Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:52 AM

90 posts, read 319,829 times

Advertisements

With the fact being that North Dakota has no professional sports teams, I was wondering what I will find on television when I arrive in terms of my favorite sports...

Do you guys get "regional coverage" of Minnesota Sports or it is more of a random offering?

What teams do you NoDaks cheer on in the...

NFL?

NBA?

MLB?

I'm a sports junkie so I had to ask!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 10:54 AM

37 posts, read 156,342 times
I live in Fargo, but grew up in Minnesota, So I am a Minnesota sports fan.
Sadly I have to say we have too many Green Bay Packer fans in this area.
We get all the Vikings games, and most of all the other Minnesota Pro sports teams in this area. It seems like we also get a lot of Denver Bronco games. The cable company here carries WGN out of Chicago so we get Cubs and some White Sox games and whatever channel covers Braves baseball, TNT?

Old 03-05-2008, 11:27 AM

108 posts, read 439,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampChomp1 View Post
With the fact being that North Dakota has no professional sports teams, I was wondering what I will find on television when I arrive in terms of my favorite sports...

Do you guys get "regional coverage" of Minnesota Sports or it is more of a random offering?

What teams do you NoDaks cheer on in the...

NFL?

NBA?

MLB?

I'm a sports junkie so I had to ask!

Thanks!
Actually ND has several pro teams, just not any teams in the Majors. Bismarck has the Dakota Wizzards who have won several NBA-D league championships, we also have the Bismarck Bobcats hockey, we used to have a baseball team, but they moved, and an indoor football team that went belly up. Yes Minnesota is the most watched and beloved teams in ND (rightly so of course) unfortunately like all places we have some disturbed people that root for teams they shouldn't like the packers. You also can usually get the UND hockey games which are usually a blast to watch, and they are almost always going deep into the playoffs. There are also a fair number of Bronco/Rockies fans as well as Bears/Cubs fans. Like most towns of any size you walk into a bar and you will see all kinds of jerseys like Cowboys, Steelers, and of course whoever won the last superbowl and the guys that claim to have been rooting that team for years. As far as NBA teams again probably mostly the T-wolves although since they traded away Garnett the support isn't as rabid. So as far as whats on TV the games for the most part will vary with the exception of getting Twins, T-Wolves and Wild games on Fox Sports Network. UND hockey comes on our info channel in Bismarck, and the Vikings are pretty much always shown on Sundays.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:06 PM

I'm moving from Tampa, FL. and I was raised by a single mom who brought me up on Dan Marino and Miami Dolphins football. I'm a huge Dolphins fan so I guess I'm going to have to get Direct TV if I want to see them on a regular basis (obviously I already knew that due to the region). I don't mind the Vikings as long as they're not playing my Phins!

We don't have an NBA team in Tampa and for some reason my two oldest sons like the T-Wolves already so I guess that works out well there. When they were very little they were enthralled by the Wolf logo and since have become fans. Odd, I know. I'm going to do my best to get behind them too. If I wanted to take my boys to the arena to catch the T-Wolves live how long a drive is it from Fargo to Minneapolis?

Before Tampa had a baseball team I grew up watching WGN and the Cubs. It's great to hear that WGN is carried up there! I won't lose my Cubs baseball then.

Please feel free to add anything else I should know! Thanks for the input.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:45 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampChomp1 View Post
I'm moving from Tampa, FL. and I was raised by a single mom who brought me up on Dan Marino and Miami Dolphins football. I'm a huge Dolphins fan so I guess I'm going to have to get Direct TV if I want to see them on a regular basis (obviously I already knew that due to the region). I don't mind the Vikings as long as they're not playing my Phins!

We don't have an NBA team in Tampa and for some reason my two oldest sons like the T-Wolves already so I guess that works out well there. When they were very little they were enthralled by the Wolf logo and since have become fans. Odd, I know. I'm going to do my best to get behind them too. If I wanted to take my boys to the arena to catch the T-Wolves live how long a drive is it from Fargo to Minneapolis?

Before Tampa had a baseball team I grew up watching WGN and the Cubs. It's great to hear that WGN is carried up there! I won't lose my Cubs baseball then.

Please feel free to add anything else I should know! Thanks for the input.

The drive from fargo to Minneapolis about 3 to the 3 1/2 hours depending on how fast you drive. It is all interstate so it is really a pretty easy drive as well.

Fargo also has a very popular minor league baseball team called the Redhawks and NDSU football is also in Fargo and is very popular. I think the school is trying to get most of their games on statewide tv so they should be easy to follow no matter where you are and if you can get tickets the games are a lot of fun. The team plays in a dome and the quality of football is very good. Here is a picture of the Fargodome...

Old 03-05-2008, 04:19 PM

Wow,

Thanks FargoBison that is a terrific pic! I definitely want to get involved in the local sports environment. I think that will be a great way to assimilate. Man I can't wait to get there!

Old 03-05-2008, 04:29 PM

Yeah, NDSU football is big wish we could get more games on TV here in Bismarck, we only get a couple a year, plus they put some of the U-Mary games on TV here too.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:52 PM

Silly question, but do both Bismarck and Fargo get the very same regional coverage of Minnesota sports? And does "Direct TV" market to both places?

Old 03-05-2008, 05:59 PM

I don't know why Direct TV wouldn't market any city or town, as far as regional coverage I would imagine they are pretty close, Fox sports has different regions they broadcast for so I am sure that is the same as Fargo, and as far as local stations they are just that - Local, so you will get some of the things that are the same like maybe a NDSU game in both Fargo and Bismarck, but I doubt if Fargo gets any U-Mary games on there local stations. Just as the local access channel has Bismarck and Burleigh county commission meetings, I doubt Fargo is going to put them on and I really don't want to see the Fargo or Cass county commission meeting broadcast here.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:46 PM

180 posts, read 634,913 times
I'd say 90% of NDers are Twins fans. The majority of people will also support the Minnesota teams in other sports but it won't be as pronounced.

There are also a a large number of people in ND (and Minnesota too) who's soul football affiliation is hatred of the Vikings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota