Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2008, 09:10 PM

497 posts, read 1,694,835 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am 20 year old college junior. My Major is Business Administration with a concentration in Human Resource Management and a minor in Psychology. I will be graduating in 2010 and I'm trying to plan ahead and try to figure out where I want settle down and start my life. I'm from Memphis, TN but I attend school in Evansville, IN. I've been considering places like California, Houston, Virginia and some more other places but then I saw the thread about North Dakota. I've always been curious about what its like to live in ND because you don't hear to much about it. But based on what I've read ND seems like a wonderful place to live. I want to work in Human Resources and would like to move somewhere where the people are friendly, a sense of family and community where people help each other. I'm also looking for somewhere where there is not alot of crime because I am from Memphis and are one of the most dangerous cities in the US. I want somewhere to raise a family when I start one. Just somewhere where I can live a happy peaceful life and not live in fear of crime. I also like outdoor activities like roller blading, bike riding, white water rafting, etc.If someone would give me some advice on what its like to live in ND that would be awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 09:41 PM

681 posts, read 2,879,537 times
Brit, I don't live in ND but I visited for a week last summer and stayed with some longtime residents... I can give you what I saw.

ND is free of many of the restrictions normally thrust upon residents of more populous states. For example, you don't have to get your vehicles inspected. Also, my wife and I shot off fireworks in a parking lot on July 4th and a cop drove past and didn't say a word. We ate dinner at a truck stop in Valley City one night and this old lady busted out a harmonica and started playing just for the fun of it... everyone watched as she played and cheered when she finished! I got talking with her group of people and informed them that we were PA natives on our honeymoon and we'd broken down... that's how we wound up in Valley City... a few minutes later a lady from that table came over and gave us money to help out with automotive repair expenses!

Although it took the mechanics three days to fix my car, they charged us nothing because they goofed up the first repair and felt bad for us. I can say this about ND- I saw a level of friendliness there which I'd never experienced before in my life. It is a gorgeous state if you like grassy plains and hills but can live without trees. It seems to have the world's largest collection of the world's largest things... everywhere we turned, there was an advertisement for the "World's Largest [something]".

The people we stayed with really loved it there... they had a huge farm where they grew mostly corn... certain areas are wonderfully isolated... but, unfortunately, that means a fifteen-mile drive just to get to a grocery store... and groceries are pretty darned expensive if you live in a remote area. They laughed about the severe winters... "yeah, sometimes it gets down to 40-below up here"... I couldn't handle that, personally, but if you like cold winters and hot summers, ND's weather may be for you. ND seemed very redneck and very much a trip back in time... were it not for the weather and the abundance of mosquitoes, I'd've probably moved there in a heartbeat rather than what I did, which was spend weeks researching places to live and eventually choosing Texas. Their highways are awesome... the speed limit is 75 but few people actually go that fast... and I never even saw a highway patrol car. It's a more relaxed life out in the Midwest, I think. The Midwest feeds the rest of the country... I don't let anyone knock 'em.

Like I said, if you want to live in a gorgeous conservative state surrounded by friendly people and unfettered by lots of ridiculous laws, and you own a bugzapper and you like some really frigid winter days, ND may be the best place you could go in the entire USA... at least in the opinion of one who has only spent one week of his life there.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:42 PM

109 posts, read 441,679 times
ND is a very friendly place to live, but if you want to really advance in your career you may want to consider Minneapolis. The people are very similar to North Dakotans, but they have a big city.

Most of what NWPAguy said is pretty true.
Fireworks are legal in some cities (not to sure, but I know they are in Mandan for sure) from July 1-5.
worlds biggest fiberglass cow - new salem
worlds biggest fiberglass buffalo - jamestown

The cities here feel like the nicer suburbs of Minneapolis which I have visited (Plymouth, Eden Prarie) and both Bismarck and Fargo are on Money Magazine's top 100 cities to live in in the US.

The people here are very nice usually, but it's a very blue collar state if you're going to try to get a job in business management/human resources. I'm not saying you can't, I'm just saying it'll be a bit of a struggle.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:25 AM

629 posts, read 902,278 times
If you like the feeling of being "out in middle of nowhere", ND might be for u. When u get out in them western states, it is very sparcely populated. If u like that kind of thing, ND might be for u. The winters are long and brutal there too. The thing that's different from the western states and eastern, is little towns. Out west, u leave a city, and its like u left earth or something. Some states are worse than others. Ive driven across every strech of interstate in America. Places like ND can feel almost spooky. But go for a visit and see. Minneapolis would defiently be a better choice. In fact, the only city I'd consider living in, that far west, unless u were talking about the west coast. Seattle, Portland, San Fran, etc.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:43 PM

268 posts, read 1,614,922 times
As a younger person, I'd check this thread I replied to earlier. The person seems to be in about the same situation you are.

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...th-dakota.html

Old 09-22-2008, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 19,876 times
Anyone out there looking to relocate to a nice small town, great small town school like sending your children to a private school only it is public. Riding to hearts content right from your driveway? Great jobs in the now famous
Bakken Oil Field that can bring you $1000/day to $3000~$5000 a month if you are a truck driver or laborer or can specialize in an oil field position. Other jobs like crazy 27 miles to Williston available. There is a shortage of workers for anything you can want here.
My farm is for sale $250,000. 3 bedroom, 3 bath, nice two story farm house with a yard to be proud of, master sweet with jacuuzi. Lots of corrals and set up to house at least 2 stallions, nice barn, garage/shop. Cost of living is affordable like no other area. Right by the Montana boarder. 3 hours from Canada. Tons of hunting here for trophy mule deer, white tail, even elk hunting, bird hunting. The best place for walleye fishing, paddle fish. Right by the Missouri River and Yellowstone River. Great riding in the badlands 30 minutes away as well as Theodore Roosevelt Park and famous Medora, ND an hour away. If you are itching for small town simplicity and wide open spaces here it is. Bring the horses and enjoy if you are looking for a change in life. This place is only on 3 acres but I manage nicely up to 15 horses here. Set up to handle it. Contact payden@ruggedwest.com

Old 02-11-2012, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 7,016 times
hi i am running restaurant business one of my friend told me to move to north decota but i need advice which city is good for my restaurant business i am running indian authentic food business
please advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota