Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 08:15 AM

3 posts, read 13,928 times

Advertisements

What is going on with the housing prices in Minot and the surrounding areas? Since I moved away 3 years ago housing prices have gone up at least $50,000 if not more. Why are folks getting so greedy and trying to sell houses for so much money. For an average newer home your looking at around 225,000 -250,000. Wages in Minot can't support those kind of prices. I'm looking at moving back there but prices are more expensive than they are here in Florida, and you make less money in N.D. to boot. That's crazy. I'll have to look for some land but that is scarce and way overpriced it seems also. What is everyones opinion on this? Homeowners need to come back to reality as well as the realtors. Prices are going to have to come down or else what happens around the rest of the country is going to happen in Minot. What do you locals say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 09:42 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,108 times
There is some oil activity, but mostly preparation for the 1,000 plus new jobs at the Minot Air Force Base. With these new jobs, there will probably be an influx of 2,000 or more people into the Minot area if spouses, families follow. Oil has slown down a little, but will probably be picking back up again. Minot is benefiting some from the oil boom going on in western ND, plus air force base, plus support for the new people at the retail level...housing is hard to come by.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:47 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,483 times
It's the Air Force. This happens to small air force towns. Income gap between military and non-military employment is great so the market is bubbled in to military transients..i.e. if the outgoing personnel didn't have the guarantee that another dupe is coming in to replace him then him/her would be royally screwed as the non-military employment base DOES NOT support the kind of prices these properties are listed for. It's a lose-lose for the permanent community, outside the tax base of course. Even with said 'guarantee', I know personally many folks who get PCSed and are unable to find buyers and end up sweating a mortgage on a 200K property...in Minot ND! People are incredulous as to how somebody could have such a noose in such an unusual RE market, but that's the reason. So they come down here for their next PCS and looking for people who are about to PCS to Minot to buy their house sight unseen.

Don't get me wrong, Minot AFB is great for the tax base of the town, God know the town wouldn't be a fraction of itself without it (sorry don't shoot the messenger), but I don't think it helps out the community housing wise, as non-military members are priced out of their own community.

Also, beware of this expansion, this is not the first time Air Force leadership creates flux among communities. There are dozens of examples of former SAC bases all over this nation that if you were to visit today you'd see the abandoned remains of what used to be a booming air force town. Minot had a proposed expanded squadron in the 90s and it fell through, this one will probably stick but it could very easily flux again in a decade's time, making your 200K minot mcmansions drop like a rock overnight. Look at Enid, OK as a prime example of real estate dynamics similar to minot, it's not win win.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:04 AM

177 posts, read 687,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn900 View Post
Why are folks getting so greedy and trying to sell houses for so much money. That's crazy.
Good grief man, it's what the market prevails, it's not greed!

Are you going to tell me that if you owned a home there right now you would sell it for $50,000 less than what the market says it is, get real!

If your looking for a house in Florida now a days, they're some that are $200,000 less than a year ago, most are in foreclosure and they can't give them away!

My parents bought their first home for $13,000 in '66, why isn't the price the same today?

It's all relative!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:51 AM

431 posts, read 1,605,968 times
Hello shawn900,
The main reason for housing prices is due to demand and supply. During 2008, with the influx of oil people, companies, military, and local business expansion, supply of homes dropped down at one point to 100 homes. When supply is low and demand is up, prices rise. In 2009, I predict that with the new construction that is planned, the home prices should stabilize, but I wouldn't count on them going down much. If you are planning to move to Minot, the best time is right after Christmas, when the prices tend to drop some. This Spring, the prices will move up a little, as more people are out looking for upgrades.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 7,113 times
What about the slum lord rental agencies. Its depressing to think that a shack built in the 1920s that I could probably kick over is renting for the same as a mortgage payment on a new house That in any other part of the country I could afford. The prices go up but it doesn't mean you get what you pay for. It's still Minot.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:15 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Interesting about the home prices in the Williston and Minot areas. Average price wise they are I believe the highest in the state just passing Bismarck and Grand Forks.

Reminds me some of Ft McMurray Alberta and the oil sands there and their huge boom over the last 10-15 years. Average wages there are around 90-100K CDN but a check of average home prices in August 2010 indicate average single family home prices of $686,000 CDN or about $650k US. 1 BR apartments go for about 1600-1800 CDN per month.

Ft McMurray is pretty isolated up in northeast Alberta with little available land for housing as it is mostly government-provincial owned land. But goes to show where there is a boom prices are sure to follow.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:00 PM

246 posts, read 1,007,054 times
its priced at what people think you will pay. No different than when it was cheaper years ago. For prices to come down, people just need to stop paying what is being asked. Unfortunately for you or anyone else trying to buy in the market there now, there are other people willing to pay the price since they have the money to buy it with.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:12 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
its priced at what people think you will pay. No different than when it was cheaper years ago. For prices to come down, people just need to stop paying what is being asked. Unfortunately for you or anyone else trying to buy in the market there now, there are other people willing to pay the price since they have the money to buy it with.
My in-laws has a house on some land about 15 miles south-southwest of Minot near Douglas. The did the majority of the wort themselves as they are highly skilled in that work, and did their house for 90k in 1999. Today it was appraised at 250k (land included).

Old 09-23-2010, 08:03 AM

431 posts, read 1,605,968 times
Good news for everyone. I know of a company moving to Minot hoping to build and sell new homes priced under the $200k range. If that is so, that will help bring home sales to a larger amount of buyers. They should start breaking ground in the next month or so. One of the biggest price drivers is the skilled workman in our area. We do have a shortage and they can demand just about any price. My furnace broke down and when I called around, it would be 10 days or more before anyone could look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota