Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 AM

98 posts, read 341,528 times

Advertisements

Oil patch is when it gets cold again and people quit like they always do....im posting this from last week of cdl class hazmat and twic done Test should be a breeze im getting a ton of road time and and about 30 times each daily on alley dock and parallel parking, im 1 on 1 with an instructor all day. Whats the next skill should i try?I found a affordable pipe welding class. Im on waiting list for ohsa forklift cert. Any skills that would help me land a rig job when the freeze comes im all ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 11:22 AM

24 posts, read 103,792 times
Good idea on the pipe welding, I am looking around today for pipe welding class, I hope i can find a cheap and expedient class.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:57 AM

454 posts, read 940,484 times
Quote:

"so the next time i can 100% count on entry level hiring for the patch"

Personally, I don't think there is anything anyone can do to guarantee 100% that what they do now will get them a job when they get to the oil patch. There are alot of factors involved and every case is different.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:10 AM

Boy thats the truth im just thinking if ND gets its usual winter people will drop out and i maybe able to slide in....I could be wrong.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:30 AM

Ok CDL A hazmat,dbl/trp,tanker (x) in hand, T.w.i.c. Card in hand , ohsa forklift cert in hand (Thank You Elk Hunter for your help .... locals or guys and gals up in north dakota is it as bad as it looks on the patch hiring slowdown? Its time for me to start pounding the pavement do my oil patch tour.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:22 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
IMO You have hedged your bets nicely. I wouldn't count on 100% there is no such guarantee in any profession.

I do think that competing for the positions that are hiring, which apparently may/may not have slowed is explained by the road restrictions. Doesn't matter whether you are a driving or not, less product moving, less rig moves etc. Rickydink explained it yesterday nicely.

Also there are companies opting w/ multi-pad locations....I read that they are attempting to put from 6-12 rigs on one location area. From what I gather, this will save a lot of man labor hours, thus make their investment more cost effective. If I can find that article I'll post it.

So, it all comes down to right place, right time. Also, I think the folks that are more diverse in their job search will benefit. Not all oil related jobs involve throwing chains, or running pipe. Not all driving jobs involve driving all day.

Be aware of all your transferable skills. Sit down and write down everything you know how to do,...no matter how insignificant you feel it is... everything you've learned at any job you've had, even life experiences....we constantly learn. Also write all your skills that involve the non-physical, your knowledge....computer skills, draftman skills, logistics, web page, anything techie, math, geometry....bla.bla...bla.

Most people do not realize how many skills they have learned over their life time, and don't consider them valuable. Even young people, this is not learning that always comes w/ age. That is the biggest mistake some folks make imo. They don't recognize their own worth, their own skills....there are many skills that no one gives us a certificate or a paycheck for. Identify those.
Use the talents, the tools you have. Add skills you recognize would benefit you, as Headed2NorthDakota has done.

I caution folks from spending money they don't have, many companies pay for the safety training etc. They want you trained their way, their rules.

If you can afford a trip to the area, it is always the best way to get a true sense of whether or not a person can deal w/ the living conditions, find housing etc. A big picture is essential.

Just getting a job is only a part of this, living there, being able to handle in many cases the grueling hours and conditions after you sign a contract is essential.

Obviously there are people waiting in the wings, so the competition does not end after you are hired. Be the person that can come to work on the fly if called on days off. Be the one doing anything extra on site, when others play hearts in the dog house. I hope you find that job you're seeking, all the best.

Last edited by JanND; 04-14-2012 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: spacing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota