Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 12:55 AM

21 posts, read 40,432 times

Advertisements

I am female and sick of being unemployed in Southern Calif. I have a friend in Watford City but would prefer to get my own place (even if its only a room) asap. I've read through all the forums and I wanted to find out the most current housing information available as i make my decision to head up there.

I'm a social worker by trade but with the budget crises and layoffs jobs are scarce.

Thought it would be interesting to participate in the boom town like my grandparents did during the depression in the 1930's. I figure I might as well make more than $9 while i wait for the economy to recover. The possibilities are endless.

So basically I'm looking for the latest update on the housing crisis specifically in the watford city, williston area..

thanks ahead of time. The people on this forum are great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 02:04 AM

746 posts, read 1,731,138 times
If you have a friend, that is the best option for housing. Housing is sky high in Watford City.

You'll get a job if you have housing, but likely won't get an ideal job until later. williston has more employment options, but the vast majority are outdoor and very physical. Watford City and Williston are woefully underdeveloped in retail and other services.

Watford City is growing like crazy, but likely more civil than Williston just because it is smaller.

Bismarck, Fargo, and Grand Forks all have lots of jobs with apartments available. (Bismarck might be difficult for housing.) Check jobsnd.com .

Old 07-10-2012, 02:28 AM

My friend lives in a travel trailer, so i'd be on the sofa. I'm not sure how good of condition it is in either, so i'm expecting the worst. Is it even possible to secure housing before arriving? I'm totally willing to rent a room, just not sure where to look for ads renting rooms or any housing that's legit.

Thanks for the link jobsnd.com. checking that out as soon as i post this.

Thank you for the insight. Much appreciated.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:01 AM

159 posts, read 351,249 times
Its not worth it unless you have a high buck job lined up, up there. are you looking to stay in office work or are you thinking of joining the labor field. if u want to get an idea right now just take a look on Craigslist under North Dakota in apt/ housing an or rooms for rent. some are pretty comical. or theres the 2 sheet local newspapers. Ex Sunnymeader They say the traffic in Williston is becoming like HWY 60 at 6 am Just think Malibu prices

Old 07-10-2012, 04:11 AM

LOL Hwy 60, im in downtown riverside close to the 60. Sunnymead lmao aka Moreno Valley

I'm willing to stay a couple years and do just about anything. I'll work in the field, I'm used to that.

I figure i'd probably rent a room, do people rent rooms often up there?

Old 07-10-2012, 06:27 AM

14 posts, read 30,637 times
You should probably just move in with your friend as the only thing that's really available up here is RV spots. That will give you a way in here then after a month or so of working and meeting people you will be able to move to something better. That's kinda what I did I started in Watford because the rents not too bad but now I'm pulling the camper to a spot I got in Williston this weekend because the gas is killing me driving 100 miles a day. Hope this helped good luck.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:37 AM

36 posts, read 98,882 times
What are they getting for RV spots in Williston and what do they typically include? I was thinking it might be an option for me.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:50 PM

477 posts, read 1,507,747 times
Don't forget to look into the The Shopper, Inc. - Williston, ND - Classifieds, Help Wanted, Real Estate and More! a few of us have posted this link before, I just think it's pretty informative for the Williston and surrounding areas. Has both ads for places to rent/buy, help wanted, etc...and also there is a rather new publication in the area The Williston Trader: Your Guide to Williston, North Dakota kind of like the shopper basically. I am thinking that it is going to be fairly popular around the Bakken area.

Wanted to add that I did see an ad recently for social work, I can't remember for sure, but it may have been in Williston.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:22 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,117,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTMike7 View Post
What are they getting for RV spots in Williston and what do they typically include? I was thinking it might be an option for me.
It was discussed on here and I can't remember what threads. In Williston they're getting around $700 a month. Somebody posted that down by Watford City in somebody's yard, and he got a lot for $450 but had no water or sewer. The ones in Williston were regular RV parks so electric, water, sewer were part of the rent, but your propane is out of your pocket.

Last year, there were RV lots in Williston that had electric, water, sewer and they closed the 1st of October. There were also some that shut off services (water and sewer) because they were concerned about it freezing up. If you got into one of those places, a truck comes around a couple times a week and will fill holding tanks, another truck comes around and drains your sewer holding tank. So be careful about what rv park and what they furnish or what they don't furnish.

The lots that used to close during the winter, did so because of lack of people, so I have the feeling that those places are going to stay open, now that they can keep people there.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:16 AM

36 posts, read 98,882 times
Great information EH, apreciate it! I have heard that the city and county themselves are building RV parks and will rent them. Do you have any info on that? Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota