Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 05:33 PM

103 posts, read 198,306 times

Advertisements

Ive been here in Minot for just about a year now and its taken me some time to navigate the employment opportunities. I have done mostly retail, but I have other skills. Im really not suited for indoor or women type jobs. I was thinking about trying to apply for some underground utilities locater position, or something in that area. What I really want do dispatching. I did several years dispatching for a towing company back home. Im open to just about anything. the retail job I have here is ok, but I really can here to make a bit more and try a different line of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 08:22 AM

431 posts, read 1,606,384 times
Go for it! I see women all over in the oil fields, construction, and many other jobs that were male dominated. If you want dispatching, have you considered the City of Minot police dispatching? Magnum Trucks could be a possibility. Only you is is what is holding you back.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:10 PM

33 posts, read 35,461 times
Honey (don't take offense, I'm southern), do what you want to do! Go for it

You sound like me. My favorite job was with a seating company here in TN. I was so grateful when they took me straight to the area the men were working in, lol! I was very prepared to tell them "No", in no uncertain terms, had they of tried sticking me in the section where the women were sewing.

I was the only woman in that side of the building with the men. I ran very large saws, sanded, grinding, and worked with the bending machines and spot welding with the machines. You see, I worked with steel pipes And I LOVED it! I enjoy working with machines. I also grew up with boys as I am the oldest out of 5. I raised two of my brothers. I hated all the girly stuff honestly.

My point being, we all have to pursue our dreams. I know I don't have much strength myself, but my determination and will to do my job is important. So, we are very much alike in our joys of working in a male dominated field Retail...I wouldn't be happy doing that either

Good luck and blessings be with you every step of the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
View detailed profiles of: