Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:51 PM

112 posts, read 316,546 times

Advertisements

Just wondering who out there had made a switch from looking for Entry level oilfield work in ND to TX? I know for me it just seemed impossible to make it work in ND without experience or any where to live. I know many were able to secure work by applying online and some made the sacrifice, braved the cold and slept in their cars/trucks until they secured work. Being from North AL, I just found it hard to take that 2000 mile trip on a hope and a prayer so I switched my efforts to the TX area.

I attended a couple of job fairs in Jan and soon realized I HAD to get my CDL. So I went back home, attended school, graduated with my CDL and all endorsements. Now I am back on the road looking again in TX. There is quite a bit of competition and many driving jobs are requiring one to two years driving experience. That being said there are some companies out there still hiring newbies if you want to drive... I am more interested in the Equipment Operator jobs that still require a CDL but are more lenient on actual driving experience, but still difficult to find.

I did attend a couple more job fairs in South TX and wondered if anyone else out there attended the open house put on by Self Opportunity for Chesapeake's Performance Technologies? ...Or if you have previously attended one of their earlier job fairs, what was the process if you were offered a position by the hiring manager and took drug test that day.

Don't want to get ahead of myself, so I am going to continue to apply but hopefully I have finally found work. Love to hear from anyone else out there with their experiences or opinions of Chesapeake.

Will update as information becomes available!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 06:25 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
There was a gal on here almost 2 mths ago, they started looking in N.D. but switched to TX. Her nick is Gayla66 She would probably answer questions. Her hubby was driving truck, lots better housing situation there. The trade offs were not even comparable, costs to live there compared to N.D.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:10 PM

941 posts, read 1,915,401 times
Do you go on forum Truckers Report? They have a lot of people who choose to search in TX instead and seem to find work easy with only a CDL. The best part from what I read also is they pay cheap rent.
Also I hope is ok to say this but a member here if you remember his name is JaxTellar, he is now working in TX. He chose TX instead for reason he has family there and closer to his family in Mexico. He is making good money and works a lot of hours.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:13 PM

I seriously am trying to convince my hubby in switching to look there , but like you said a CDL is pretty mandatory there. The only thing he doesn't like though is the thought of the heat in summer, LOL...

Old 03-19-2012, 06:03 AM

Thanks for all the info! I wondered what ever happened to JaxTeller, will have to go back and look at his updates.

laina1980, yes I joined the truckers report a few weeks ago once I was close to finishing truck driving school. They also have some really good information and do have more about the TX area. I had looked there previously but without a CDL it did not seem relative, but now it is much more helpful.

Seems no matter what part of the country you go to find the oilfield jobs there are some type of weather extremes you will have to deal with. I am not real crazy about the heat either but had lived in Houston, Dallas as well as a year in Phoenix AZ so I have been in the heat before.

Will keep y'all updated on any news!

Old 03-20-2012, 06:02 PM

192 posts, read 497,448 times
A friend of mine and I went to Job Fair today and recruiter told him "I need you right now in TX. Can you leave by Thursday"

Of course the answer was "YUUUUP"

He's a CDL-A Crude Hauler with 20+ years so... we were thinking maybe they are having a brain drain down there as people run up here?

He's waiting his call back for the pee test and he's off like a prom.......

Old 03-21-2012, 07:17 AM

scorpio125,

Do you know which job fair or what company he talked to? I went to one in Fort Worth and talked to Trican recruiter, he also indicated they were hiring like crazy for TX. He took my app and talked to me a good while, said they had no problem hiring newbies and they were looking for CDL's, I was looking at the Equipment Operator's position. But with all the flooding that was going on yesterday, the rest of their crew had not showed up and he was not sure if they would make it in. So he said they would probably be calling but again... not going to hold my breath. I have heard they were a good company but not sure of what kind of deal they are offering.

I am sure with your buddy having 20+ yrs experience hauling Crude, he is in high demand. Keep us updated!

Old 03-21-2012, 10:24 AM

Excuse me for not catching the fact that you also went to the job fair, guess I really need to slow down when reading. I would still love to know the details and were you able to find anything?

Old 03-22-2012, 05:42 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoND2work View Post
Thanks for all the info! I wondered what ever happened to JaxTeller, will have to go back and look at his updates.

laina1980, yes I joined the truckers report a few weeks ago once I was close to finishing truck driving school. They also have some really good information and do have more about the TX area. I had looked there previously but without a CDL it did not seem relative, but now it is much more helpful.

Seems no matter what part of the country you go to find the oilfield jobs there are some type of weather extremes you will have to deal with. I am not real crazy about the heat either but had lived in Houston, Dallas as well as a year in Phoenix AZ so I have been in the heat before.

Will keep y'all updated on any news!
Yep, JaxTeller, & SoCalsFinest????

Old 03-22-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Yep, JaxTeller, & SoCalsFinest????
Ya I wonder if socal is still working in mancamp???? Yes JaxTellar is working in oilfield in TX, not sure what area, but he said works a ton of hours and makes good hourly. He had completed his CDL. He chose also as his rent is cheap and has family there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota