Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 01:20 AM

2 posts, read 4,320 times

Advertisements

Currently living in IL and in this area we have next no jobs. Long story short, I'm not cut out for college although i have good grades it's practically killing me, and i need to leave my parent's home.

Ok, question time:
Which town(s) are the best in terms of employment? I've been lurking for about 2 hours reading up and i've seen that Williston is about tapped out for any Oil jobs and that's fine by me. I was looking at Fargo and noticed quite a few construction companies hiring general laborers, my question is what's the starting pay on average?

Also, what's the housing costs like in Fargo? I know Williston is through the roof or non existent.

My general plan in moving to ND is to pretty much get a job of any kind but preferably Manual labor that pays well, hence looking towards construction, and that i have some experience in it. Planning to get a job and keep hammering the Oil/Gas companies with application until i get lucky, is there any advice you have? Any companies to stay away from when it comes to construction etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 07:06 AM

431 posts, read 1,605,418 times
There are jobs throughout most of North Dakota. First go to Job Service North Dakota to start looking. Before you leave college, secure a job and place to live. With the energy boom, housing has been tight. In Minot, we have a lot of job openings, most require a college degree, but there are some manual labor for construction, and a lot of CDL drivers needed. If you are in doubt about what you want out of life right now, maybe getting out on your own will give you that direction. Also, consider the Guard, as that will give you some income as you figure out your future.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,320 times
Thank ya', for the advice! Suppose i may get my CDL this summer then just as a backup plan. I also heard that there's a lot more college students than there are jobs requiring degrees there? Seems to be a trend i've seen on this forum and i'm not sure whether it's exaggerated or not.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:57 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageNerdz View Post
Thank ya', for the advice! Suppose i may get my CDL this summer then just as a backup plan. I also heard that there's a lot more college students than there are jobs requiring degrees there? Seems to be a trend i've seen on this forum and i'm not sure whether it's exaggerated or not.
Degree that are in demand like engineering, science, finance, or the medical field are always in demand. But education, social work, criminal justice are also in demand, but they don't pay much.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:24 AM

93 posts, read 169,626 times
I think every single retail business in Grand Forks is looking to hire. You can't shop at Walmart without being accosted: Would you be interested in applying for a job with us? They're opening a second store in town and are apparently low on help right now.

There are jobs. But as others have said, the biggest hurdle is finding a place to live. Which is no small issue. If you can figure that out, then do come!

Old 04-09-2014, 02:38 PM

16 posts, read 28,159 times
Anywhere in the state is good for employment... housing is the bigger consideration. Cities like Williston, Minot, Dickinson, and everywhere in between are facing a big housing crunch with prices souring. In fact, Williston just topped New York apartment prices. The further east you go, the lower the living expenses. Bismarck is a good all-round city... on the edge of the oil boom, but less impacted as Williston, Minot, etc.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:52 PM

360 posts, read 811,702 times
I would suggest:
  1. Getting your CDL before you go - It's easier to get a CDL and then transfer it than it is to get an initial one. Having aclean CDL will move you up the list of candidates.
  2. Consider the Twin Cities or South Dalota before you got North Dakota - Both areas are near to or border ND and you can drive up on your days off and scope out the area(s).
  3. Have a plan and a backup plan - If your main plan (or plans) fall through, have one or more backup plans. A lot of people are going to ND and most are semi-skilled or unskilled. Without a skill, you are going to face a lot of competition. Get skill or two and then make the move.
  4. Before you move,if you can afford to, visit the area - It is probably very different from you live currently and many people are unable to get used to that. There aren't many women and , if you are gay for instance, you probably won't find it to be too welcoming either.Pick a town, stay for a week or so and drive around. If you like it,cool. If you don't, then you haven't lost that much and you can look elsewhere.

I was up there in 3 years ago for about 6 months. It paid well, but there wasn't much to do in the Williston area (NW ND) so I drove to Bismarck and cities in Canada when I was off. I may go back again later this year; but if I do, I would only live in Bismarck,Grand Forks or Fargo.

The other areas of the state are too small and too isolated for my tastes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota