Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 08:03 AM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times

Advertisements

I have a question for those of you familiar with north central North Dakota:

How different is the geography between the Bowbells area and the Rolette area? Are they close? How about climate? I would assume that Rolette may be slightly colder on average? Rolling hills? Trees? Grassland? Lakes? Etc...

So, in essence, what is your impression of the geography and climate of the two areas. I realize they aren't that far apart, but I just want to get a feel for the areas. Please, no comments like 'those are really small towns' or 'they are in the middle of nowhere.' I know that, that's why I'm interested. My main concern with the area I live is geography, climate and sparse population.

I would also assume that the area around Bowbells is less populated than the area around Rolette?

Thanks, North Dakotans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 12:57 AM

20 posts, read 50,217 times
If you've done any research on those towns they are fairly small even in ND terms, I know more about Rolette as I've grown up in Dunseith (about 20 mins away). They are about 2 hours apart. The terrain is fairly flat with tree rows everywhere, there is alot of local farm/grazing land. If your looking for a colder climate, this would definately be the area for you. when Fargo has -40, that area is more like -48. thats a fact. If your looking for fishing your in luck because Rolette is just on the foothills of the Turtle Mountains, where there are quite a few lakes, right off hand I can think of about 15. Fishing is great, Hunting is just as good, Recreation is excellent!

I hope I helped.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:06 AM

Yes, that is helpful. Thanks! There is land available in both areas, and I'm trying to get a feel and decide whether or not to consider either area. Of course actually SEEING the land is the way to go... but the next best thing is asking on City-Data.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:04 PM

20 posts, read 50,217 times
Is there anything else you want to know about the Rolette area?

Old 03-14-2010, 09:54 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yes, that is helpful. Thanks! There is land available in both areas, and I'm trying to get a feel and decide whether or not to consider either area. Of course actually SEEING the land is the way to go... but the next best thing is asking on City-Data.
You can try google maps and then click on the person icon and you can get the pictures taken from the highway in both areas. We have in-laws in both locations....not in those town per se....but nearby....and both areas are pretty similar. As the previous poster said....Rolette is a bit more hilly (rolling hills) and you can see the higher terrain of the Turtle Mountains in the distance. Bowbells is a bit flatter. Both are agricultural areas and not heavily forested and pretty open....though Rolette area would have a bit more trees due to a slightly wetter climate than out in northwest ND.

You hit the jackpot for cold weather as both areas are indeed among the coldest in the state and nation.

Rolette would be a bit closer to some larger population centers...such as Devils Lake and even Minot and Grand Forks.

Dan

Old 03-15-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynadeau View Post
Is there anything else you want to know about the Rolette area?
Just wanting to get a better feel for the area. Again, I'm mostly concerned with climate and geography. So, your response was right along the lines I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
You can try google maps and then click on the person icon and you can get the pictures taken from the highway in both areas. We have in-laws in both locations....not in those town per se....but nearby....and both areas are pretty similar. As the previous poster said....Rolette is a bit more hilly (rolling hills) and you can see the higher terrain of the Turtle Mountains in the distance. Bowbells is a bit flatter. Both are agricultural areas and not heavily forested and pretty open....though Rolette area would have a bit more trees due to a slightly wetter climate than out in northwest ND.

You hit the jackpot for cold weather as both areas are indeed among the coldest in the state and nation.

Rolette would be a bit closer to some larger population centers...such as Devils Lake and even Minot and Grand Forks.

Dan
I've been 'Google earthing' both areas. I'll have to check other google/yahoo maps for more pictures. From your response (and the other one), it sounds like Rolette area would be more my ideal. I have been looking at Bottineau for quite a while also. I just saw some properties in Bowbells and Rolette, and was curious about them, since they were fairly close to Bottineau area and were quite cheap. There is also some land near Bottineau that looks really nice (hilly and trees), but that's a bit out of my league at this point.

It's interesting how there doesn't seem to be much 'subdivided' land in ND (as in 5 to 20 acre parcels). It's usually small lots in towns (or mega-expensive ground near the cities), or huge tracts of farm/pasture ground out in the countryside. Other places tend to have lots of 'mini-ranch' parcels. Not so much in North Dakota!

Old 03-15-2010, 12:04 PM

3 posts, read 6,783 times
Maybe I can help you find something in/near Rolette. What are you looking for? A house on acreage or in town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota