Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 06:30 PM

10 posts, read 13,291 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm currently an unemployed veteran looking into relocating to ND to find a job/career. I need a bump in the right direction on how to go about this properly. I'm hearing good things about employment in ND but I don't have much savings so I can't mess around. What is the best way to find a job there before relocating? Are there any websites that have job openings specific to the area? Is it possible to literally drive there and find a job within a week like I've heard? My job in the military was a firefighter and I also worked in a restaurant while in high school before I joined. Other than that I don't have any other specific training or work experience. I'm in my early 20's, good health, can pass a background check and drug test, clean driving record. I'm open to anything, anywhere so not just oil field related stuff but anything works as long as it will allow me to pay the bills and build some savings. My long term goal would be to go back to college so I could get a better job in the future but right now I'm just looking for some work so I can build financial stability. Help me out please. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 07:13 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
So glad you decided to check out the N.D. forum....don't forget about checking Williston section of the N.D. forum also...maybe put a second thread up w/ your questions. As a Vet make sure you utilize any perks to securing a job.
I know the good folks on these forums will have some advice. Meanwhile check several of the links/threads and read some of the good advice already given in the N.D. or Williston sections.
Also, check other areas of N.D., such as Fargo, Grand Forks, Bismarck...several cities in N.D. have some great jobs, as well as colleges. Good luck to you.

Here are a few links specific to oil field jobs, some in varying locations.

A really interesting commentary on oil field work...Oil Field Employment – The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

Job websites
Oilfield Jobs | Job Service North Dakota

North Dakota Oil Job Listings Employment Opportunities in the Oil and Gas Industry in ND

Oil Field Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com

Oilfield Workers Registry - Oilfield Jobs - Oil and Gas Jobs - Free Job Postings

Oilfield Jobs Now

Old 10-18-2012, 07:18 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,456,355 times
I don't have any advice but just had to say best of luck to you!
It seems the midwest is the place to go for jobs these days.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:01 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,007,067 times
For some of the other jobs out there (just to see what is there) you can also check the following

Job service of ND website (lists by city/area)
Job Service North Dakota

Also other local job advertising sites...
Williston
The Shopper, Inc. - Williston, ND - Classifieds, Help Wanted, Real Estate and More!

Bismarck area
BisManOnline - Free Classifieds

Fargo-Grand Forks (Forum owned newspaper classifieds)
Search Results | JobsHQ

Minot area
Minot Jobs - Find job openings and listings in the Minot ND area

These are by all means not the only ones you can check.

It all depends on what you want to do. For oil related info the Williston section is very very helpful. The days of getting 100k jobs right off the bat with no experience may be dwindling...but good jobs with training can be had. Especially CDL jobs state-wide, construction and any trade jobs statewide (A/C, furnance repair, car mechanic, plumber, electrician, you name it all are in very high demand).

Be aware that housing is still quite hard in the oil patch to find and quite high in prices. Overall of the bigger ND cities... Fargo is the the largest metro area and the cheapest cost of living for gas/food/rent. Grand Forks and Bismarck are close to the same....with Bismarck growing pretty fast and Grand Forks growing but a bit slower.

Good luck
Dan

Old 10-18-2012, 02:54 PM

231 posts, read 873,327 times
There are lots of service and labor jobs in the Fargo area. If you find one and don't like it, you can find another one in a hurry. There are some people who come here to simply do Labor Ready jobs every day and never miss a day of work.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:29 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,668,043 times
I can give you a name to a company who is hiring, bad part is they are not based in ND, you have to go to a interview in person at their main office, so that could be a problem. The work is in ND on the fields.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:56 PM

37 posts, read 63,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitcount View Post
Hi I'm currently an unemployed veteran looking into relocating to ND to find a job/career. I need a bump in the right direction on how to go about this properly. I'm hearing good things about employment in ND but I don't have much savings so I can't mess around. What is the best way to find a job there before relocating? Are there any websites that have job openings specific to the area? Is it possible to literally drive there and find a job within a week like I've heard? My job in the military was a firefighter and I also worked in a restaurant while in high school before I joined. Other than that I don't have any other specific training or work experience. I'm in my early 20's, good health, can pass a background check and drug test, clean driving record. I'm open to anything, anywhere so not just oil field related stuff but anything works as long as it will allow me to pay the bills and build some savings. My long term goal would be to go back to college so I could get a better job in the future but right now I'm just looking for some work so I can build financial stability. Help me out please. Thanks.
Any updates?

Old 11-10-2012, 07:11 PM

60 posts, read 156,861 times
I think your status as a veteran gives you an edge. Employers have slowed thier hiring as they are concerned about the long term impact of another Obama administration. I would recommend having some savings and enough money to get you here and back home. Apply in person and be available for on the spot interviews. Housing will be your number one issue. And as a Navy retiree I thank you for your service to our nation. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:43 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,219,009 times
So the fact that there are bigger profit margins on Eagle Ford and Oklahoma plays isn't making a difference? Bakken drilling isn't going away but it probably is going to be a dull roar for 2013 compared to 2011.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:55 PM

114 posts, read 355,629 times
flyingcat2k:

Dumb question, but why are the profit margins better @ Eagle Ford and OK? Just curious
and didn't know. Thanks for your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota