employers furnish what you will need. Also, most positions requrie a Fire Retardent material and what you find in most stores are not rated properly, even though they say "Fire Retardent". I don't remember the code, but a neighbor bought $500 worth of gear and then found out he can't wear any of it on the job. However, his employer furnished everything needed from boots, to bibs, to parka, to gloves.

What you can buy in advance is the layers. I'm not in the Oil Patch but I am in the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming. I wear a type of silk feeling long johns, blue jeans, denum shirt, pull over sweat shirt, then a insulated hoodie and a regular hoodie and then a jean jacket. I'm good to about -30 while feeding the horses.

The hardest parts to warm, are the most important. Your head will loose 40% of your body heat so cover it well. Tie a kerchief around your neck to stop drafts. Good set of boots. If you can get by with mittens, they are better then gloves. If you have to wear gloves, get good gloves and make sure they are big enough to put liner gloves inside (again, layers).

Something that really helps the feet. Go to a pharmacy and get diabetic socks. They go up to the knee. They are compression socks and they increase and help circulation. Better circulation, more warmth. Then pull on a good set of wool socks over top of the compression socks. By doing this, I get by wearing regular boots, not insulated boots. But I'm not out there all day, only a couple hours at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota