Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 12:56 PM

10 posts, read 9,967 times

Advertisements

Thinking of transferring out for bnsf, wondering what the forecast is for work out there and what the seniority looks like. Also, any details about bismarck would be great; cost of living, rent, groceries, night life, activities, etc. sorry about the vague questions, just tired of living in socal and i recently started exploring my options. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 02:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,377 times
What kind of work do you do for BNSF? They are pouring money into the state and have tons of local work with their maintenance crews. My dad and I pressure clean MOW equipment for BN and used to travel from ND to Georgia throughout the summers but there's so much work in ND right now there's no reason for more extensive travel; we basically stay in ND because there's so much activity.

If you're a 'go-getter' kind of guy there's always opportunity. Seniority is there but it's not what it used to be- crews aren't performing the way they used to (tie gangs, steel gangs, surfacing crews). The amount of time spent on the tracks for MOW equipment is extremely limited due to the amount of traffic.

I'd go for a smaller town like Devils Lake over Bismarck. Lower cost of living, plus if you're traveling 80-150 miles on their time, there's a lot more opportunity for outdoor activities like hunting, fishing, etc. when you're not working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota