Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 10:29 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times

Advertisements

The Y is a wonderful resource. I agree with Karen Rice - the summer is a hard time to be new for teens and tweens - most have set plans and set friends.

Vacation Bible Schools are open to everyone and are free of charge! They offer a variety of fun summer camp like activities that might surprise you - with the Good Book worked in!
My church has had everything from crafts to water park trips to a pool filled with Jello!
At the end there is a barbeque where the families get to know each other!
Not every one is ultra religious - many are just neighborhood people looking for something for their kids to do.
But hey a little faith never hurt anyone...
and some people do end up finding a warm a welcoming church home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 10:52 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,142,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I always had the answer for a kid who was "bored". A bucket of water, a mop and a broom. And when you finish that, the grass needs to be cut and the weeds pulled.

Let me tell you, the boredom disappeared pronto, and the kid found activities and friends to occupy the time. Today, the times being what they are, the kid would probably turn me into Family Services for slavery.

MOM , Is That You ?

Old 06-22-2010, 11:13 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,959,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
MOM , Is That You ?
Get off the computer and clean up the basement!! LOL

Old 06-22-2010, 11:26 AM

theatergypsy - you crack me up!
It's only 2 days into summer vacation at my house and the "B" word just reared it's ugly head.
So I introduced these two malcontents to a vacuum and a rake.
No more boredom here!

Old 06-22-2010, 11:32 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,827,904 times
Penn State has a lot of different kinds of summer camps: Penn State Worthington Scranton: 2010 Nittany Cub Camp Descriptions

Old 06-22-2010, 11:48 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,142,584 times
Quote:
Get off the computer and clean up the basement!! LOL

Are you a little old Italian lady too ?

Old 06-22-2010, 03:02 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
I always had the answer for a kid who was "bored". A bucket of water, a mop and a broom. And when you finish that, the grass needs to be cut and the weeds pulled.

Let me tell you, the boredom disappeared pronto, and the kid found activities and friends to occupy the time. Today, the times being what they are, the kid would probably turn me into Family Services for slavery.

LOL So punish a kid for voicing their thought or feeling? Is that from Parenting 101? I missed that rule!

Old 06-22-2010, 03:03 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
My older son said he was bored the other day - he's 6. So we went to the library, he picked out some regular books and some audio books. He has been content with that and other stuff like painting, watching TV, playing outside etc since.

I guess I don't see what is so wrong with a kid saying he's bored.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:45 PM

Being "bored" can mean different things to tweens and teens than it does to younger kids.

With teenagers it can be code for "I need money and a ride to the mall"
Or worse "All of my friends are on vacation in ( insert the exotic and expensive destinations of your choice) and I have nothing to do"

Inference - somehow it is "our fault". We did not open the poo; this year because it was cost prohibitive. We are not going on vacation because we are looking for a house. And like all teens - they are not so keen on moving anyway...

There is a lot of pressure here - and that is why I can't wait to leave to a place where making 110K does not make you poorhouse candidates.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:40 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,625,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
LOL So punish a kid for voicing their thought or feeling? Is that from Parenting 101? I missed that rule!

How is teaching a child that there are responsibilities punishing them??
Helping maintain the roof they live under doesnt seem like punishment to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania