Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2013, 06:44 PM

3 posts, read 9,075 times

Advertisements

I am a 58 year old single(NO PETS!!! :-))Gay Jewish Guy who has been living in Huntsville, ALA for the past 34 years....WAAAAAAAAY TO HOT Temperature and Politcally
My Banjo and my Knee are READY to MOVE
This summer I drove 3600 miles to Winnipeg and back and decided the time was 2014 to move.
I am a Purchasing Manager for a small Electronic Contract Manufacturer(I purchase Electronic Components and related items). I toured Digikey, with whom I have had a close bond with since 2000.
I AM READY to MOVE!!!
My confusion is Grand Forks or Thief River Falls, North Dakota or Minnesota..
I LOVE the shuttle!!!! :-)
Which State is cheaper??? Income, Property, Sales Taxes, Car Tags, Insurance(Home and Auto)?
I look forward to ALL and ANY input that would assist me.
I did grow up in Philadelphia, PA and then Boston, so I do remember shoveling and cold.....

And believe it or not it snows and Ice Storms are common here!!!!
I am ALWAYS the first to shovel mine and our TEMPLES drive and walkways.....
Snow and Ice are the SAFEST times to drive here... NO ONE ELSE on the roads!!! :-)
I would only need a 2 bed/2bath home or condo BUTT as other Southerners here have said MUST have a two or more heated garage! :-) I have three vehicles......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 07:57 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyallen55 View Post
I am a 58 year old single(NO PETS!!! :-))Gay Jewish Guy who has been living in Huntsville, ALA for the past 34 years....WAAAAAAAAY TO HOT Temperature and Politcally
My Banjo and my Knee are READY to MOVE
This summer I drove 3600 miles to Winnipeg and back and decided the time was 2014 to move.
I am a Purchasing Manager for a small Electronic Contract Manufacturer(I purchase Electronic Components and related items). I toured Digikey, with whom I have had a close bond with since 2000.
I AM READY to MOVE!!!
My confusion is Grand Forks or Thief River Falls, North Dakota or Minnesota..
I LOVE the shuttle!!!! :-)
Which State is cheaper??? Income, Property, Sales Taxes, Car Tags, Insurance(Home and Auto)?
I look forward to ALL and ANY input that would assist me.
I did grow up in Philadelphia, PA and then Boston, so I do remember shoveling and cold.....

And believe it or not it snows and Ice Storms are common here!!!!
I am ALWAYS the first to shovel mine and our TEMPLES drive and walkways.....
Snow and Ice are the SAFEST times to drive here... NO ONE ELSE on the roads!!! :-)
I would only need a 2 bed/2bath home or condo BUTT as other Southerners here have said MUST have a two or more heated garage! :-) I have three vehicles......
I live in East Grand Forks Minnesota.... Digi-Key is a great place it seems and continues to grow and yes their shuttle service from GF, EGF and Crookston to TRF is very nice. Thief River Falls housing is very very tight and has been for years, esp the rental market. But I have only been to TRF a few times over the years so not quite familiar with prices, etc there.

For the GF-EGF area....which side to live on just depends. EGF is a small town, like a small suburb if you will. Shopping is done in Grand Forks. Same can be said for TRF, as there is no Walmart, Target or the like there and most travel to GF for major shopping. Driving btwn TRF and GF-EGF can be a bit dicey in the winter as the roads are all 2 lane and mostly in open country as TRF sits just on the eastern edge of the red river valley. Thus travel to and from TRF can be tricky due to blowing snow issues.

I would talk with Digi-Key to see how they handle situations when employers who live outside of town and take the bus cannot make it home. Do they have accomodations for those few times or what are the expectations in bad weather.

North Dakota has cheaper car tags for sure, and a much lower income tax. Minnesota has a higher income tax but lower property taxes....though there has been many moves in ND to lower the rate and use some oil money to lower property taxes. In Grand Forks. property tax is roughly around 2 percent of the assessed value....give or take. in EGF it is closer to 1 pct. For car insurance purposes, I am not aware of major differences. I lived in ND as well and moved across the river and didnt notice any real change.

Grand Forks does have housing options and more shopping and other activities associated with UND. GF/TRF areas are huge hockey towns.

Now for housing in GF....lots of folks on this forum who move here want to find a single family housing rental.....but that is tough to find. The area here as always been a rental apartment place but you buy a house. There are newer apartment rentals with garages available, with nearly 1000 units added in the last year alone and another 1000 units to come on line in 2014. For townhomes/condos....those are a nice option but you generally buy them.... though there is one rental towhnhome community on the south end called Times Square Townhomes managed by Hampton Management. I suggest googling that info on the web to check any openings. They come with 2 car garages. There are scattered 2 BR/2BA duplexes for rent around town at times. but availability can be variable. I suggest buying a place if you know you will be here a while....as the housing market has been very brisk in the last 2 years.

Housing prices in the local GF area kind be high compared to southern states. Newer 2BR/2BA townhomes with garages would run around 200-240k but can find some nice older ones for the mid 150s-170s.

Check out Greenberg Realty or Crary realty for MLS listings to get an idea. They also service TRF areas too and you can check their sites for links to the area MLS page that includes small towns in the area in ND and MN.

I would be happy to answer any ? you have. I enjoy helping folks out.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:24 PM

You mentioned you are Jewish.

There is one synagogue I know of in GF.... B'nai Israel - Grand Forks, North Dakota

At my work, we did have a Jewish couple from the East Coast who lived in GF for several years before moving on in his career. They enjoyed it here
and fit in very well.

I dont believe there is one in TRF or any other surrounding towns.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 9,075 times
I will be coming to your area after selling Real Estate here..... No later then next September
Your response has been VERY helpful......
I do plan on purchasing a home.....
Condo would be GREAT due to my lack of any further interest in Mowing and or maintaining a lawn. My neighbors dislike me due to my expression "Brown Grass Don't Grow fast", however mowing grass up there would be a four month deal as opposed to an eight or nine month deal... I would not mind downsizing to a 2 Bed small older home for sure. I am spoiled here as all I need outside of work is within 3 miles of my home..
That and THE TEMPLE being in GF is my reason for GF or EGF over TRF, however the 52 miles would be quite a haul in bad weather, for sure.......

Old 10-06-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyallen55 View Post
I will be coming to your area after selling Real Estate here..... No later then next September
Your response has been VERY helpful......
I do plan on purchasing a home.....
Condo would be GREAT due to my lack of any further interest in Mowing and or maintaining a lawn. My neighbors dislike me due to my expression "Brown Grass Don't Grow fast", however mowing grass up there would be a four month deal as opposed to an eight or nine month deal... I would not mind downsizing to a 2 Bed small older home for sure. I am spoiled here as all I need outside of work is within 3 miles of my home..
That and THE TEMPLE being in GF is my reason for GF or EGF over TRF, however the 52 miles would be quite a haul in bad weather, for sure.......
Glad to help.... if you dont mind me asking what general price range would you be looking for.

My usual first mow of our lawn is most often the first half of May (though can depend greatly) through early to mid October...though again depends obviously how much you want to mow and how many trees are on your property and if you want to collect leaves off the ground before winter.

Condo's here usually means all in one building.... thus you probably will not have a yard period.... Now townhomes some complexes have association dues for mowing....but you do have a small yard and a patio/deck.

BTW I am not a realtor or associated with any realtor at all, I am a weather forecaster but just have an interest in that field.

Dan

Old 10-06-2013, 09:50 PM

746 posts, read 1,729,213 times
DigiKey started a daily bus service between TRF and GF. An important piece of information before buying property. Also, makes the commute more manageable.

Ride Our Bus To A Great Career Opportunity | Digi-Key Corporation Careers | Career Center | Digi-Key
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota