Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 12:11 AM

10 posts, read 20,071 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Everyone has been awesome on here sharing information. Let me get straight to my question though.

Like alot of others, Im unemployed. Rumors suggest that there is a big slowdown on hiring no experience people for oil work in the ND patch.

Is this no experience, like I have never had a job, or no experience on a rig?

Im not here to debate my work ethic but would it matter if I had my bachelors of science degree in business? I have only found one thread, albeit entertaining talking about this subject. I'm simply curious if this provides a leg up on the hiring competition, not necessarily if I'm a better or more valuable human being, so please understand my intentions.

Everyone wants big money and so do I. Can you make it without being on the rig (hoping that not as many "manager type" are flocking to the area).Basically, do I play the strong back or strong mind or both in some degree?

My work exp: 26, degree, business certs (finance and econ), very mechanically inclined anything from heavy truck to off road vehicles, to performance motorsports(nothing official), can drive anything (considering the cdl permit as backup). Worked as a supervisor in a union shop buidling severe duty offroad military vehicles. Buitl all CAT, Cummins, and Detroit powered vehicles. Had engineering internships, entreprenuer, grew up on a farm, etc. Rebuilt a house, including the systems contained within, etc.

I missed a job in watcord city last fall as a CAT repair shop supervisor with three way inc. Still kicking myself.

Any insight on this dead horse is greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 01:28 AM

39 posts, read 141,948 times
There is a lot of talk about converting large trucks etc. to run on natural gas and getting natural gas filling stations installed in more areas now that there is a glut of natural gas that has been produced from the shale plays. At the equivalent of around $2 per gallon vs gasoline NG conversions are being mentioned a lot.

You probably know all this but just I'll throw it out in case it may lead to some business venture for you. Not a good answer to your OP though.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:44 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,235,885 times
They're hurting for mechanics up there, too. And that doesn't mean certified/diesel school grads. That means guys like you with experience.

Depending on what you're after, your degree might be helpful. To be sure, it wont be a hindrance. My hubby has his BA (he drives a truck) and had a coworker who has TWO Masters. Also a driver...

Old 04-03-2012, 09:57 AM

Thank you both for your quick responses!

Rigpig, I have some experience woth adapting hydrogen generators to passenger vehicles so the natural gas conversion idea is great! I at least have done a ton of reaearch in that department! So great idea and thank you.

ItsMeFred,
Thank you. It sounds like even with that "piece of paper" people are still out in the field. Thats good to know. Like you say, maybe it will just let them know I can pick up on things, or however one may generalize that, better than the competition.

The mechanics, if you are acquainted, i assume is working on anything and everything with wheels?

As far as truckers theres all the talk of needing experience. Would they count experience on farm tractors and 4x4 trucks at offroad parks and in mud bogs? Grew up doin that stuff. Haha in all seriousness,I just cant afford mentally and financially to just wing this. I have to plan A LITTLE.

What im basically looking for: dont care about work conditions, want tons of OT. If it was possible, what positions would offer like a 14/14 or 21/21? I live just close enough I could maintain the relationship with my fiance...

Old 04-03-2012, 02:46 PM

192 posts, read 497,514 times
What's in it for you? (or anyone else for that matter)

One Word... Jobs.

You seem to have more qualifications than most who come up here.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:27 PM

Well,

I have spent most of the day applying to jobs online. Approximately 20 now, gonna keep going. I hope they aren't fact waiting like some are saying... this is nerve wracking and I ain't even put anything in the truck!

Old 04-03-2012, 05:46 PM

746 posts, read 1,729,908 times
Your background is almost perfect for fracking crews. Schlumberger, Halliburton, Baker Hughes, Frac Tech would all be drooling over your resume. They want techncial people with hands on experience with large equipment. Don't waste your time with pushing to get a CDL job, when so much more is available to someone with your type ability. A geomapping crew would love to have your skill set.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
Your background is almost perfect for fracking crews. Schlumberger, Halliburton, Baker Hughes, Frac Tech would all be drooling over your resume. They want techncial people with hands on experience with large equipment. Don't waste your time with pushing to get a CDL job, when so much more is available to someone with your type ability. A geomapping crew would love to have your skill set.
Thank you for the insight! I will not skip over those jobs. Sent six apps into Halliburton and only got 4 rejections back! We shall see what happenend to the other dozen or so...

Old 04-04-2012, 10:04 AM

746 posts, read 1,729,908 times
Don't be discouraged if a compamy like Halliburton sends you a rejection - they are often looking for experienced oil field people that they know can hack the oil field environment. They also provide a lot of training and do not want to waste that training.

To get a frac tech job, a smaller company might be best if you don't have any oil field experience. Try Oasis Petroleum (which is starting their own frac tech serviceK, or Frac Tech (part of Cheasepeake) or Complete PRODUCTION Services or a host of other smaller companies. Look on the jobsnd.com website for jobsthat need technical backgrounds.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:12 AM

192 posts, read 497,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio125 View Post
You seem to have more qualifications than most who come up here.
Purduecrew.....I'm Quoting myself...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota