Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2014, 02:49 AM

2 posts, read 8,077 times

Advertisements

I will soon be temporarily (1year) transferred to an office in Bismarck, ND and was wondering if there are any good hair salons for African American women in the area.

Google & Yelp don't bring up any promising results, so I'd really appreciate good contacts on this.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 10:57 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,910 times
Call some hair stylists in Bismarck. They can probably refer you to someone. But there is probably not a hair salon that caters to African-Americans, because there simply isn't the demand.

If worse comes to worst, you can check Minot, which is about 80 miles away. Minot has had a much larger population of African-Americans for years because of the local air force base.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 8,077 times
Thanks, fourwinds!

Old 11-05-2014, 12:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,829 times
You didn't mention if you wore your hair natual, braided or with extentions. I moved to Bismarck with the prettiest box braids. I had spent a small fortune on them, but I loved the way they looked.
When the time came to get them re-done, I called around town to see if there was anyone who knew how to re-do them. Everyone wanted to give it a try. I mean, everyone! They were really interested in my hairstyle. I think they saw it as an opportunity to learn something new. I however, have seen what can happen to a hairline when braids are to tight, so I decided to take them out. A couple weeks later, I heard there was a young lady (originally from Jamaica) who worked checkout at our local Cashwise Foods. I ended up talking to her and, as my friend said, she does braiding on the side for a little extra money. This was months ago so I don't have a way to know if she is still there.

Extensions seem like something that is interchangeable. There is a spa on Broadway next to the Broadway Grill it is a brand new building, I think it corners on Mandan Street. I hear they do a great extention, the spa is very nice too.
As far as a haircut or a trim goes, I can't really say. I do know one thing, traveling to Minot, just for a hair cut - would be a huge pain in the butt. I would never do that!
Don't be shy, call around. Be quite forward and just ask,
" Do you have any Sisters working there? If not, is there anyone who has experience with AA hair?
We have a webite called bisman online. It provides free classified ad's and is very popular around here. You could submit a post asking for help finding a beautician who has experience. You could even post your favorite picture of yourself on your best hairday, so they can see what you want done.
I wish I had better information for you. This city is growing so fast, I'm sure you'll find something. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota