Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,636 times

Advertisements

I am a resident of Minot and this is my hometown. I AM MOVING as fast as I can to another State. I am telling you not to move here - it is not a good town for you or your family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 09:19 AM

559 posts, read 1,466,379 times
Yes I am also wondering why Minot? I lived there for as long as I could (two years) and it was terrible. My husband still lives there (Air Force) and I visit every once in awhile but I prefer he visit me in Dallas. I had to move due to licensing issues so I moved back home with my family. Ok so you don't like big towns. That's great because there is nothing that resembles what I consider a big town anywhere in North Dakota. And you don't like going out, that's great, because for almost 9 months of the year it's too dang cold to go out and do anything. Besides, in Minot, there's not a whole lot to do anyway. As for the jobs, well, yes SOME jobs are very available, while others are not. It took me 8 months to get a job once and almost a year to get another one. They don't really have anything for educated college people unless you want to teach. I don't know your background but more than likely, your best bet for a job is secretarial work. Not a whole lot of options. If you dont' like to travel anywhere, that's great, too, because plane tickets are outrageous and there's nowhere to really visit if you wanna drive, except a 6-7 hour trip to Winnipeg, Canada, which I guess if you don't like big cities you won't want to go there.

As for buying/renting a house I have never seen a small town like Minot charge such OUTRAGEOUS prices for renting. I looked into buying a house, and that was before the flood wiped out a lot of house, and it was okay but you aren't going to get anything great for cheap. You can get down town Los Angeles apartments for cheaper than you can get an apartment in Minot. And for some reason Minot just hates for people to own pets...I have never lived anywhere where you could not have a pet in a rental house or apartment, that is just super strange to me.
As for traffic, there is some traffic mostly because there is one major highway that goes north and south in Minot and pretty much that is the only thing to take to get anywhere, unless you can get there by taking the bypass.
In the winter there is almost always ice and snow on the ground but I didn't have a problem driving in it, never slid anywhere, never got stuck, and I grew up in Texas so as long as you are careful, you should be fine. Hope you like blizzards and winter storms! It is very VERY different from California. I find California to be a very beautiful scenic place with great weather, lots to do, and plenty of small towns away from the big cities. But it's not for everyone I guess. And neither is Minot.

So, if you like small towns with really nothing nearby and not a whole to do and nowhere to really travel to that is pretty pricy to live in and you might have difficulty finding a job...then Minot is a great place! So it does have some of the things you are looking for. Good luck.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:55 PM

25,756 posts, read 18,818,821 times
It seems that to avoid the "growing pains" in ND, the northeastern region of the state might be a good choice as well. Grand Forks and north, and Devil's Lake and east. If you want even smaller, Park River, Grafton, Cavalier, or Langdon perhaps? The whole area seems nice and laid back--much less hectic than the western side of the state with the boomtowns, or the larger metro areas of Grand Forks or Fargo.

I've been in the "process of moving" to the Park River area for a number of years. I have some land their and will build my own small home/cabin. I will eventually get there, and I will definitely cherish the slower pace of life and being far, far, far away from the hustle and bustle of big cities and "boom" areas (I'm in one now, and I hate it).

Whenever someone says (of an area) "there's nothing to do there," my ears perk up. Exactly what I want. That's what attracted me to that area ND several years ago and still attracts me. I'm self-contained and anything I "do," I don't really need any particular social structure to do. The things I really like to do take me to wide-open, low-population-density places like northeastern North Dakota. Far from the city life and "things to do" (and consequences of having those things) that go along with it...

Enjoy ND!

Old 08-07-2013, 06:42 AM

75 posts, read 162,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelsFan View Post

As far as Minot, I would rather buy I just dont want to buy a house without knowing the area. We would rather buy a home on a couple acres if possible.
If you are new to any area, rent for at least 6-12 mos before buying to learn the area. I have been in Minot since last Oct and have been renting and learning the area. It is a great, rural place to live.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,182 times
hi im going to move to minot nd could you please tell me what towns or city are near minot thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota